Bonneville vs CB1100

i have an 013 cb1100 and my buddy has an 013 bonnie standard. we ride 200+ miles together on afternoons regularly here in md. aside from make/looks personal preferences, here are the differences that i have noticed:

honda gets better fuel mpg (despite larger displacement)
honda is noticeably quicker up to 100 mph (we never go past that)
honda is smoother and starts easier (his bonnie is hard to start sometimes and has stalled several times in stop/go traffic)
honda seat opens and has helmet locks
honda feels and sits higher than the bonnie

overall both bikes handle and perform well and are a matter of personal taste. i have owned both types (former 07 bonnie) but i personally prefer the honda.
 
Capo_imp said:
This is a common thread subject across many forums. As an owner of both bikes, simultaneously, I can answer with subjective perspective. The CB is a 'better' bike based on the spec sheet and measured performance. I love it. But a CB1000R is a 'better' bike than the CB1100 on both counts. And so on. There is always a 'better.' But I can't honestly say that, if forced to, I would keep the CB over the Bonnie. I just find the Triumph to be an almost perfect motorbike that is loaded with imperfections. There's that 'character' thing again.

Retro bikes are often bought based on a good dose of the rider's personal taste, self- image, nostalgia, and perceived character of the steed. Of course performance, componentry, and comfort weigh in, but a good number of retro/ standard riders overlook significant demerits in those criteria if they fall in lust with a certain bike.

Bottom line is, as always, if you love a particular bike, don't waste time or create angst by comparing it to something else or rationalizing your decision to buy a bike by pointing out it's perceived superiority to the bike you didn't buy. I'll guarantee you there are Bonnie owners on forums flaming the 'fat, chromed, characterless' CB1100 right now. Hey, let's go kick their asses!
Sign me up. Those "puddin' bowl helmeted, scarf-wearing, jeans-cuffed up, hipster-British wannabes need an ass whipping. Problem is, they'd probably like it. Hairdressers, every one.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Rboe..it may have come down to you originally tested a 790 cc Bonnie with carbs and your gal pal had the newer 865 cc Bonnie with fuel injection
Not a bad guess, but this was a new demo with the injection.
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
This is a common thread subject across many forums. As an owner of both bikes, simultaneously, I can answer with subjective perspective. The CB is a 'better' bike based on the spec sheet and measured performance. I love it. But a CB1000R is a 'better' bike than the CB1100 on both counts. And so on. There is always a 'better.' But I can't honestly say that, if forced to, I would keep the CB over the Bonnie. I just find the Triumph to be an almost perfect motorbike that is loaded with imperfections. There's that 'character' thing again.

Retro bikes are often bought based on a good dose of the rider's personal taste, self- image, nostalgia, and perceived character of the steed. Of course performance, componentry, and comfort weigh in, but a good number of retro/ standard riders overlook significant demerits in those criteria if they fall in lust with a certain bike.

Bottom line is, as always, if you love a particular bike, don't waste time or create angst by comparing it to something else or rationalizing your decision to buy a bike by pointing out it's perceived superiority to the bike you didn't buy. I'll guarantee you there are Bonnie owners on forums flaming the 'fat, chromed, characterless' CB1100 right now. Hey, let's go kick their asses!
Sign me up. Those "puddin' bowl helmeted, scarf-wearing, jeans-cuffed up, hipster-British wannabes need an ass whipping. Problem is, they'd probably like it. Hairdressers, every one.
Sign me up. Those "puddin' bowl helmeted, scarf-wearing, jeans-cuffed up, hipster-British wannabes need an ass whipping. Problem is, they'd probably like it. Hairdressers, every one.
Don't you dare call me a HAIRDRESSER!

Cheers
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
This is a common thread subject across many forums. As an owner of both bikes, simultaneously, I can answer with subjective perspective. The CB is a 'better' bike based on the spec sheet and measured performance. I love it. But a CB1000R is a 'better' bike than the CB1100 on both counts. And so on. There is always a 'better.' But I can't honestly say that, if forced to, I would keep the CB over the Bonnie. I just find the Triumph to be an almost perfect motorbike that is loaded with imperfections. There's that 'character' thing again.

Retro bikes are often bought based on a good dose of the rider's personal taste, self- image, nostalgia, and perceived character of the steed. Of course performance, componentry, and comfort weigh in, but a good number of retro/ standard riders overlook significant demerits in those criteria if they fall in lust with a certain bike.

