Bonnie/CB1100

petec_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Beautiful day today but spent it at home putzing around the house instead of riding. Gave both bikes a good clean, especially the Bonnie which has been washed exactly twice since I bought it a year and almost 10K miles ago; came away with it looking *almost* as good as new.

I have to confess to thinking about selling the Bonnie when the CB came home but have changed my mind. I was - naturally - comparing it to the CB and, in any objective way, it does come up short. But it's an honest bike and I really like it. In fact, I don't think it's really fair to either one to even compare them at all; they're different animals and, in terms of the all important 'emotive' pull, are sort of coming from opposite directions, really.

The whole 'retro' thing doesn't ring true with me anyway. I just want a classic ( in the sense of traditional ) air-cooled roadster that is spirited, reliable, comfortable, relatively economical, easy on the eyes and easy to work on and, when I ride it, will remind me of why I fell in love with motorcycling in the first place.

I've got that in both of these.




[url=http://s596.photobucket.com/user/pacwnc/media/004-7_zpsd49e4fc1.jpg.html]

Pete C
 
Heres a pic of my CB and my old Bonnie ( sold it to my younger brother). I really enjoyed the Bonnie, it was a very nice motorcycle, but was lacking in two areas for me, horsepower for carrying 2 up ( my wife and I toured all the National Parks in Utah and Arizona on ours) and braking power. My little brother absolutely loves it though, ( although he just bought a Yamaha FZ-1.from me for riding to the Ozarks this fall). Great in town solo ride, just not quite up to the task of touring comfortably.



I compare them, because I think both bikes are in the business of reliably rekindling memories of a different time or many of us.
 
Nice set of bikes. Sold my 2011 Bonneville SE to buy my CB. I loved my Bonneville and say to this day that if I could have two bikes I would have kept the Bonneville and added the CB. I think the new CB is a very special motorcycle and one I feel very proud and privileged to own. That said, the Bonneville will always hold a special place in my heart. I am proud to have owned one. Ride safe and enjoy a set of true classics. Now, if we could only get Kawasaki to bring over the W800.
 
Thread starter
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
Nice set of bikes. Sold my 2011 Bonneville SE to buy my CB. I loved my Bonneville and say to this day that if I could have two bikes I would have kept the Bonneville and added the CB. I think the new CB is a very special motorcycle and one I feel very proud and privileged to own. That said, the Bonneville will always hold a special place in my heart. I am proud to have owned one. Ride safe and enjoy a set of true classics. Now, if we could only get Kawasaki to bring over the W800.
Not sure if they would after the problems they had selling the W650. Folks here in the states clamored for it when the first spy shots came out in '99 then when the dealers got them here they couldn't sell them.

Great bike, too. I had two of them, both 2001 models; crashed the first one at 7500 miles and then bought another at a deeply discounted price from a dealer who was glad to unload it and ended up putting over 53K on it. Last I heard the fellow I sold that one to had over 80K on it with no problems at all.

Here's the second one:



Have to admit though I actually like the Bonnie better.

Pete C
 
Gentlemen,

I owned a 50th Anniversary Bonneville in Lucifer Orange and it was fun to drive around town. But like the member above said, the lack of power and just OK braking made it a bit boring. I loved the classic style and air cooling though. So then I bought a Ducati 900 Monster which was also air cooled and had great style with tons of power and amazing brakes. But it was uncomfortable to ride around town and wore my wrists out at low speeds with it's sport bike ergo's. My Harley Road King is comfortable, air cooled, and has great style but around town or on short trips it's really heavy, cumbersome, and slow. When I saw pictures of the new CB I loved it's classic looks and air cooling. So I bought one and BINGO!!!, this bike is the ticket!! It has amazing brakes, tons of power, hauls ass, and crisp light handling with a comfortable upright seating/bar position. It's a blast to ride and I think it's beautiful as well. Right On Honda!! Thanks for bringing the CB to America. I love this bike!!!

Chip Beck
 
Sold my Bonnie 3 weeks ago to purchase the CB1100. The Bonneville is a very nice machine and it was hard to let go. But ever since seeing the CB1100 I knew I had to have the Honda.

