Bikes never or rarely seen

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
reading others threads and posts it's apparent there are hot pockets for different type bikes.

Here in SW Ohio, there are bikes I never or rarely see that are supposedly hot sellers elsewhere

I have never seen a BMWR9T on the road. Or an Indian Scout. Or a Ducati Scrambler or a Honda Valkrie for that matter. Nor any KTM's.
The Yamaha FZ-09 is supposedly a big seller. Think I saw my first one on the road the other day. Never seen an FZ-07. The only Moto Guzzi I have seen was a Norge sport tourer.

There was a Tenere' in the dealer lot the other day but I have never seen anyone riding one. The only Triumph 800 scrambler I have seen belongs to a buddy. Never seen a Triumph touring bike. Same with the Kawasaki Versys, a buddy owns the only one I have seen. Never seen a 1000 Kaw Versys. Did see a Suzuki Hyabusa the other day, that suprised me.Never see Suzuki DL Vstroms 650 or 1000. Have seen an NC700 complete with match saddlebags and trunk.

I have seen a couple of Indian Chiefs. The occassional ST or FJR or RT Beemer. I've seen several CB1100's but none this summer that I recall. I have seen a couple of Bonnevilles beside's my brother and nephew. Never seen a Thruxton on the road. I see a few 600 type sport bikes out and about but usually can't identify them unless they are blue and then I know they are Yamahas or green then I know they are Ninjas. Honda and Suzuki sportbikes are rare here. As are Goldwings for some reason. Spot the occassional one, but not many.

Saw my first F6B the other day a fellow rode up on up at the credit union.

The only thing I see lots of every day and I can't identify them by model are Harley's ..... and Harley wannabe's. They are everywhere. I think most of the wannabe's are Yamahas, but the ocassional Honda or Kawasaki too I think. For the most part this is cruiser country it seems.

what's it like where you live?
 
That's stunning, but honestly it doesn't sound much different from when I spent a year in Omaha. Harley's everywhere, nary a BMW or Ducati or Triumph or KTM in sight. I had a Moto Guzzi there and must have been seen as a real oddball. Smattering of UJM's but it was definitely HD country. Considering the roads out there, it made sense. Aside from the occasional freeway off ramp, there were no curves to speak of.

Here, in Colorado, it's R1200GS, DL650, and KTM country. Seems everyone is an ADV wannabe. Lots of HD's too, and they're probably in the majority, but I also see lots of Ducati's, Triumphs, etc. When in Denver I'll usually see an RNineT and Duc Scrambler amidst the crowd of Honda Ruckuses, Aprilia Scarabeos and inexpensive Chinese scooters, and during the summer, the mountains are flooded with lolly-gagging HD's and Gold Wings with out-of-state plates. I've never seen a "new" Norton, Motus, or one of those Miami Beach-styled Huyabusas with an extended swing arm. Probably not so cool for the roads out here.
 
Same here with the Harley's and cruisers! Sport bikes and standards are well outnumbered and most are full out sport models like Suzuki GSX's, Honda CBR's and Yamaha FZ's. Unless I go to a vintage bike night sometime, many of the bikes Ferrett is asking about seem to disappear on rides?

My sons say that there are lots of "poser" riders out there that like to be seen at an event on a cool retro model but rarely ride them. Looking at them in the classifieds with super low mileage may add a level of truth to their opinion? :rolleyes:

I'll be interested in hearing from other parts of the country!
 
Harley's and Sport bikes here and nether like each other.
then there is me, The only CB750 or CB1100 owner i know of or ever see.

The Harley guys are 2 types.
one is the greasy looking old guys with dirty cloths that look like they will kill you for wearing a helmet , protective gear or riding a different brand bike and their whole life is wrapped around their HD motorcycle and their gang leathers with patches even in the hot summer.

then you have guys who own Harley's who are nice people , have jobs and some own other brands , there is hope for these people.

the other half are Sport Bike people who i relate to the most. many know me for when i had my Hayabusa's Etc and others just do not hate and wave at old school Japanese . I stay away from most only because speed is king and while i once was addicted am now on the wagon with blood thinner.

BTW - going on a ride with the American Legion Sat " Harley's" will post pics and wear earplugs. :thumbsup:
 
I see about 80% cruisers (mostly Harleys), 15% sport-type and naked Japanese bikes and 5% other. The "other" includes a few BMW sport tourers, GS's and one R9T that I see from time to time. The only Triumphs I've seen is a half-dozen or so at a gas station. I've never seen a CB on the road. Most of the Harley guys are approachable and seem like good guys. I do see a few older GLs but rarely see late model Goldwings on the road.

I've been to a couple of RTEs to meet with other ST riders and they all are great guys. At the last RTE in Bennington, VT, 3 of the riders came on BMWs (2 RTs and one GS). We were all sitting near the windows during lunch and I could see a lot of the passerby's stopping to look at the BMWs, lol. The vast majority of bikes in Bennington were Harleys though.
 
