Bitter Sweet Day New N1K

CIP57_imp said:

As I was reading through your post, I was growing increasingly concerned that you were getting ready to "sign off" for the final time around here. Really glad to know that you'll be hanging around. That looks like quite the machine that you picked up. Hope you enjoy it!
 
My favorite bike up until the CB1100 was my 77 Kawasaki KZ1000. Great motorcycle. Only Kaw I ever owned, although I had sold them for years and rode a bunch of them. Even managed a Kawasaki shop for awhile.

Never really cared for their triples, preferring the Suzuki triples. Guess I never was much of a hooligan, and the gentlemanly nature of the GT Suzukis suited me more.

Wouldn't stop me from owning an N1K though. Very cool bikes.
 
Nice! I'm not a fan of modern bike styling, but Kaw did a very nice job on that one. The riding position looks friendly and it looks passenger friendly (something not many sporty bikes can say these days). For many years I've been saying that not much on bike dealers floors interest me, but I really like that N1K with its integrated luggage.

I'm going down to the Kaw shop next week to have them mount a tire for the CB. I'll have to get an up close look.

My first 4 bikes were various flavors of KZs. I'm a big fan of the Big Green.
 
Thread starter
Guth_imp said:
By the way CIP, the one and only Kawasaki in my life was a G31M Centurion. My dad found a deal on one that had been set up for short-track racing. I can still remember riding it for the first time like it was yesterday. It seemed so wicked fast it was scary.

Cool article from Moto Retro Illustrated on the Centurion

Interesting article, no carbs, trying to figure out where that fuel line is going? I just gave away a 1975 Kawasaki 100 enduro I've had in the garage for years for my kids when they where young.

It didn't look this good::
[url=http://s1034.photobucket.com/user/cipolla57/media/kawasaki100gs1975_zpsjqw4fds8.jpg.html]
Flynrider_imp said:
Flyn,

Its a real nice bike, had a chance to put 130 miles on it today. Very comfortable ridding position, great gear box and thee seat is not bad.
The ferret_imp said:
My favorite bike up until the CB1100 was my 77 Kawasaki KZ1000. Great motorcycle. Only Kaw I ever owned, although I had sold them for years and rode a bunch of them. Even managed a Kawasaki shop for awhile.

Never really cared for their triples, preferring the Suzuki triples. Guess I never was much of a hooligan, and the gentlemanly nature of the GT Suzukis suited me more.

Wouldn't stop me from owning an N1K though. Very cool bikes.
I would think its very similar to your old FZ1. They both have similar power and ergo's.
 
Good luck with the new bike, CIP. Like others, I'll look forward to hearing more about it. Glad you're sticking around.
 
Yes in character it is most similar to my Gen 1 FZ-1, which was another fantastic bike, which is why. I'd be glad to have one as a solo sport tourer. Power on the K bike is fantastic and in the right place, more mid range rather than on top. I think for 15 they also added additional rubber engine mounting, but I could be wrong n that. Correct me if I am CIP.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Yes in character it is most similar to my Gen 1 FZ-1, which was another fantastic bike, which is why. I'd be glad to have one as a solo sport tourer. Power on the K bike is fantastic and in the right place, more mid range rather than on top. I think for 15 they also added additional rubber engine mounting, but I could be wrong n that. Correct me if I am CIP.
I know there where changes to the 14, traction control, Cams, and ECU changes to add HP and lower end torque and the following::

http://www.cyclenews.com/410/22253/...--Kawasakis-Upgraded-2014-Ninja-1000-ABS.aspx

I did a search and can not find changes in the 2015, if you find something let me know.

Edit: Found it: Was added to the 2014 model year:

The Ninja 1000 features an advanced aluminum frame similar in design to the Ninja ZX-10R’s. The lightweight assembly curves over the engine, cradling it from above and bolting solidly to it in three places, with a rubber-backed fourth mount provided for added vibration isolation and torsional rigidity.
 
CIP57_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Yes in character it is most similar to my Gen 1 FZ-1, which was another fantastic bike, which is why. I'd be glad to have one as a solo sport tourer. Power on the K bike is fantastic and in the right place, more mid range rather than on top. I think for 15 they also added additional rubber engine mounting, but I could be wrong n that. Correct me if I am CIP.
I know there where changes to the 14, traction control, Cams, and ECU changes to add HP and lower end torque and the following::

http://www.cyclenews.com/410/22253/...--Kawasakis-Upgraded-2014-Ninja-1000-ABS.aspx

I did a search and can not find changes in the 2015, if you find something let me know.

Edit: Found it: Was added to the 2014 model year:

The Ninja 1000 features an advanced aluminum frame similar in design to the Ninja ZX-10R’s. The lightweight assembly curves over the engine, cradling it from above and bolting solidly to it in three places, with a rubber-backed fourth mount provided for added vibration isolation and torsional rigidity.
Perhaps straying *slightly* off-topic, but Traction Control !

I'm 100% sold on the electro-mechanical rider aids that are getting added to motorcycles nowadays.

The other night it was unexpectedly wet out and I had a ride home to do on the ZX14 (also in green BTW, my first green colored bike, love it). It hadn't been wet for at least a month. Couple that with steel trolley tracks to cross and I was feeling a bit nervous about losing traction and doing a low-side so I dial up power 'LOW' and traction control '3' (the setting with the most intervention).

Sure enough I had to roll over a set of tracks and I felt the traction control intervene and interrupt the engine as the bike crossed the tracks.

I am *sure* that it probably saved me (and if it didn't, I probably don't want to know !)..

Cool stuff these modern bikes !
 
If I were to buy a Kawasaki I would insist that it be green if that were one of the available colors. Etched into my mind from my youth, a Kawasaki in any other color almost seems wrong.

I definitely associate red with Hondas — "Ride Red!" (even though I own a blue Hawk GT). I also associate yellow with Suzukis and Yamahas (although blue has crept into this equation more and more). But Kawasaki, with its green, trumps them all when it comes to color/brand association. It works both ways: I really liked the antifreeze-like green that Honda offered the 919 in a decade or so ago. But it seemed so strange to me that it wasn't a Kawasaki.

How Kawasaki Got Its Green
 
I think the color thing came from the early years of motocross, where it was easy to identify bikes simply by the color of the plastics Honda went with red, Kawi green, KTM orange, both Suz and Yam chose yellow early on, but Yam changed to blue, Husky white, and it eventually bled over into street bikes, especially when sport bikes started wearing lots of plastic.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I think the color thing came from the early years of motocross, where it was easy to identify bikes simply by the color of the plastics Honda went with red, Kawi green, KTM orange, both Suz and Yam chose yellow early on, but Yam changed to blue, Husky white, and it eventually bled over into street bikes, especially when sport bikes started wearing lots of plastic.
I remember reading, way back when, that one of the reasons why Honda chose red was that it was determined that red was a color that still looked good even after a bike has been splattered with mud in the off-road arena..

(it was written in Cycle magazine somewhere in the early 70's (?))

sounds plausible !
 
Back
Top