I got a great price selling the Bonne and the new owner got a great bike.

0c8669e0d9849f69cc81a346b59da8cf.jpg
 
petec_imp said:
Beautiful day today but spent it at home putzing around the house instead of riding. Gave both bikes a good clean, especially the Bonnie which has been washed exactly twice since I bought it a year and almost 10K miles ago; came away with it looking *almost* as good as new.

I have to confess to thinking about selling the Bonnie when the CB came home but have changed my mind. I was - naturally - comparing it to the CB and, in any objective way, it does come up short. But it's an honest bike and I really like it. In fact, I don't think it's really fair to either one to even compare them at all; they're different animals and, in terms of the all important 'emotive' pull, are sort of coming from opposite directions, really.

The whole 'retro' thing doesn't ring true with me anyway. I just want a classic ( in the sense of traditional ) air-cooled roadster that is spirited, reliable, comfortable, relatively economical, easy on the eyes and easy to work on and, when I ride it, will remind me of why I fell in love with motorcycling in the first place.

I've got that in both of these.




[url=http://s596.photobucket.com/user/pacwnc/media/004-7_zpsd49e4fc1.jpg.html]

Pete C

I enjoy reading about those who own or used to own the Bonnie’s and W650’s. Both are great looking bikes, I especially like how Triumph was able to fashion a fuel injection throttle body to look like a carburetor. I was seriously looking at a Bonneville, it is such a beautiful bike, but glad I waited for the CB1100. The CB1100 has that classic look with nimble handling, along with a silky engine and gearbox. Kudos to those who can have both a Bonnie and a CB1100.
 
I had a thruxton and modded it with all hand-made bodywork.
Loved everything about that bike but I don't find it in any way comparable to the CB... :s

 
Flynbulldog_imp said:
I had a thruxton and modded it with all hand-made bodywork.
Loved everything about that bike but I don't find it in any way comparable to the CB... :s
Omg thats gorgeous. :heart:
 
Flynbulldog_imp said:
I had a thruxton and modded it with all hand-made bodywork.
Loved everything about that bike but I don't find it in any way comparable to the CB... :s
Beautiful. Of course if I had a bike like that I'd probably drop it wheeling it out of the garage to wash it 'cause lord knows I'd be afraid to ride it :D:
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
Gentlemen,

I owned a 50th Anniversary Bonneville in Lucifer Orange and it was fun to drive around town. But like the member above said, the lack of power and just OK braking made it a bit boring. I loved the classic style and air cooling though. So then I bought a Ducati 900 Monster which was also air cooled and had great style with tons of power and amazing brakes. But it was uncomfortable to ride around town and wore my wrists out at low speeds with it's sport bike ergo's. My Harley Road King is comfortable, air cooled, and has great style but around town or on short trips it's really heavy, cumbersome, and slow. When I saw pictures of the new CB I loved it's classic looks and air cooling. So I bought one and BINGO!!!, this bike is the ticket!! It has amazing brakes, tons of power, hauls ass, and crisp light handling with a comfortable upright seating/bar position. It's a blast to ride and I think it's beautiful as well. Right On Honda!! Thanks for bringing the CB to America. I love this bike!!!

Chip Beck

Chip, could not agree more with you! I too have a Road King (Classic) and while I'll never sell it, it is what it is, as you described, and I love it for what it is in my life and the experience it brings my wife and I two up touring or round town etc.

So too, as you described perfectly is the CB1100. An amazing 70's retro with inspired technology that brings me right back to my CB750 days. The perfect 2nd bike for me!! Thanks for your comment, spot on!
 
Bonafide_imp said:
One of my Bonnevilles. Wonderful motos .. but (IMO) they're apples to oranges to a CB1100.

