BMW rider thinking of returning to Honda

Beemer Guy_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I have owned Honda motorcycles from the seventies (back in the seventies when they were "state of the art") and then I moved to BMWs. Yes, my handle name should be "Beemer Guy" but I registered on my phone and didn't see the typo. :s

Anyway, I saw a CB1100 this past weekend and fell in love with it. I gave up riding a few years ago (fear of Bambi and idiots on cells phones) but now I'm thinking of getting back. Given that I'm used to the comfort and control of a BMW (RT and GS) how will I like the Honda? There's not one anywhere around here (that I'm aware of) available for a test ride.

Thanks!
 
FYI: name corrected.

I'm sure that there will be others checking in with direct BMW experience that will be able to respond to your question.
 
From one "Beemer Guy" to another (K1600), I don't think you'll be disappointed in the CB1100. Engineering, build quality, fit and finish, are all equal to or better than the BMW. The bikes are so different that it's easy like them both equally . If you're looking for a retro styled bike, the CB is a great way to go.

Allen K.
 
I concur with Allen K. The CB1100 is not an RT. This is both good & bad. Being a naked/standard M/C, its simpler. No removing a thousand screws holding the fairing. No breaking the M/C in half to service the clutch. No adjustable windshield. The oil cooler doesn't play double-duty as a hand warmer. If you're looking to tour, the Beemer wins. I used my '99 RT as a daily commuter & it was too fancy, too many bells & whistles. The CB1100 is perfect.
 
From a Beemer Guy who rode RT's 1100 and 1200's I can give you some insight. I sold my bikes and didn't go back to another RT because quite frankly I don't ride that kind of riding anymore. I have a CB1100 Deluxe and I really enjoy it. I do mostly 40-100 mile back road days and this bike is perfect for that type of riding. If I was going to do some long distance riding I think I would buy a pre-ridden R12RT though. I would not sell my CB to get one it would have to be an additional bike. I have never been more satisfied with a bike. I think the CB could handle long distance rides with some type of cruise control and bags but I love my bike with a small fairing and a small tail bag as it fits my style of riding. Btw I love going out in my garage at night and just looking at it. I don't think I did that much with my R12RT's. Great bikes but not beautiful.
 
I would agree with all the posted comments. Two different bikes. I have both and enjoy riding both of them. I ride my RT on longer rides and my CB
for shorter jaunts around town. No, you wont be disapointed with the CB 1100 as it is a true retro styled bike. Get back into the game.
 
I've owned about a dozen different BMW's over the years (R's, K's, F's) and currently have three in the garage next to my CB. As others have mentioned, they're different bikes for different reasons. When I'm riding the Honda, I miss the suspension, handling, and agility of the Beemers. But I feel good on the Honda. It's a more elemental bike and brings me right back to the '70's, which is why I bought it. That being said, for anything more than a 300-400 mile day, the CB stays home. I don't think you'd need to worry about quality or workmanship. The CB is a very nice bike, and as you probably know, BMW's can have their issues.
 
For those that say the CB1100 is not up to long distance touring, I disagree. I have done several 200+ mile days on my CB and the only issue I have with it is the seat. I can see no reason why I could not string several 300+ mile days back to back. All it really needs is a windscreen (on order) and saddle bags (on order). Already have a tail bag.

Back in the 70's I had a CB750 and went on several multi week 3000k plus mile vacations without any problems. That 750 did not have near the suspension that the 1100 has. Those vacations were two up with camping gear.

The 1100 is replacing a 2012 BMW R1200R. I took the R (didn't have the 1100 yet) to Abilene, TX for my grandson's HS graduation in May of this year. The trip was over 5k miles. Had no problems other than my right hand goes numb after about 50 miles. CrampBuster helped. That has been a problem since new and I have tried several remedies to solve it. None have worked. Would have ridden the 1100 if I had it.

I am expecting the 1100 to perform as good as the R, plus my right hand does not go numb.
 
I have taken several multi day multi thousand mile trips on my CBs both 13 and 14 dlx and although not what I would consider the best tool for that job it certainly did a yeomans job of performing the task. It is a reasonable powered standard that can be pressed to do many things and it will do them all fairly well, but perhaps not as well as a purpose built bike for a given job. It will never imo take the place of a dedicated touring bike in a touring situation, so if that is what you want this bike will fall short. However if you are looking for a more multi purpose tool, I think the CB will ultimately please you.
 
Interesting.

As a former R1200GS owner...the quality of the CB1100 is, at least, equal.

Not only assembly; but fuel-injection mapping; general operation. You will find the steering suspension on the CB is neutral, which differs from the BMW.

Performance, as you can see from horsepower ratings, is going to be lower. But, I'm projecting (others can correct me) down the road, maintenance costs will be FAR lower.

Yes, chain-drive is more primative than a shaft. But the elaborate maintenance of a modern BMW, versus the lower-cost upkeep of a Honda...makes the tradeoff more worth it.

Bottom Line: The Honda CB1100, a "retro" model, is also a proven design - and will deliver value; and which is technologically up-to-date.
 
Thread starter
Thanks all for the comments - keep 'em coming!

I was telling a friend of mine that I'd really prefer to have ABS. All of my BMWs had it, although I never used it except in braking exercises, it's a comfort to know that in a panic you can just squeeze for all you're worth and the bike will stop el pronto. (Yes, I'm bilingual ;) )

My days of long-distance touring are behind me, not that I was ever really crazy about it in the first place. Butt, knees, wrists; they all get sore after an hour or so, and I'm good with short Sunday rides. But I did like the ride comfort of the big BMWs, and that's one of the things I wonder about since I'm going to have to fly to Colorado to get a test ride (thanks for the offer!).
 
