BMW's new R1300GS

Over at the Africa Twin Forum a few members are pushing the topic hard.

(yawn) Yeah, members seem to go to and come from BMW. So it almost seems like a draw.
 
I simply wouldn't consider a BMW (or any Euro bike for that matter). Riding them generally doesn't suit me, plus the dealership network is thin, and they are more expensive than their Japanese counterparts.
 
Just don’t like that style motorcycle.
 
Thread starter
LOL I should lurk over at the Africa Twin forum.

Yeah it could be argued you're better just staying with Japanese stuff, but unfortunately this eliminates a lot of interesting and very good motorcycles. I often think back to when the Japanese bikes were innovative, cutting edge, state of the art, and the European bikes were dated.....
OTOH perhaps my most pleasant experiences on European motorcycles were with the older low tech ones. I gravitated to Guzzi's and airheads because of their simplicity and handling, over high tech complicated Japanese bikes of the time. As I've mentioned before, the V85TT takes me back to to those days. A couple weeks ago I spent a couple hours setting the valves (next time will probably only take one hour). Doing so on a shift cam R1300GS would likely involve me taking it to the dealer who has the tools and shims.

Regardless it's nice having all the choices.
clearviewx_imp said:
Just don’t like that style motorcycle.
Adventure bikes certainly aren't for everyone. But they're ideal for the way I ride and the roads I choose to (and some cases have to) ride on.

My Harley friends used to scoff at my GS's telling me how they weren't nice looking. I just replied Harley's are Ginger while the BMW GS is Mary Ann. But once I let a couple ride mine they changed their tune.
 
Ollie_imp said:
LOL I should lurk over at the Africa Twin forum.

Yeah it could be argued you're better just staying with Japanese stuff, but unfortunately this eliminates a lot of interesting and very good motorcycles. I often think back to when the Japanese bikes were innovative, cutting edge, state of the art, and the European bikes were dated.....
OTOH perhaps my most pleasant experiences on European motorcycles were with the older low tech ones. I gravitated to Guzzi's and airheads because of their simplicity and handling, over high tech complicated Japanese bikes of the time. As I've mentioned before, the V85TT takes me back to to those days. A couple weeks ago I spent a couple hours setting the valves (next time will probably only take one hour). Doing so on a shift cam R1300GS would likely involve me taking it to the dealer who has the tools and shims.

Regardless it's nice having all the choices.
clearviewx_imp said:
Just don’t like that style motorcycle.
Adventure bikes certainly aren't for everyone. But they're ideal for the way I ride and the roads I choose to (and some cases have to) ride on.

My Harley friends used to scoff at my GS's telling me how they weren't nice looking. I just replied Harley's are Ginger while the BMW GS is Mary Ann. But once I let a couple ride mine they changed their tune.
Indeed, it is.
 
Ollie_imp said:
LOL I should lurk over at the Africa Twin forum.

Yeah it could be argued you're better just staying with Japanese stuff, but unfortunately this eliminates a lot of interesting and very good motorcycles. I often think back to when the Japanese bikes were innovative, cutting edge, state of the art, and the European bikes were dated.....
OTOH perhaps my most pleasant experiences on European motorcycles were with the older low tech ones. I gravitated to Guzzi's and airheads because of their simplicity and handling, over high tech complicated Japanese bikes of the time. As I've mentioned before, the V85TT takes me back to to those days. A couple weeks ago I spent a couple hours setting the valves (next time will probably only take one hour). Doing so on a shift cam R1300GS would likely involve me taking it to the dealer who has the tools and shims.

Regardless it's nice having all the choices.
clearviewx_imp said:
Just don’t like that style motorcycle.
Adventure bikes certainly aren't for everyone. But they're ideal for the way I ride and the roads I choose to (and some cases have to) ride on.

My Harley friends used to scoff at my GS's telling me how they weren't nice looking. I just replied Harley's are Ginger while the BMW GS is Mary Ann. But once I let a couple ride mine they changed their tune.
I find the V85TT road handling excellent. Better than the Honda Africa Twin. Better than the Honda CB1100.

It is weaker on power, but that wasn't the motive to acquiring the old-school-like machine. Certainly as with most bikes, there are trade-offs.
 
I have one of those (DCT version). Will turn over 35,000 miles on it Wednesday I think. Nice little bike, but not in the same class as a 1300 BMW. The NT 1100 might come close though, but Honda won't bring one into our country ..booo Honda

a7cdf41864b762937c0cb3a9a7f479ac.jpg
 
Thread starter
At this point I doubt I'll seriously consider a R1300GS. I do like they've made it a little more compact and lighter, and more midrange torque is always nice. But from my perspective there are too many negatives or unanswered questions.
1) First year for the all new drivetrain, engine, transmission, and driveshaft and FD.
2) It appears BMW has gobbed options in packages, if I want GPS prep I have to get it in the $3,800 Premium package?
3) Brakes now linked F to R, and R to F? I think that's what I saw. Can make maintenance more difficult and I don't want it.
4) Cruise is now adaptive, not sure it can be set to not brake if speed increases going down hills.
5) Shift cam valve adjustment, how frequent are checks? In this day and age anything less than 25,000 miles seems excessive and expensive.
6) I saw somewhere the maintenance schedule calls for the drive shaft to be replaced at around 50,000 miles. I need to verify.
7) Base price around $20K isn't horrible but it goes up quickly when you start adding options. Looks like $24-25K will be typical and that's before adding luggage.
 
