Bonneville vs CB1100

Dvassino_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I know this must have been a topic before, but can anyone who has some experience with both of these bikes give a comparison. I love the look of both of these bikes and need to make a decision next week. 2014 CB1100 Dlx or 2014 Triumph Bonneville.

Thanks,

Dino
 
From everything I have read the Bonnie is a nice bike, but under powered. It is also not as smooth as the CB nor as refined of a machine.
Again...all from what I've read.
 
Had both, and although they are both naked standard retros there isn't much comparison, the CB is smoother, faster, stops better, and is more comfortable. 88 hp vs 58, triple disc brakes vs dual discs, the dlx has ABS not even available as an option on the Triumph, the Honda also has a 6 speed trans vs 5 speed, Has a lot more gas capacity, and is physically larger. The Honda also has chrome head pipes vs stainless on the Triumph which blues badly quickly. The seat is a lot more comfortable on the Honda as well.

Thought of more...the basic Bonnie is one color, no tach, spoke wheels. In order to get two tone paint with typical Triumph scallops with knee pads, a tach, and mag wheels you have to upgrade to the SE model

ahh thought of something else... center stand is standard on the CB, a $250 option on the Triumph.

Honda has a much larger dealer network.

The Triumph was a nice motorcycle. The CB is a great motorcycle.

My 14 DLX and my Bonnie which I sold to my younger brother ( noticed the blued pipes and the gel pad on the seat of the Bonnie which makes the seat tolerable.)

 
You will have to spend a lot of money on the Triumph for it to be a Triumph. Pipe, air filter, seat, etc...... It will end up costing more than the Honda. The CB only needs a better seat. But remember, I have owned a Bonny and have rode a 2013 model also. For me it was the Honda in a second. Good Luck and God Bless...




Jayimpalaman
 
I had an 07 Bonnie Black. After pipes, jetting, desnorkling, it had a slipping clutch. After putting in Barnett clutch springs, it broke spokes, while replacing spokes, I noticed the rims were rusty.

It kept its value well. But the CB is in its own class.
 
I love the CB (big surprise), but honestly, I think it comes down to your sense of style when making a choice between these two bikes. You can find more modern designs that will outperform either bike in just about any category you could think of — with the exception of looks.

I'd say buy the one with the design that best floats your boat. The looks of one is bound to appeal to you more than the other.
 
I must agree in large part with the Ferret. Many CB1100 owners owned or still own Bonnevilles. At one time, I had 3 Bonnies/Thruxtons, didn't like the fuel injected 2009 as much, and kept the 2004 T100.
Although they may appeal to similar buyers, they are very different. In my opinion, the Bonnie's sweet spot lies below 70mph, the CB is composed at much higher speeds, never seems stressed. The Bonnie does nothing wrong, but jumping from it to the CB, the Honda just feels more naturally responsive, more refined, more forgiving, and does everything with so much ease.
Most remarkable to me is the handling - going into corners, you can pretty much pick any line, change lines, it complies, with no complaint. My only real complaint is vibration at highway speeds, which is simply not a factor on 2014 models.
Still, after all that, my usual first choice for a casual ride is the Bonnie, and likely the one I'd sell last. I've got a new car and an old truck, and I always take the truck.
 
My 2010 Bonne SE was sold to purchase a CB1100.

There is no comparison power wise. The bike is definitely underpowered. The Bonne has a 7000 rpm redline but is straining and buzzy when it gets there. A lot of folks do airbox mods, remover the 02 sensor and add aftermarket pipes to give it more pep. The 17" wheels allow you to flick the bike around quickly (and scrapes pegs easily) but handling gets a bit iffy at high speeds. And doing a 100 mph on a Bonne takes a bit of work.

There are a few idiosyncrasies such as the key on the left side of the steering assembly and a seperate key to lock the bike - on the opposite side. The seat, which is ok for short rides - is a real pain to remove. You have to pull a side panel to access the tool and then strain to remove to bolts at the rear of the seat. The bike does sit comfortably low.

The engine may still be made in England but the rest of the bike is made and assembled in Thailand.

Don't get me wrong. I really liked the Bonneville (loved the looks) and was a bit sad to let it go. But the Honda is superior in practically every respect.
 
Having owned a Bonneville SE (2012) I can vouch for what has been said here already, no comparison other than both being retros. The CB is superior in every aspect of performance and is vastly more comfortable. Considering my Bonneville and CB were about the same price, the Triumph comes off as being a poor value for the money. I do like the Bonnie and Triumphs in general but feel that the CB is a much better choice for the money spent.

8c3d4a7eb3482f60414fdba3b8e5f1db.jpg
 
I own both, and there's no question that the CB is the finer more refined machine, but the Bonneville is a nice machine too and I enjoy riding it.
I bought it primarily for the retro look and the fact that back in the day I wasn't into motorcycles while the Bonneville was in its heyday. The T100 has its limitations, and I know that, so accept it for what it is and just enjoy the ride.
My modest "fleet" covers all my ambitions for speed and comfort so it comes down to what I want from a bike on any given day. I make my choice and off I go.
I'm not one who buys a bike and then wishes it was something else. I'm not into trying to turn a sows ear into a silk purse. I make a few mods; add a few farkles and I'm done.
Ride; enjoy; repeat.
 
