BMW S1000R review and comparison

Flynbulldog_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I just got a new BMW S1000R and I was asked to do a review of the bike:

I currently own what I believe to be the ultimate Naked sportbike; a Ducati 1098S Streetfighter. I love it and will probably keep it for many years to come but lately I've been craving a naked of a different character and I love 4 cylinder bikes because thats what I grew up riding.

I've owned a couple of MV Agustas and my last one was a 1078RR Brutale and while the bike is visually stunning and the engine character is sublime I just didn't gel with the seating position so after 4 different seat configurations I let it go.

I don't want a another vtwin like my SF so the KTM 1290R was out for me. The only other choices were the Aprilia tuono and the BMW S1000R. The tuono has a V4 and the sound that engine makes is nothing short of magical. The bike handles beautifully and it's very comfortable fitting me perfectly.

But I hate the flat colors that the Ape is only offered in and the engine makes no power below 5000 RPM. To me a super naked has to have torque from the bottom to the redline and top speed is not the objective, so the Ape was out.

The BMW does everything well, it fits me well and its very comfortable with a great seat. The engine sound is fantastic - so much that I wouldn't even put an aftermarket exhaust system on it. The bike is so fast it will blur you vision with a twist of the throttle. And, its quick and nimble while being stable in the corners. I would call this bike confidence inspiring making the rider feel immediately at home.

It does have a few quirks that I don't like; The engine is buzzy with a noticeable high frequency vibration sent through the entire bike. And while all of the technology is great, (it has stability control, traction control, ABS with 3 settings, auto adjusting suspension with user definable settings, throttle modes, and suspension modes, cruise control, heated grips, slipper clutch, auto quick shift, and I'm sure a whole lot more that I haven't discovered yet), I'm not a fan of the nanny cuss. If I want to do a burn-out or a wheelie I don't need no stinkin German engineer shutting the bike down to save me from myself. I've turned off the traction control but so far I've not been able to defeat the wheelie control, and that pisses me off.

Over-all I love the bike and the few little niggles aren't going to dampen my enjoyment. It'll take me a while to get to know and understand all of the electronics but I'm sure I'll find a way to get around the nanny controls.

 
That may be my dream bike! Lucky you....any deals or full MSRP? Lucky I have a wife and a CB1100 or I would have one of these too!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thanks for the write up, Bulldog, you've got great taste in motorbikes. Have you done any highway miles, and is there any wind management at all?
 
Thread starter
I did pay full MSRP but I got better than book value for the CB which made the purchase a little easier to swallow.

I just got the bike yesterday and only have about 100 miles on it so far. but I did do some hiway and the wind blast was surprisingly liveable. There is an accessory windscreen available and I'll probably be ordering it or an aftermarket version to try out.

Don't let the wife or the CB stop you from owning the bike your heart desires. If your wife loves you she'd want to make sure you're happy. :thumbsup:
 
Flynbulldog_imp said:
I did pay full MSRP but I got better than book value for the CB which made the purchase a little easier to swallow.

I just got the bike yesterday and only have about 100 miles on it so far. but I did do some hiway and the wind blast was surprisingly liveable. There is an accessory windscreen available and I'll probably be ordering it or an aftermarket version to try out.

Don't let the wife or the CB stop you from owning the bike your heart desires. If your wife loves you she'd want to make sure you're happy. :thumbsup:
Ever think of becoming a motorcycle salesman? :rofl:
 
Nice bike :). But in 3 months you will come back with a 14 deluxe! Lol. I don't know why all these bikes don't come with the slipper clutch. They sure do help when your burning up the curves in the roads. Lots of our gsxr guys are buying the BMW. But for them the wheelie control would have to go. I did not know it had that on it ride safe that's a fast bike
 
I keep trying to avoid reading about these (it could be awfully hard on the bank balance)...but I keep coming back. Curious about one thing you said that I hadn't seen mentioned elsewhere: the vibration. Is it a high-RPM thing, or always present? Just a mild buzz, or like hands-go-numb-in-15-minutes buzz?

I know vibration is a subjective thing, but...
 
Thread starter
pechorin75_imp said:
I keep trying to avoid reading about these (it could be awfully hard on the bank balance)...but I keep coming back. Curious about one thing you said that I hadn't seen mentioned elsewhere: the vibration. Is it a high-RPM thing, or always present? Just a mild buzz, or like hands-go-numb-in-15-minutes buzz?

I know vibration is a subjective thing, but...
Yeah, compared to the Honda its very noticeable at any RPM but I would call it a mild buzz - nothing goes numb, I'll be able to live with it.
The Spaceman_imp said:
You can't wheelie it? That's a pretty serious flaw for a "hooligan" bike.
It may be me. I contacted the dealer and he said there is no wheelie control in the "dynamic pro" setting (where I've had it since new). But it takes an awful lot of throttle and clutch to get the front to even lift a little.

It stills seem to me like the engine is being controlled when I try to wheelie it and the shift light goes crazy like it's indicating intervention (I don't know if that is it's purpose on this bike but it is on my Ducati)

If I have the wheelie intervention turned off and it's still engaging I'm not going to be happy...
 
It's probably different on the single-R, but I seem to recall reading that on the RR there was a plug beneath the seat you had to physically remove before all the electronic intervention went away.

If you're experienced with wheelies on other bikes, I can't see why a motorcycle with that much power would have problems unless something were stepping in to limit things.
 
I saw an S1000RR at a local Sunday hang-out near the Palm Beach track. I have to say, it was a gorgeous machine; the best-looking supersport I ever saw. If the R is as nice I can see why you bought it, although it's a pretty "apples and oranges" comparison to the CB.

One reason I haven't seriously looked at either "S" is insurance. Going from the CB to a supersport where I live means paying literally 10X for the same coverage. A Kawi Ninja 1000's insurance payments were $50 less than the bike payment per month, and I have a perfect record. I'd pay for the bike twice in 5 years; that's nuts. Did your insurance go up that much?
 
Thread starter
pechorin75_imp said:
It's probably different on the single-R, but I seem to recall reading that on the RR there was a plug beneath the seat you had to physically remove before all the electronic intervention went away.

If you're experienced with wheelies on other bikes, I can't see why a motorcycle with that much power would have problems unless something were stepping in to limit things.
Yeah, the dynamic pro setting requires the plug under the seat to be installed. I had the dealer install it before it left the dealership and put the bike in the DP setting just to make sure.

I'm not very good at wheelies but it gives me a little thrill when a bike can do them easily. This bike seems like it's going to take a little getting used to and some practice if I want to wheelie it.
The Spaceman_imp said:
I saw an S1000RR at a local Sunday hang-out near the Palm Beach track. I have to say, it was a gorgeous machine; the best-looking supersport I ever saw. If the R is as nice I can see why you bought it, although it's a pretty "apples and oranges" comparison to the CB.

One reason I haven't seriously looked at either "S" is insurance. Going from the CB to a supersport where I live means paying literally 10X for the same coverage. A Kawi Ninja 1000's insurance payments were $50 less than the bike payment per month, and I have a perfect record. I'd pay for the bike twice in 5 years; that's nuts. Did your insurance go up that much?
My insurance went down slightly from the Honda. I use State Farm and they figure rates based on the bikes displacement. I will pay about $210/year for this bike. My Ducati 1098R (1200cc) is about $240/year

I own 10 bikes and they are all insured. My insurance is very reasonable. I don't know if state laws have any bearing on insurance premiums but you might want to check into a different company.
 
Back
Top