Interesting... I've never gauged the motorbike brand and type demographics of my area. Nevertheless, without much observation, my off the cuff report:

- Influence Factors
1. Jacksonville is 1.5 hours north of Daytona Beach, where the cult like gatherings of Bike Week and Biketober Fest happen every year.
2. Year-round riding weather (except during hurricanes).
3. Jacksonville has two naval bases. Lots of motorcycles in military bases.
4. Jax has the distinction of being the largest city by land area in the lower 48. Wait for it...

- The Cruiser Rules
The majority of bikes I encounter are cruisers. I think that in-town distances, because of número cuatro above, encourage the ownership of this type. I don't try to I.D. them unless I see something too peculiar, but Harley is KING. Many Goldwings (some with really cute little matching trailers), not many F6Bs, yet metric cruisers abound. Did I say HD is KING? The local HD dealer (Adamec) has 2 stores in town and one in the St Augustine. Too many cruisers with ultra tall ape hanger bars that look super uncomfortable.

- The Plastics
The sport bike is the second predominant genus. Again, I don't I.D. them because they don't spark my interest but among the sea of ninjas and gixers I have regular sightings of the following same 4 bikes (similar commute): a seasoned dude (like Ferret's age :D ) on a CBR1000RR, peculiar because of the mellow nature of his ride and his bike looks like he just rolled off the showroom floor; the lawyer in the suit on the red & black BMW 1000 sport bike, he rides wearing his lawyer-like dress loafers (I really don't know if he's a lawyer); then there is the guy in the red Ducati that when he gets it in 1st the bike sounds like the transmission is going to fall apart; finally the young man with his book bag on a white Triumph Daytona that is obvious has visited the earth surface on its left side at least once.

I've also noticed a subgroup of stretched-out Hayabusas with crazy paint jobs. Most of the sport bikes are in the 600 size, as far as I can tell.

- Not Much Adventure
ADVs are not common to see. I regularly see a Super Tenere who's driver rides like a maniac in morning traffic. Very few BMWs and Tigers, mainly on the interstate and on weekends. One friend with a Versys 1K and another with a WeeStrom but both uncommon.

- Nakeds & Retros
The FZ-09 sold well in Jax; I see them regulary. However, and although was dubbed best bang for the buck, the FZ07s are not as common. I have a friend still riding his 919 but not many left and occasionally I see Bandits and FZ-1s in good shape still fighting traffic. There are loads of SV650s around, all years and in all sorts of shapes, from perfect to miraculously running.

There is a small bunch of R9Ts and Duc Scramblers but very rare. Both I've seen riding in pairs; two R9Ts together and in separate occasion two Duc Scramblers. I guess they have their 2-men clubs.

The Bonnies are almost common but not the new ones. I haven't seen a T-120 and the only Street Twin I've seen belongs to my kid. The dealer has 3 Thruxtons in the showroom but I have never seen one in the wild. I haven't seen the lil 400 Yamaha and as far as I can tell I may have the only CB in town (probably not the case but I haven't seen the others).

- Students
Street legal enduros, supermotos and the 200 Yamaha with the fat rear tire are common around the south side school complex (UNF and FSCJ).

-The Beach
On the weekends scooters swarm on Jacksonville beaches. The bada$$ses are the Ruckus, there are a couple with brackets for their surfboards.

That's it. I'm out.
:biker:
 
Mostly cruisers in my little section of SE Georgia and about 80% Harleys with a mix of Asian cruisers. There are two fellows that regularly attend our local rides on top of the line Indian touring bikes.

Sport bikes were common at one time but I'm seeing fewer and fewer of them. Because their riders tend to wear shorts, sneakers and T-shirts it may be the Darwin effect responsible for their dwindling numbers.

There are a good number of Gold Wings including trike versions, one Sling Shot and several Spyders.

This morning we met a young man on a CBR500R. He said it is his first street bike and was quite pleased with it. Most surprisingly, he was wearing a full face helmet, gloves and an armored riding jacket. I thought Sparky and I were about the only locals who dressed so.
 
See predominately cruisers and by far they are Harley's, more and more women riding them. Occasional Victory or Indian oddball thrown in the mix. Second place seems to be Harley trikes then the sport bikes and adventure bikes with metal panniers. And I don't live near a Starbucks.

Do see a lot of Goldwings and BMW full dressers - older guys.

Sport bikes seem divided into two groups - very young crowd in t shirts and frequently shorts and a more mature crowd with some or full protective gear. Mostly Suzuki with a few Ducks mixed in, Yamaha showing well. Don't recall any BMW sport bikes but have been passed by some low flying jets that might have been the R9T but I couldn't be sure.

Rarely see a Triumph out on the road, I think they build a good bike.

