bit more than brisk

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
I'm not sure how many days I have gotten to ride so far in Dec. I know we had terrible cold weather for about 10 days, I snow plowed on Dec 6, 9, 10, and 16th, waited all day for a plumber that never showed on the 11th and babysat my Grandson Riley on the 13th. So .. haven't ridden much.

Today the sun popped out. By 2;00 the thermometer had climbed to above freezing ... just barely.


Time for a ride. Disconnected the CB from the battery tender and rolled her out into the sun. She fired right off.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18029_zpsa91c0dc5.jpg.html]

snow was still piled in grassy areas
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18027_zps78a404c1.jpg.html]

I had hoped to hit 7000 miles on the CB this year and I was getting close when the weather turned sour. A quick check showed I still had 135 miles to go. Maybe I could knock some of that out today

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18030_zpsfbab2e34.jpg.html]

Threw on some cold weather gear and took off

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18033_zpse8333389.jpg.html]

The ride felt good. The roads were mostly clear, some patches of residual snow that I suspect had fallen off of cars, some small patches of ice in low places, and too much salt residue.The only scary moment I had, which wasn't bad, was crossing over a bridge over a creek that runs to the Ohio river. It was wet and slippery looking but I rolled over it ok.

I rode for exactly an hour, and had covered 42 miles. The only thing that really got cold was the finger tips on my throttle hand.
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18034_zpscb9462cf.jpg.html]

by the time I got home it has gone up to almost 36 degrees wooooooo heat wave

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18036_zpsf13a0830.jpg.html]

the salt residue made a mess out of my rims which I will have to hose off.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18035_zps541af0d6.jpg.html]

Now only 93 miles from my goal, with 12 days or so to go. Tomorrow is supposed to be even nice than today and a bit warmer, so who knows, may knock out that last 93 tomorrow.
 
Thread starter
gogoAZ_imp said:
I remember those days...brr...lol. It's a bit warmer here in AZ today, at a partly sunny 73 degrees.
Wish I could trade you :(
 
I've never really lived in a climate quite that cold, but I moved north from Tasmania to Queensland and I miss the cooler weather.

Yesterday it was a cool 26.3°C (79.34°F) and as I write at 0830 it's a balmy 25°C (77°F). It will be pleasant riding over to the dentist in a bit. :)
 
Nice pictures, glad you were able to get out. I hate that salt brine, they put that out down here now too. It's suppose to warm up around here in NC Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I really do not like the cold weather, I'm a summer time person.:P
 
The ferret_imp said:
I'm not sure how many days I have gotten to ride so far in Dec. I know we had terrible cold weather for about 10 days, I snow plowed on Dec 6, 9, 10, and 16th, waited all day for a plumber that never showed on the 11th and babysat my Grandson Riley on the 13th. So .. haven't ridden much.

Today the sun popped out. By 2;00 the thermometer had climbed to above freezing ... just barely.


Time for a ride. Disconnected the CB from the battery tender and rolled her out into the sun. She fired right off.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18029_zpsa91c0dc5.jpg.html]

snow was still piled in grassy areas
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18027_zps78a404c1.jpg.html]

I had hoped to hit 7000 miles on the CB this year and I was getting close when the weather turned sour. A quick check showed I still had 135 miles to go. Maybe I could knock some of that out today

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18030_zpsfbab2e34.jpg.html]

Threw on some cold weather gear and took off

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18033_zpse8333389.jpg.html]

The ride felt good. The roads were mostly clear, some patches of residual snow that I suspect had fallen off of cars, some small patches of ice in low places, and too much salt residue.The only scary moment I had, which wasn't bad, was crossing over a bridge over a creek that runs to the Ohio river. It was wet and slippery looking but I rolled over it ok.

I rode for exactly an hour, and had covered 42 miles. The only thing that really got cold was the finger tips on my throttle hand.
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18034_zpscb9462cf.jpg.html]

by the time I got home it has gone up to almost 36 degrees wooooooo heat wave

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18036_zpsf13a0830.jpg.html]

the salt residue made a mess out of my rims which I will have to hose off.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18035_zps541af0d6.jpg.html]

Now only 93 miles from my goal, with 12 days or so to go. Tomorrow is supposed to be even nice than today and a bit warmer, so who knows, may knock out that last 93 tomorrow.