Ollie_imp said:
At this point I doubt I'll seriously consider a R1300GS. I do like they've made it a little more compact and lighter, and more midrange torque is always nice. But from my perspective there are too many negatives or unanswered questions.
1) First year for the all new drivetrain, engine, transmission, and driveshaft and FD.
2) It appears BMW has gobbed options in packages, if I want GPS prep I have to get it in the $3,800 Premium package?
3) Brakes now linked F to R, and R to F? I think that's what I saw. Can make maintenance more difficult and I don't want it.
4) Cruise is now adaptive, not sure it can be set to not brake if speed increases going down hills.
5) Shift cam valve adjustment, how frequent are checks? In this day and age anything less than 25,000 miles seems excessive and expensive.
6) I saw somewhere the maintenance schedule calls for the drive shaft to be replaced at around 50,000 miles. I need to verify.
7) Base price around $20K isn't horrible but it goes up quickly when you start adding options. Looks like $24-25K will be typical and that's before adding luggage.
I almost coughed up my cookies.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Ollie_imp said:
At this point I doubt I'll seriously consider a R1300GS. I do like they've made it a little more compact and lighter, and more midrange torque is always nice. But from my perspective there are too many negatives or unanswered questions.
1) First year for the all new drivetrain, engine, transmission, and driveshaft and FD.
2) It appears BMW has gobbed options in packages, if I want GPS prep I have to get it in the $3,800 Premium package?
3) Brakes now linked F to R, and R to F? I think that's what I saw. Can make maintenance more difficult and I don't want it.
4) Cruise is now adaptive, not sure it can be set to not brake if speed increases going down hills.
5) Shift cam valve adjustment, how frequent are checks? In this day and age anything less than 25,000 miles seems excessive and expensive.
6) I saw somewhere the maintenance schedule calls for the drive shaft to be replaced at around 50,000 miles. I need to verify.
7) Base price around $20K isn't horrible but it goes up quickly when you start adding options. Looks like $24-25K will be typical and that's before adding luggage.
I almost coughed up my cookies.
I almost coughed up my cookies.
My riding buddy ('07 BMW) has a friend with more than 240K kms, and his drive shaft is as new.
He takes care of his maintenance.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I have one of those (DCT version). Will turn over 35,000 miles on it Wednesday I think. Nice little bike, but not in the same class as a 1300 BMW. The NT 1100 might come close though, but Honda won't bring one into our country ..booo Honda

a7cdf41864b762937c0cb3a9a7f479ac.jpg
Now Europe's No1 selling Sports/Tourer. But the Africa Twin product managers at Honda are fighting back. The 2024 Africa Twin Adventure Sports is ditching the 21" front wheel for a 19" and reducing the suspension travel lowering the ride height. About time. The regular Africa Twin keeps the 21" but the wheels are going tubeless too.
 
Seems the Africa Twin AS is being repositioned in the market for on-road use, yes. The standard model has always been targeted for off-road use.
 
Ollie_imp said:
Anybody considering one?

Nice article by Kevin Cameron on this new motorcycle.

The 2024 R 1300 GS Is a Change in Thinking at BMW
Interesting article, but the author says in one paragraph "Remember the principle of efficient structure: Move the material outward, away from the centerline." and then states in another "There has also been a concerted effort to move components inward, to be grouped closer to the machine’s center of mass." seems a bit like he was regurgitating marketing doublespeak.
 
Thread starter
He was referring to individual load carrying or frame structures such as frame tubes being thinner and larger which makes them stronger. Locating heavier components closer to the center mass is something different. Eric Buell focused a lot on this in his designs.
 
Whoops_imp said:
Ollie_imp said:
Anybody considering one?

Nice article by Kevin Cameron on this new motorcycle.

The 2024 R 1300 GS Is a Change in Thinking at BMW
Interesting article, but the author says in one paragraph "Remember the principle of efficient structure: Move the material outward, away from the centerline." and then states in another "There has also been a concerted effort to move components inward, to be grouped closer to the machine’s center of mass." seems a bit like he was regurgitating marketing doublespeak.
Many times Marketing wrongly interprets Engineering, whether intentional or not.
 
Ollie_imp said:
He was referring to individual load carrying or frame structures such as frame tubes being thinner and larger which makes them stronger. Locating heavier components closer to the center mass is something different. Eric Buell focused a lot on this in his designs.
Ah. OK. I also noticed in the article comments somebody picked up on the same seemingly conflicting statements. Your explanation clears it up. Ta.
 
There is much to like on the new bike and the adaptive ride height would be very welcome for my shorter 29" leg. I thought the similar technology on the Harley Pan America was superb so I'm sure it will prove very popular. I currently ride the "Low Chassis" GS with shortened suspension travel. I find the high-speed damping horrendous on it (worse than my CB1100EX) and the longer suspension travel 1300 with the adaptive ride height might avoid that?

Loss of weight is always a good thing so that is to be applauded, an easy win with a 2.5kg lighter lithium-ion battery so I would call the weight loss more like 9.5kg which is still impressive. They say mass centralised, that might not necessarily be in a good way. Has the COG been centralised but made higher by the repositioning of the gearbox under the engine?

Although the electric screen adjustment seems unnecessary, I will say I welcome it. It is a feature that I used all the time on my Tiger 1200. Up for high speed and down out of the way for town work. Anything is better than rubbish screen adjustment on the current 2023 bike where you cannot adjust the screen at anything over 50mph. A ludicrous situation which should have been corrected a long time ago. Big sales make you complacent!

The most disappointing for me would be the prescriptive way BMW like to do their suspension damping, same as the old bike. "We know best". I would have hoped for more rider choice in that regard. BMW Engineers "optimum" isn't necessarily your optimum. I understand their stance however, I suspect the majority of GS riders will want the bike to make the decisions for them and will accept what is given.

Regardless they will retain their place no doubt and they will sell very well. Would I ever own one? Never say never.:D
 
Back
Top