The adventure crowd seems mostly the GS group with the Vstrom & WeeStroms showing well. Fair number of KTMs and a very few Yamaha's.

I'd say 70% of the other bikes I see are Harley's and wanna be's. I know I ride slow but I do so by choice.

Haven't run into a rude or belligerent rider in years. When I'm on the Ural the women flock to pet the dogs, some even speak to me too.
 
Thread starter
I didn't start this to bash other riders or their choices, just an observation of various models of motorcycles spotted in my area.
 
A lot of Triumphs & BMW's in the NH/Maine Seacoast area
 
The ferret_imp said:
I didn't start this to bash other riders or their choices, just an observation of various models of motorcycles spotted in my area.
sorry if i am the one who came off that way but Motorcycle gangs are very present here and have a bad reputation. much of what i always say will be an attempt at humor but that is just me , i enjoy life and laugh all day.
so if this Redneck rubs a Yank , Left coaster or anyone else the wrong way it is all in fun.
much respect for Asia and Australia.
one observation that may have slipped past everyone is that seldom do bikes grow old in the South! with year round riding weather we wear them out and seldom will you find someone meticulous about care like Ferret here unless they are a transplant. I am the most guilty of all as i never do much more than an oil change on a bikes and it will be a long time till the valves get checked or spark plugs changed.
to prove i am right about this , just check Ebay and see where most of the nice old bikes are located.
my neighbor is from Wisconsin and he says the Yanks up there store their bikes in basements for decades at a time.
Have a few Ducati's and triumphs etc but not many.
never see an old 60's or 70's bike here ever except an older lady who did have a 60's BMW. I would have romanced her if i was single just for a ride on that bike.
 
If some of what's been written so far is considered bashing the moderators might want to dial the decorum setting back just a notch or two. By ANY standard out there on the internet what's been said here, at least to this point is pretty benign.

During the summer I sit in front of my buddies coffee shop most Sundays from 9-10AM. A few of us on bikes show up there and shoot the breeze while sitting in plastic recliners facing the main road. This is a well traveled stretch for bikes because it heads to the mountains and gives access to some very nice rides.

I can't give numbers because I don't keep them. By far I see cruisers, the vast majority Harleys. I do pay attention to the sportsters because my daughter rides one and it's almost always younger people on them, say under 35. I saw two Sportsters today and both had younger guys on them. At my work a young female 34? rides an Iron 883, my daughter has an Iron 883. This seems to be the trend.

The next biggest segment I see here is ADV bikes. I'm interested in them as well so I pay attention to the riders and makes/sizes. I see a lot of BMW's in this category. Prob evenly split between the 1200 and the 800 motors, followed VERY closely by the bigger KTM's and then well back the KLR's.

Sport bikes of all sizes make up the next segment and my impression this year has been that the retro's are gaining on them somewhat quickly. I've seen LOT's of Triumph's this year, 1 Black CB, and an increasing number of older Japanese bikes being cafed.

The last group is a composite catch all of Victories/Indians/and the odd this and that like Guzzi's (I've seen three total on the road since 2014, one being a V7R in Texas a couple months back).
 
Thread starter
I wasnt admonishing anyone, just didn't want it to turn into a bashing thread, so it was more preventive than anything else.
 
Here in my part of Germany in Schleswig-Holstein I
have never seen another CB1100 live. Sometimes
I not often saw a W from Kawasaki. These are the
bikes I drive. They pull attraction from bikers and
non bikers wherever they go because they are both
rare and beautiful.

If I'm out for a ride these days, I hardly meet other
motorbikes, which seem mostly be driven during
warmer and dryer periods of the year.
One bike is omnipresent, the BMW GS.
A lot of different Japanese bikes of all kinds,
some more or less customed Harleys and
a few Italian and English ones.

A few people take care and ride their oldtimers,
which mostly create a time warp for the beholder into
the past, both the driver and the motorcycle.

All in all it's a colourful mixture.

Wisedrum
 
Have yet to see a CB1100 Deluxe, you owners must be a figment of our imagination :) We are lucky to have a diversified riding community so there's a chance to see something from all categories of motorcycles.

Just in our office we have 4 riders and between us we have (cb1100, ctx1300, dl650, fj09, fjr1300, versys 1000, versys 650, bonneville).
 
Thread starter
Wow hb, that quite a neat and diversified collection among you and your fellow employees. Do the others let you test ride theirs occassionally?
 
Out here in San Francisco Bay Area I literally see them ALL... every type old and new at a few local spots it's like a show Alice's in Woodside CA. I have seen more vintage Hondas and only 3 other new style CB's only one Deluxe . I always enjoy it. Motorcycle enthusiast!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Well 310 million persons in USA. Estimate 300 CB1100 Dlx models imported. So one in a million! Not going to see on the road often.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top