BMW boxers

jitaylor_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
the r1200 rs has been calling out to me for a while. Thing is, I just can't get past the engine heads sticking out the side like that. Are they prone to being damaged like I imagine? I know people put about US$2,000 in protection bars on them after they buy them, but, is that really necessary? Everyone knows it is a very good engine and all, but all motorcycles fall over at some point. I just wondered what the practical reality is. Any tales from you BMW guys or ex-BMW guys would be most interesting.
 
I've had three boxers and am now on my fourth. I've never had an issue with the opposed cylinder heads, but I've never dropped any of these bikes, either. The valve covers are inexpensive (<$100) if you do have a mishap, but you're not going to break the cylinders off the engine block if that's what you're worried about. But as I wrote elsewhere, ride one before you fall in love with it. You may not care for the engine and gearbox.
 
My one and only BMW was a '73 R/75. Never had an issue with the opposed cylinder layout. I dropped it on the right side when I hit an oily patch on an expressway cloverleaf. Only damae was a broken front brake lever and some metal ground off the valve cover. Rode the bike on to work afterwards and never botherd to replace the cover.
 
I rented an R 1200R in Europe in 2010. I liked the bike overall except for 2 things. One, like all Euros I have ridden, they are geared to the moon. 5th and 6th gear were useless unless on the autobahn. It didn't seem to like running until it was over 4000 rpms. A lot of tight turns I could take in second or third on my personal bikes required being in first gear on the Beemer. Secondly the left and right turn signal switches were on their respective sides. Beemer riders seem to like that. I didn't. I prefer the Japanese style toggle left or right from left switch push to cancel. But the bike ran well, shifted well, braked really well and overall was very enjoyable.

I did drop the bike while sitting still and put a small scratch on the cyl head cover and left saddlebag.

I love looking at the horizontal cyl heads and have expressed the opinion that the 1977 BMW R100/7 in Orange is one of the top 3 most beautiful bikes ever built..along with the 1999 MV Agusta F4 in red/silver and the 1967 Triumph Bonneville in Burgoyne and white.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I rented an R 1200R in Europe in 2010. I liked the bike overall except for 2 things. One, like all Euros I have ridden, they are geared to the moon. 5th and 6th gear were useless unless on the autobahn. It didn't seem to like running until it was over 4000 rpms. A lot of tight turns I could take in second or third on my personal bikes required being in first gear on the Beemer. Secondly the left and right turn signal switches were on their respective sides. Beemer riders seem to like that. I didn't. I prefer the Japanese style toggle left or right from left switch push to cancel. But the bike ran well, shifted well, braked really well and overall was very enjoyable.

I did drop the bike while sitting still and put a small scratch on the cyl head cover and left saddlebag.

I love looking at the horizontal cyl heads and have expressed the opinion that the 1977 BMW R100/7 in Orange is one of the top 3 most beautiful bikes ever built..along with the 1999 MV Agusta F4 in red/silver and the 1967 Triumph Bonneville in Burgoyne and white.
No love for Vetter's Triumph Hurricane? It's always topped my list. :P

1954fc973da7703d9d29e0548fd6b760.jpg
 
Flynrider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I rented an R 1200R in Europe in 2010. I liked the bike overall except for 2 things. One, like all Euros I have ridden, they are geared to the moon. 5th and 6th gear were useless unless on the autobahn. It didn't seem to like running until it was over 4000 rpms. A lot of tight turns I could take in second or third on my personal bikes required being in first gear on the Beemer. Secondly the left and right turn signal switches were on their respective sides. Beemer riders seem to like that. I didn't. I prefer the Japanese style toggle left or right from left switch push to cancel. But the bike ran well, shifted well, braked really well and overall was very enjoyable.

I did drop the bike while sitting still and put a small scratch on the cyl head cover and left saddlebag.

I love looking at the horizontal cyl heads and have expressed the opinion that the 1977 BMW R100/7 in Orange is one of the top 3 most beautiful bikes ever built..along with the 1999 MV Agusta F4 in red/silver and the 1967 Triumph Bonneville in Burgoyne and white.
No love for Vetter's Triumph Hurricane? It's always topped my list. :P

1954fc973da7703d9d29e0548fd6b760.jpg
No love for Vetter's Triumph Hurricane? It's always topped my list. :P

fab1cb280f9a6263eb8efec6d7003111.jpg

I love this bike! :thumbsup:
 
Lol nope sorry. The Triumph Hurricane was certainly unique and unusual, but I never considered it a classically beautiful motorcycle.
 
Lol no but laying it down on the right hand side and crushing those 3 mufflers might prove to be expensive. I imagine an oem replacement set of those would be more than a few grand.
 
I’ve been riding for 50 years and have owned over 40 motorcycles, but never a BMW. That all changed in 2017 when I bought a brand new R1200R LC and I love it. The handling is great but the roll on from 60 to 80 in 4th was a real eye opener!
 
Reproduction pipes are one thing, oem or a set of original equipment pipes would be something else I would assume. Maybe unobtainium.
 
Depends on who you ask. Lots of BMW aficionados will defend the design religiously, and others will be indifferent. It's no different from fans of other brands. Personally, I don't view the boxer layout as a significant feature or must-have. As I suggested earlier, try one before you swallow the Kool-Aid. You may find it's not for you.
 
As other's have said, no big deal if you lay it over. I owned a 1200GS I bought used and it had some nice little valve cover covers. When I went to check my valves on that bike, I pulled the covers off the valve covers and found some nice little scratches hiding under there. The rest of the bike, assuming no parts had been replaced, were unscathed. It was obviously a very low or no speed tip, so likely no other damage was done. There in lies an advantage of the boxer design. It often protects the rest of the bike from further damage since those cylinder heads allow the bike to rest and something close to a 45 degree angle. This also makes it much easier to pick back up.

This orientation also lowers the COG of the bike making it handle better and easier to ride at slow speeds.

One disadvantage, to my ear anyway, is the exhaust note. I always thought it sounded a bit "flatulant" and agricultural. Some find it quirky and enjoyable in it's own way. They aren't wrong. I've always admired the sound of a nice, prominent fart!
 
Back
Top