When I read this, I started to feel bad for you. I just came back from a lunch time ride and it was a sunny 77 degrees.

Then I remembered all of those 110+ degree days that I had to put up with all summer and I didn't feel so bad anymore :D
 
Hey Ferret that's cold. Real brass monkey weather! Hmmm 34.2F - must get out my converter...........about 1deg C. I don't mind the cold so much. It's the conditions that go with it. Cold, clear and dry with nil wind is acceptable but wet, grey and windy is not for me. I know that the continental US gets more extreme weather than here in Oz so I have to admire you hardy souls that ride in the extremes of both summer and winter.

This June (mid winter for us) I rode the CB to the Alpine Rally at Yarangobilly, in the Alpine NP. The night time temperature of -10deg C (14degF) was cold but the weather was perfect. Camped out for two nights. On a cold clear alpine night the stars were like a myriad of diamonds on black velvet. If you have ever seen the southern hemisphere night sky, with the "milky way" in all its glory, you will know what I mean. The usual after dinner cup (or two) of Bundy warmed the cockles of the heart and I had no trouble sleeping. Alas, had to get up at 3am or thereabouts to "strain the spuds" - wasn't easy getting out of the sleeping bag but it had to be done! The best part was, in the morning, packing up the tent. Simply shook the ice off and rolled it up nice and dry. Easy. The ride out was cold but clear blue. No worries.

The Alpine rally is a bit of an institution with this year being the 44th. There were around 200 bikes. Everything has to be carried in by bike. Support vehicles not allowed. The award for longest ride was handed out to some bloke who came from Broome, WA. Around 9000kms + return trip. What a hero! I have some photos so, if anyone is interested I will post a link.

Cheers from sunny Sydney.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Hey Ferret that's cold. Real brass monkey weather! Hmmm 34.2F - must get out my converter...........about 1deg C. I don't mind the cold so much. It's the conditions that go with it. Cold, clear and dry with nil wind is acceptable but wet, grey and windy is not for me. I know that the continental US gets more extreme weather than here in Oz so I have to admire you hardy souls that ride in the extremes of both summer and winter.

This June (mid winter for us) I rode the CB to the Alpine Rally at Yarangobilly, in the Alpine NP. The night time temperature of -10deg C (14degF) was cold but the weather was perfect. Camped out for two nights. On a cold clear alpine night the stars were like a myriad of diamonds on black velvet. If you have ever seen the southern hemisphere night sky, with the "milky way" in all its glory, you will know what I mean. The usual after dinner cup (or two) of Bundy warmed the cockles of the heart and I had no trouble sleeping. Alas, had to get up at 3am or thereabouts to "strain the spuds" - wasn't easy getting out of the sleeping bag but it had to be done! The best part was, in the morning, packing up the tent. Simply shook the ice off and rolled it up nice and dry. Easy. The ride out was cold but clear blue. No worries.

The Alpine rally is a bit of an institution with this year being the 44th. There were around 200 bikes. Everything has to be carried in by bike. Support vehicles not allowed. The award for longest ride was handed out to some bloke who came from Broome, WA. Around 9000kms + return trip. What a hero! I have some photos so, if anyone is interested I will post a link.

Cheers from sunny Sydney.
I'd certainly be interested in the photos.
 
Thread starter
Oooh camping at 14 degrees.... Nippy!

Always good to see pics of motorcyclists enjoying them selves. Post up a link please.

It is 6:30 am here and already warmer than the high yesterday. Supposed to get up near 50, no rain today. My brother and I will be riding to lunch. I'll post up pics later.
 
Nice post. We have had only one weekend day here in the last several weeks where it was both "warm" (30s) and dry. It looked a little like in your pics that day. I sprained my ankle pretty bad the week before, so I missed getting out then. Hoping for a couple of rideable days over the holidays to get out.
 
Your CB looks great ferret! Sorry the weather isn't better. Its perfect riding weather here today; 60/70, but by the weekend its going be hot again.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
I'm not sure how many days I have gotten to ride so far in Dec. I know we had terrible cold weather for about 10 days, I snow plowed on Dec 6, 9, 10, and 16th, waited all day for a plumber that never showed on the 11th and babysat my Grandson Riley on the 13th. So .. haven't ridden much.