Bottom line is, as always, if you love a particular bike, don't waste time or create angst by comparing it to something else or rationalizing your decision to buy a bike by pointing out it's perceived superiority to the bike you didn't buy. I'll guarantee you there are Bonnie owners on forums flaming the 'fat, chromed, characterless' CB1100 right now. Hey, let's go kick their asses!
Sign me up. Those "puddin' bowl helmeted, scarf-wearing, jeans-cuffed up, hipster-British wannabes need an ass whipping. Problem is, they'd probably like it. Hairdressers, every one.
Sign me up. Those "puddin' bowl helmeted, scarf-wearing, jeans-cuffed up, hipster-British wannabes need an ass whipping. Problem is, they'd probably like it. Hairdressers, every one.
:rofl:

I dunno, the bike in post#11 looks awfully bulbous, especially the tank - it looks like it was left in the sun with the vent plugged.

For sure, I'd take a Bonnie if you gave it to me, and probably enjoy it for what it is, but I'm very glad the CB came along just at the right moment, so I didn't end up buying one and regret it. :thumbsup:
 
Dvassino_imp said:
Thanks for all your great comments. I'm really leaning to a new 2014 Cb1100!!
Dvassino,

I really like the Bonneville. But it's a bike I would add to a collection of bikes. I wouldn't want it to be my only or my primary bike. I enjoyed riding my Bonneville once in a while as a change of pace. My CB1100 could be my only bike and if I'm not traveling several hundred miles it is my primary bike. The HD Road King is still my choice for long distance travel. But if I only had one motorcycle it would be the CB11. Cheers.

Chip
 
I've had them both. I certainly don't think the Bonnie was underpowered. Personally I preferred the Bonnie over the Honda CB1100 just because of it's lighter and smaller frame (size). I agree the Honda is probably a bit better built but I think that's academic for the most part.

Want a nice bike? Triumph Thunderbird? Better then the CB? I don't know but you can pick up a used Bird for about $7500 bucks about the same as a used CB. I'd suggest riding all three bikes and picking the one you PERSONALLY LIKE. And don't buy an new anything. Save THOUSANDS and buy one with a couple miles on it.

I would suggest that if you had three bikes a CB1100 a Bonnie and a Bird and we all rode them back to back a majority would pick the Thunderbird.

I sold them all and bought a CTX700 so what do I know? I am old and fat and weak and that CTX fits my riding style best for right now. Don't knock any of them. Best is subjective. They are all good and I know you guys will not accept this but my Harley Sportster 1200 custom is also a nice bike. Probably not as nice as the other three mentioned but it's kinda sexy in it's own way.

I am just glad I can still ride a two wheeler. And fortunate to have been able to play with a bunch of them over the years.
 
Too many good bikes out there to choose from to not get a bike you like. Luckily most if not all are of very good quality no matter what the brand. Find what fits you, scratches the most itches as far as bikes go and go enjoy yourself. Life is short!

Share with us what you decided on too. Even if it's not the CB.
 
i have a 2010 thruxton that is reaching close to the price of a new norton with the mods i have done.i have ridden a cb for about 200 miles and stock it is so much better than my thruxton.as a platform to mod there would be no comparison.the triumph classic line is so overated and overpriced-no noticeable suspension,scary brakes,horrible handling-wobble,weave with a hinge in the middle over 65 mph.it took me 4 years and thousands of dollars to bring it close to the cb.i'm probably going to pick up a cb this winter.
 
Best thing you can do, next to gathering opinions, is ride them back to back if possible. I just did that - always did want to own a Bonnie. Pricing is similar, specifications are all pretty close once you get past the obvious things like engine, trans, etc. and both are solidly good looking retro bikes. Both head-turners in their own right.

Up until my test rides - just hours apart, it was honestly a flip of the coin for me.

After the rides, it was the CB by a wide margin.

But get what lights your fire. There's no "wrong" answer! :cool:
 
As another simultaneous Bonnie/CB owner, I thought I'd chime in.
I bought my mag-wheel version in Sept. 2010. A few months later, I read the first blurbs about the upcoming CB, and just about dropped a brick; I felt that if I'd known the CB1100 was coming out, I would have waited and not bought the Triumph. Fast forward a year and a half, and I had no interest in getting rid of the Bonneville, but I could no longer go without the CB in my garage, too...
My impressions:
The CB feels much more substantial, the fit and finish is in another class altogether, and is much more suited to higher speeds and/or light touring. Although there's only about a 20hp difference between the two, the CB feels like it's got about double the Bonneville's. The brakes are much more sportbike-ish powerful, and easily modulated, especially comparing it's dual front to the Bonnie's single front disc. The suspension is much better sorted, and even "plush" compared to the Triumph.
The Bonnie (disclaimer: my mag-wheel version has 17" front and rear wheels, and is much sportier in feel and handling than the T-100, etc.) is better suited to in-town rides, or canyon/mountain road runs. I know many people tour on them, but I've done even short freeway rides, and not been interested in doing it much in the future unless necessary. The Bonneville also feels like it weighs about 200 lbs. less than the CB, and carries its weight MUCH lower. Just try moving the CB at slow to walking speeds and not have it feel like it's going to fall over. I dare you (and you can read the experiences of several of the members here who have dropped theirs, just moving it around). Although the CB is no slacker in the handling dept., the Bonnie's lighter weight feel makes it much more confidence inspiring, at least up to the 7/10s or so (at most) I push it to these days. It's a much more "tossable" bike. In fact, it's a bike you can get on and ride very comfortably and easily, even with no previous experience on it. I've said many times that it's a great bike for both beginners and veteran riders. That said, I would not recommend the CB for beginners. The Triumph Bonnie/Scramber/Thruxton Twins also has an aftermarket farkle support system unlike anything this side of a Honda Civic!
And let's face it, they're both great looking bikes:


[url=http://s157.photobucket.com/user/mustangfeverrr/media/2014-6-19132_zps5579a90b.jpg.html]
 
The Spaceman_imp said:
Capo_imp said:
This is a common thread subject across many forums. As an owner of both bikes, simultaneously, I can answer with subjective perspective. The CB is a 'better' bike based on the spec sheet and measured performance. I love it. But a CB1000R is a 'better' bike than the CB1100 on both counts. And so on. There is always a 'better.' But I can't honestly say that, if forced to, I would keep the CB over the Bonnie. I just find the Triumph to be an almost perfect motorbike that is loaded with imperfections. There's that 'character' thing again.

Retro bikes are often bought based on a good dose of the rider's personal taste, self- image, nostalgia, and perceived character of the steed. Of course performance, componentry, and comfort weigh in, but a good number of retro/ standard riders overlook significant demerits in those criteria if they fall in lust with a certain bike.

Bottom line is, as always, if you love a particular bike, don't waste time or create angst by comparing it to something else or rationalizing your decision to buy a bike by pointing out it's perceived superiority to the bike you didn't buy. I'll guarantee you there are Bonnie owners on forums flaming the 'fat, chromed, characterless' CB1100 right now. Hey, let's go kick their asses!
Sign me up. Those "puddin' bowl helmeted, scarf-wearing, jeans-cuffed up, hipster-British wannabes need an ass whipping. Problem is, they'd probably like it. Hairdressers, every one.
Sign me up. Those "puddin' bowl helmeted, scarf-wearing, jeans-cuffed up, hipster-British wannabes need an ass whipping. Problem is, they'd probably like it. Hairdressers, every one.
G'day Spaceman and Capo. Thought this might interest you:

WARNING: Hairdressers and other sensitive souls should approach this link with caution. ;)

Boris on the Hipster

Cheers
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
As another simultaneous Bonnie/CB owner, I thought I'd chime in.
I bought my mag-wheel version in Sept. 2010. A few months later, I read the first blurbs about the upcoming CB, and just about dropped a brick; I felt that if I'd known the CB1100 was coming out, I would have waited and not bought the Triumph. Fast forward a year and a half, and I had no interest in getting rid of the Bonneville, but I could no longer go without the CB in my garage, too...
My impressions:
The CB feels much more substantial, the fit and finish is in another class altogether, and is much more suited to higher speeds and/or light touring. Although there's only about a 20hp difference between the two, the CB feels like it's got about double the Bonneville's. The brakes are much more sportbike-ish powerful, and easily modulated, especially comparing it's dual front to the Bonnie's single front disc. The suspension is much better sorted, and even "plush" compared to the Triumph.
The Bonnie (disclaimer: my mag-wheel version has 17" front and rear wheels, and is much sportier in feel and handling than the T-100, etc.) is better suited to in-town rides, or canyon/mountain road runs. I know many people tour on them, but I've done even short freeway rides, and not been interested in doing it much in the future unless necessary. The Bonneville also feels like it weighs about 200 lbs. less than the CB, and carries its weight MUCH lower. Just try moving the CB at slow to walking speeds and not have it feel like it's going to fall over. I dare you (and you can read the experiences of several of the members here who have dropped theirs, just moving it around). Although the CB is no slacker in the handling dept., the Bonnie's lighter weight feel makes it much more confidence inspiring, at least up to the 7/10s or so (at most) I push it to these days. It's a much more "tossable" bike. In fact, it's a bike you can get on and ride very comfortably and easily, even with no previous experience on it. I've said many times that it's a great bike for both beginners and veteran riders. That said, I would not recommend the CB for beginners. The Triumph Bonnie/Scramber/Thruxton Twins also has an aftermarket farkle support system unlike anything this side of a Honda Civic!
And let's face it, they're both great looking bikes:


[url=http://s157.photobucket.com/user/mustangfeverrr/media/2014-6-19132_zps5579a90b.jpg.html]

I agree with everything in this post. I have owned both bikes. Had a 2011 Bonneville SE Mag Wheel bike prior to the CB. Had the BC Predator Pipes and Arrow 2 into 2 map. The bike was awesome and I still miss it. If I could own both bikes I would. You are looking at two different price points on these bikes. The Bonneville is more tossable in the corners and has much more aftermarket support here in the states. The CB is a much higher quality piece and more refined with better power delivery. The CB inline 4 is ultra smooth but a bit buzzy. Nothing like the feel and sound of a parallel twin on the Bonneville with the right pipes.