2e8513febe1ffea32354f901d05a35ad.jpg
Don't make me choose between my bikes! I love all four of them. The Bonnie has a 904 Big Bore kit am
nd other performance mods so it is faster than a stock Harley thank God! I am sort of an attention cuss when it comes to bikes and I like the attention my bikes get weather positive or negative!
Don't make me choose between my bikes! I love all four of them. The Bonnie has a 904 Big Bore kit am
nd other performance mods so it is faster than a stock Harley thank God! I am sort of an attention cuss when it comes to bikes and I like the attention my bikes get weather positive or negative! this is the Versys with my personal mods. Great one person all rounder!
Forget I can't get the pic reduced to post.
oldgoat01_imp said:
Flynbulldog_imp said:
I had a thruxton and modded it with all hand-made bodywork.
Loved everything about that bike but I don't find it in any way comparable to the CB... :s
Beautiful. Of course if I had a bike like that I'd probably drop it wheeling it out of the garage to wash it 'cause lord knows I'd be afraid to ride it :D:
Beautiful. Of course if I had a bike like that I'd probably drop it wheeling it out of the garage to wash it 'cause lord knows I'd be afraid to ride it :D:
I hate to ask what U sold thia attention grabber for?
 
Just wanted to comment about the Bonneville's engine and gearbox. The parallel twin offers very smooth power delivery but with that classic Triumph thumper sound. This is part of what attracts people to the Triumph twins. Quite different than the CB1100 4s silky smooth engine rev. I would have to say my Bonneville's gearbox was equally on par with the CB1100. Both are very good. While the CB1100 has a bit more power, I feel the Bonneville is a bit more tossable in the corners being a bit lighter and having 17 in mag wheels. Both are great bikes.
 
I have a bunch of bikes. Love them all. I guess I am as much of a collector as I am a rider. Love Honda's and Triumph motorcycles. I have a 2010 blue and white Bonny SE with arrow exhausts and some suspension up grades. The BC1100 if I can accomplish a few modifications will be right up at the top of the list. I'd like to have a gunfighter style seat which would lower the riding position just at little. Smallish fairing wind screen to block a little of the wind. I did install a fly screen which I had laying around and it went right on and helped some. Needs to be a little larger. Color matched side panels and maybe a slightly different style mirror (I think the factories stick up a little too tall)
Honda got this bike pretty much right. Also have a Triumph America which is interesting because it has the same engine as the Bonny but is an entirely different bike. Honda needs to continue to look back. One of my favorites is the Magna from 1996 to 2003. Love to see a "modern" version of that motorcycle. Wish Honda would have but a six gear in the CB1100. Like all Honda's it could really benefit with a little taller gearing (In my opinion)

I might add that Thruxton is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen. WOW I can't ride the Thruxton because of the seat to bar relationship but man that is a super pretty bike. I'd put that in my living room it's that pretty.
 
bubblerboy64_imp said:
I have a bunch of bikes. Love them all. I guess I am as much of a collector as I am a rider. Love Honda's and Triumph motorcycles. I have a 2010 blue and white Bonny SE with arrow exhausts and some suspension up grades. The BC1100 if I can accomplish a few modifications will be right up at the top of the list. I'd like to have a gunfighter style seat which would lower the riding position just at little. Smallish fairing wind screen to block a little of the wind. I did install a fly screen which I had laying around and it went right on and helped some. Needs to be a little larger. Color matched side panels and maybe a slightly different style mirror (I think the factories stick up a little too tall)
Honda got this bike pretty much right. Also have a Triumph America which is interesting because it has the same engine as the Bonny but is an entirely different bike. Honda needs to continue to look back. One of my favorites is the Magna from 1996 to 2003. Love to see a "modern" version of that motorcycle. Wish Honda would have but a six gear in the CB1100. Like all Honda's it could really benefit with a little taller gearing (In my opinion)

I might add that Thruxton is one of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen. WOW I can't ride the Thruxton because of the seat to bar relationship but man that is a super pretty bike. I'd put that in my living room it's that pretty.
pictures or they don't exist.
 
Quote:I hate to ask what U sold thia attention grabber for?
Right now I wish I had found a way to keep it. I didn't ride it much but I have a very small collection of bikes and many of them don't get ridden as much as they should, so that should not have been a reason to sell it.

It was (is) a great bike but far from my favorite. I have a couple that I hope to keep for a very long time. I shoulda kept them all!

I do move my collection around over time. The CB is the latest addition.
 
Back
Top