Today the sun popped out. By 2;00 the thermometer had climbed to above freezing ... just barely.


Time for a ride. Disconnected the CB from the battery tender and rolled her out into the sun. She fired right off.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18029_zpsa91c0dc5.jpg.html]

snow was still piled in grassy areas
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18027_zps78a404c1.jpg.html]

I had hoped to hit 7000 miles on the CB this year and I was getting close when the weather turned sour. A quick check showed I still had 135 miles to go. Maybe I could knock some of that out today

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18030_zpsfbab2e34.jpg.html]

Threw on some cold weather gear and took off

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18033_zpse8333389.jpg.html]

The ride felt good. The roads were mostly clear, some patches of residual snow that I suspect had fallen off of cars, some small patches of ice in low places, and too much salt residue.The only scary moment I had, which wasn't bad, was crossing over a bridge over a creek that runs to the Ohio river. It was wet and slippery looking but I rolled over it ok.

I rode for exactly an hour, and had covered 42 miles. The only thing that really got cold was the finger tips on my throttle hand.
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18034_zpscb9462cf.jpg.html]

by the time I got home it has gone up to almost 36 degrees wooooooo heat wave

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18036_zpsf13a0830.jpg.html]

the salt residue made a mess out of my rims which I will have to hose off.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/Dec18035_zps541af0d6.jpg.html]

Now only 93 miles from my goal, with 12 days or so to go. Tomorrow is supposed to be even nice than today and a bit warmer, so who knows, may knock out that last 93 tomorrow.

When I read this, I started to feel bad for you. I just came back from a lunch time ride and it was a sunny 77 degrees.

Then I remembered all of those 110+ degree days that I had to put up with all summer and I didn't feel so bad anymore :D

When I read this, I started to feel bad for you. I just came back from a lunch time ride and it was a sunny 77 degrees.

Then I remembered all of those 110+ degree days that I had to put up with all summer and I didn't feel so bad anymore :D

You know I would love to be a snowbird and have a second home someplace warm for the cooler months up here, but my wife would never be gone from here until after Christmas, and then our son and daughters birthdays are in Jan and Feb, not sure she could bear not see the grandkids for 2 or 3 months, plus my wife is still working. The most I can hope for is after she retires in 3 years we can vacation in Florida or the southwest for a few weeks in Jan or Feb every year.
Two interesting things I noticed looking at the photos you guys may or may not have caught. In the first speedo pic notice the tach is showing bike in warm up mode with a 1400-1500 rpm idle. Then on the end of the ride the tach is idling at about 1100 rpms.

Also notice the fuel gauge.. Still showing full after a 42 mile ride, however on the ride it had dropped a bar. Maybe being on the sidestand made it relight that last bar. I suspect when I go to ride today, that bar will drop immediately as I take off, and the next bar will disappear in about 20 miles or so.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Oooh camping at 14 degrees.... Nippy!

Always good to see pics of motorcyclists enjoying them selves. Post up a link please.

It is 6:30 am here and already warmer than the high yesterday. Supposed to get up near 50, no rain today. My brother and I will be riding to lunch. I'll post up pics later.
My pleasure. Please see new thread: 44th Alpine Rally - Yarrangobilly (Aust)
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:

Don't forget to add some fuel stabilizer.

Already done, as soon as I got home from ride. There was already seafoam in the tank I was riding on too.

Pterodactyl_imp said:
My pleasure. Please see new thread: 44th Alpine Rally - Yarrangobilly (Aust)

Thank you sir! Will check it out.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Oooh camping at 14 degrees.... Nippy!

Always good to see pics of motorcyclists enjoying them selves. Post up a link please.

It is 6:30 am here and already warmer than the high yesterday. Supposed to get up near 50, no rain today. My brother and I will be riding to lunch. I'll post up pics later.
I am planning a trip out west this spring, New Mexico, Arizona, up to the Grand Canyon and back. Gonna pack a little gear, jump on the CB, and take off. Will be posting pics.

Now to the present, I've been debating a ride all day, it is 51 degrees and sunny here right now, (DFW), I feel like such a wuss :blush: after reading this post.........you talked me into it.

See Y'all Later
 
Thread starter
Have fun David..stay safe out there.
 
Back
Top