Poppa Wheeley - Beautiful Bonnie. Wish I still had mine. Love what you have done with yours.
 
Way to go, Boris.

Thanks Pterodactyl.
 
>> Dvassino
>> Thanks for all your great comments. I'm really leaning to a new 2014 Cb1100!!

I believe you make a better choice. I see them all, Triumph, Motor Guzzi, BMW, Duc for their own idiosyncracies ... none have the kind of quality the CB has except HD. I like the CB enough that I ride it almost daily
 
I don't disagree with anything said here, but as someone who sat on both the CB and the Bonneville at the dealer, then purchased the Bonneville, here's my perspective.
The CB seemed the better deal: at the end of last season, there were a lot of non-abs 2013 CB1100s at dealers, and the sales staff said they'd been sitting around, so I assume I could have negotiated a good price. The CB came with tach and center stand, and these were accessories for the base Bonneville. The Honda seemed like more of a bike.
In addition, after finding this forum and all of the interesting people on it, I wanted to join the club. But the Bonneville fit me better. My inseam, crotch to floor, is 30 inches, and the mag wheel Bonnie has a 29 inch seat height. The extra height of the CB, along with a little extra weight, made it feel like more than I could handle. At the time, I had been riding for a little more than a year.
The Bonneville has been a good bike for me. It has great handling on mountain roads, is stable at legal highway speeds, gets me into the open air and makes me smile. :shy:I just completed a trouble-free 4500-mile trip.
 
SUPERCRUZ_imp said:
Papa Weeley_imp said:
As another simultaneous Bonnie/CB owner, I thought I'd chime in.
I bought my mag-wheel version in Sept. 2010. A few months later, I read the first blurbs about the upcoming CB, and just about dropped a brick; I felt that if I'd known the CB1100 was coming out, I would have waited and not bought the Triumph. Fast forward a year and a half, and I had no interest in getting rid of the Bonneville, but I could no longer go without the CB in my garage, too...
My impressions:
The CB feels much more substantial, the fit and finish is in another class altogether, and is much more suited to higher speeds and/or light touring. Although there's only about a 20hp difference between the two, the CB feels like it's got about double the Bonneville's. The brakes are much more sportbike-ish powerful, and easily modulated, especially comparing it's dual front to the Bonnie's single front disc. The suspension is much better sorted, and even "plush" compared to the Triumph.
The Bonnie (disclaimer: my mag-wheel version has 17" front and rear wheels, and is much sportier in feel and handling than the T-100, etc.) is better suited to in-town rides, or canyon/mountain road runs. I know many people tour on them, but I've done even short freeway rides, and not been interested in doing it much in the future unless necessary. The Bonneville also feels like it weighs about 200 lbs. less than the CB, and carries its weight MUCH lower. Just try moving the CB at slow to walking speeds and not have it feel like it's going to fall over. I dare you (and you can read the experiences of several of the members here who have dropped theirs, just moving it around). Although the CB is no slacker in the handling dept., the Bonnie's lighter weight feel makes it much more confidence inspiring, at least up to the 7/10s or so (at most) I push it to these days. It's a much more "tossable" bike. In fact, it's a bike you can get on and ride very comfortably and easily, even with no previous experience on it. I've said many times that it's a great bike for both beginners and veteran riders. That said, I would not recommend the CB for beginners. The Triumph Bonnie/Scramber/Thruxton Twins also has an aftermarket farkle support system unlike anything this side of a Honda Civic!
And let's face it, they're both great looking bikes:


[url=http://s157.photobucket.com/user/mustangfeverrr/media/2014-6-19132_zps5579a90b.jpg.html]

I agree with everything in this post. I have owned both bikes. Had a 2011 Bonneville SE Mag Wheel bike prior to the CB. Had the BC Predator Pipes and Arrow 2 into 2 map. The bike was awesome and I still miss it. If I could own both bikes I would. You are looking at two different price points on these bikes. The Bonneville is more tossable in the corners and has much more aftermarket support here in the states. The CB is a much higher quality piece and more refined with better power delivery. The CB inline 4 is ultra smooth but a bit buzzy. Nothing like the feel and sound of a parallel twin on the Bonneville with the right pipes.

Poppa Wheeley - Beautiful Bonnie. Wish I still had mine. Love what you have done with yours.

Well, thank you SUPERCRUZ - I appreciate the compliment! :thumbsup:
 
Back
Top