I own two BMW's (1100 RT and F650 GS) and picked up a 2014 CB1100 Standard last year. So impressed with Honda that I am planning on purchasing a 2016 Africa Twin when it is released in the Spring. Love my BMW's but am disappointed with the high price to get into a new bike and the issues BMW has had with reliability recently.
 
Having chain drive is not the handicap that it was in past times. I've adjusted mine twice I think. First time was within the first 600 miles which is normal for a new chain. I use Tirox Synthetic chain lube which dries like a wax and leaves no sticky residue or fling on the chain. The chain stays quite clean between lubes which I do about every 300 to 400 miles. With the center stand this is an easy chore that takes only a minute or two. I also like the option of easy final gear ratio changes that a chain allows. I have had a few shaft drive bikes, BMW, Kawasaki, Honda and Moto Guzzi and I do like the convenience of a shaft but also worried about the cost if the shaft drive ever failed.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
Having chain drive is not the handicap that it was in past times. I've adjusted mine twice I think. First time was within the first 600 miles which is normal for a new chain. I use Tirox Synthetic chain lube which dries like a wax and leaves no sticky residue or fling on the chain. The chain stays quite clean between lubes which I do about every 300 to 400 miles. With the center stand this is an easy chore that takes only a minute or two. I also like the option of easy final gear ratio changes that a chain allows. I have had a few shaft drive bikes, BMW, Kawasaki, Honda and Moto Guzzi and I do like the convenience of a shaft but also worried about the cost if the shaft drive ever failed.
Unfortunately, it seems that with recent BMWs in the USA, it's more of a matter of when, not if, the final drive fails.
 
A lot of people say the final drives blowing on Beemers is over blown, however I know personally of one fellow who has had 3 final drive failures. He recently bought an FJR. I'd love to have an R1200R but mentally, there is just no way I could ever trust it.
 
Thread starter
My personal, unscientific theory is that the final drives are fine if you are a skinny German guy riding to Austria. But if you are a typical (large) American with a three week supply of clothes in your side bags and tail bag with a 6 liter tank bag and camping gear strapped to the rear seat, all of that weight goes beyond the design specs and the drives go TU.

Me personally, I've never had an issue with the BMW FD units, but then I weigh less than a hummingbird and rarely carry a bunch of stuff, and I've usually flipped the bikes before they got too many miles on them anyway.
 
Beemer Guy_imp said:
My personal, unscientific theory is that the final drives are fine if you are a skinny German guy riding to Austria. But if you are a typical (large) American with a three week supply of clothes in your side bags and tail bag with a 6 liter tank bag and camping gear strapped to the rear seat, all of that weight goes beyond the design specs and the drives go TU.

Me personally, I've never had an issue with the BMW FD units, but then I weigh less than a hummingbird and rarely carry a bunch of stuff, and I've usually flipped the bikes before they got too many miles on them anyway.
Ah, I was going to post something, but I misread your comment. I agree that the shaft drives are probably more fragile than chains, however, they offer some advantages: they're sealed against weather and their maintenance interval is a lot higher. BMW has shaft drive on their K1600 which is a 700+lbs bike with 125+lbs/ft torque. I haven't heard much, if any, on shaft drive failures on that bike.
 
AzBob_imp said:
Beemer Guy_imp said:
My personal, unscientific theory is that the final drives are fine if you are a skinny German guy riding to Austria. But if you are a typical (large) American with a three week supply of clothes in your side bags and tail bag with a 6 liter tank bag and camping gear strapped to the rear seat, all of that weight goes beyond the design specs and the drives go TU.

Me personally, I've never had an issue with the BMW FD units, but then I weigh less than a hummingbird and rarely carry a bunch of stuff, and I've usually flipped the bikes before they got too many miles on them anyway.
Ah, I was going to post something, but I misread your comment. I agree that the shaft drives are probably more fragile than chains, however, they offer some advantages: they're sealed against weather and their maintenance interval is a lot higher. BMW has shaft drive on their K1600 which is a 700+lbs bike with 125+lbs/ft torque. I haven't heard much, if any, on shaft drive failures on that bike.
Ah, I was going to post something, but I misread your comment. I agree that the shaft drives are probably more fragile than chains, however, they offer some advantages: they're sealed against weather and their maintenance interval is a lot higher. BMW has shaft drive on their K1600 which is a 700+lbs bike with 125+lbs/ft torque. I haven't heard much, if any, on shaft drive failures on that bike.
true but you should search "the net" about all the other issues this bike is (in)famous for....

a google search with the word combination of the designation name of BMW's flagship, with the words problem or issue delivers a bit too much results
 
Of my three bikes, one has a shaft, the other two have chain. Don't think about either. What is nice about the chain; you can change your final drive ratio very easily (if not cheaply) and when it comes time to get new chains and sprockets - complete new drive train! Yay! Once you get the lube situation noodled out it's just not that messy like the good ol' days.

The one thing I do not like about my shaft drive (Moto Guzzi CARC), that CARC section is heavy and it's all that weight and the suspension has to accommodate it. Does not seem to be a problem in the real world though.

I find the CB to be VERY easy to ride; especially in town. She is light on her feet, plenty of low end torque and smooth. I think I have learned something new regarding me; for the open road I prefer twins. Just the thrum of a big steam locomotive that the Griso gives, it's more relaxing and organic - for me. There are many times I which the CB had the Griso motor (I never think the inline four would be cool in the Griso......).

But it does sound like the CB should be in your top three choices for shorter urban/country rides. I'm also fond of big singles and would recommend a big single dual sport - unless your inseam makes that a poor choice. There is more vibration, but it's not a buzz, and they are typically light and just a hoot to toss around on the road (the KLR is not so light). Kinda like what motorcycling use to be before things got so complicated. :)
 
Back
Top