I've never owned a Triumph, but have admired their looks over the years. I particularly like the T100. A new one does cost less than a Honda CB1100, and trying to find a smoking deal on a used one is tough. I'm not tempted to switch, but one of each could be fun.

~ The Bee
 
This is a common thread subject across many forums. As an owner of both bikes, simultaneously, I can answer with subjective perspective. The CB is a 'better' bike based on the spec sheet and measured performance. I love it. But a CB1000R is a 'better' bike than the CB1100 on both counts. And so on. There is always a 'better.' But I can't honestly say that, if forced to, I would keep the CB over the Bonnie. I just find the Triumph to be an almost perfect motorbike that is loaded with imperfections. There's that 'character' thing again.

Retro bikes are often bought based on a good dose of the rider's personal taste, self- image, nostalgia, and perceived character of the steed. Of course performance, componentry, and comfort weigh in, but a good number of retro/ standard riders overlook significant demerits in those criteria if they fall in lust with a certain bike.

Bottom line is, as always, if you love a particular bike, don't waste time or create angst by comparing it to something else or rationalizing your decision to buy a bike by pointing out it's perceived superiority to the bike you didn't buy. I'll guarantee you there are Bonnie owners on forums flaming the 'fat, chromed, characterless' CB1100 right now. Hey, let's go kick their asses!
 
"can anyone who has some experience with both of these bikes give a comparison" Dvassino

I don't think anyone is saying the Bonnie isn't a perfectly fine motorcycle. I loved mine even with the flaws, because it was a beautiful motorcycle to look at, and with a proper set of pipes to make it sound like a Triumph, a beautiful motorcycle to listen to, but it just performed ok. It just could have been so much better (btw it performs a lot better than the V7 Moto Guzzi which is also in this class of motorcycles). However performance isn't the only criteria when choosing a motorcycle, cost, fit, feel, looks, proximity to dealership, and personal preferences all come into play. Like Capo said, many consider Hondas characterless.. rather vanilla. I ride with my brother, riding my old Bonnie, at least once every week, and I don't run off from him, we ride at the same pace, mile after mile, day after day. He prefers the Bonnie, I prefer the CB. He thinks the Honda is characterless lol. He thinks it's a beautiful motorcycle, but too good (if that makes any sense)

BTW I felt the same way about the 750 Nighthawk. A wonderful motorcycle that could have been so much more. The CB 1100 responded to all the issues I had with both bikes. If the OP had asked me to compare the CB to the Nighthawk you could have taken the comments I gave in my post about the Triumph and inserted the word Nighthawk. I think the Triumph and Nighthawk are very comparable, although the Nighthawks seat was better.
 
The ferret_imp said:
"can anyone who has some experience with both of these bikes give a comparison" Dvassino

I don't think anyone is saying the Bonnie isn't a perfectly fine motorcycle. I loved mine even with the flaws, because it was a beautiful motorcycle to look at, and with a proper set of pipes to make it sound like a Triumph, a beautiful motorcycle to listen to, but it just performed ok. It just could have been so much better (btw it performs a lot better than the V7 Moto Guzzi which is also in this class of motorcycles). However performance isn't the only criteria when choosing a motorcycle, cost, fit, feel, looks, proximity to dealership, and personal preferences all come into play. Like Capo said, many consider Hondas characterless.. rather vanilla. I ride with my brother, riding my old Bonnie, at least once every week, and I don't run off from him, we ride at the same pace, mile after mile, day after day. He prefers the Bonnie, I prefer the CB. He thinks the Honda is characterless lol. He thinks it's a beautiful motorcycle, but too good (if that makes any sense)

BTW I felt the same way about the 750 Nighthawk. A wonderful motorcycle that could have been so much more. The CB 1100 responded to all the issues I had with both bikes. If the OP had asked me to compare the CB to the Nighthawk you could have taken the comments I gave in my post about the Triumph and inserted the word Nighthawk. I think the Triumph and Nighthawk are very comparable, although the Nighthawks seat was better.
+1 to that. I really like the Bonnie but to me, the CB is far better. As for the CB being too good, after owning a Moto Guzzi Breva for nearly two years, you learn to appreciate "too good".
 
I test road a T100 two years ago, great seat, good ergos, uninspiring handling and motor. Especially the motor. This spring I took a gals Bonnie for a test ride (the cheaper one with only a speedo) and the motor was much better. After market pipes made that much of a difference. Smaller front wheel helped the handling. It was a nice machine and I was impressed.

I think the CB is made to a higher standard and one can nit pik the two bikes and I would not trade my CB for one. But the Bonnie is a nice bike, some friends have them and they do well by them. The only way you could go wrong with it, if it did not fit you or did not do the job you bought it for. And that goes for either bike (as evidenced by the used CB's on the market, while a great bike, it's not for everyone).

Frankly, I think it boils down to guys that like twins and those that prefer in line fours or just about any motor. I like any good motor. :)
 
Gentlemen,

I owned both as well. The Bonneville is a much smaller and lighter bike. I had a T100 in Lucifer Orange like Ferret's. The Bonnie is fun around town but it's lack of power is limiting. The CB1100 is a lot more comparable to the Triumph Thunderbird than the Bonnie. Comparing a Bonneville to the CB11 is like comparing a CB350 to a CB175. Cheers.

Chip
 
Rboe..it may have come down to you originally tested a 790 cc Bonnie with carbs and your gal pal had the newer 865 cc Bonnie with fuel injection
 
Back
Top