Bikes and Noise

Yeah, I always wondered about that even when I was a kid! :)
 
Thread starter
The problem is time and place. Large groups of HD riders revving their engines as they cruise along at 20mph on a narrow residential-business area road is simply unacceptable. I love the sound of a high performance engine as much as anyone. Some of my fondest memories recall days at Daytona, Road Atlanta, Sebring and Watkins Glen and the sounds of multi-cylinder engines at full song. I just don't think a quiet beach is the proper place.
The ferret_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I agree, there is a time and place for it.

I like my CB being quiet. "sewing machine" sound doesn't bother me at all.

And I like my ST1300 sound as it sounds like a turbine engine. Why is that anyway? Ferret what say you?

Gear droven cams I believe popgun. Sounds like the George Jetson mobile doesn't it? Lol


Gear droven cams I believe popgun. Sounds like the George Jetson mobile doesn't it? Lol

My ST1300 always reminded me of a 50hp Evinrude, LOL.
 
offroadfx4' pid='57397' dateline='1409469108 said:
I admit I'm prejudice for I-4 vs. V2 on sound. I love the sound of inline 4's. If I'm outside and hear one, I'll stop to see if they know how to change gears properly. If I hear a speed shift (using clutch but without backing off on throttle) I'm thoroughly impressed. If I'm at a stop light and one takes off I'll actually roll the window down to hear it louder and longer. The main thing that attracted me to the CB1100 was that 4 into 1 header.

Right now I've modified a stock muffler that has this awesome back-fire (I know it's not good, raw gas igniting in the muffler, but I don't care ;-) rumble that I find myself trying to create and enjoy almost more than accelerating.

It's not terribly loud, maybe can be heard 1/2 block away, but I'm reliving the days of my CB750 (baffles out), riding a Z1 900, my GPZ750 (baffles out).

Funny, I love this sound, but I do find the V twin sound irritating, don't know why....maybe I got used to the high pitch whine of 2 stroke moto-cross? Four stroke moto-cross bikes just don't sound as good to me.

From the other post, I know I'm in the minority here, so no offense but I'm just being honest.

If they would put in car cameras in F1 cars with sound and silence the announcers, they'd have a new fan. They do it in NASCAR but they rarely change gears unless it's a road course and that low RPM sound just isn't as impressive to me as the high revving engines (2014 F1 engines 15,000 RPM - down from 18,000 RPM last few years.

I am with you !!!
 
I'm with you, there is a time and a place for everything. I don't like the excessively loud exhaust sound on any bike except when I am at the race track. In public places not acceptable and far less so in a relaxing peaceful place. Now where is that 007 License I so badly desire?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
TINK_imp said:
Don't get me stated...:@

Loud pipes, whether on V-twins, crotch rockets or dirt bikes, DO NOT MAKE FRIENDS for the motorcycling community! PERIOD!

I'll shut up now. :shy:
Well mate, against my better judgement, you've got me started.

Loud strokers in a quite forest. Loud, inane, self-centered cell phone conversations in a public place. Foul mouthed rap music ( music???) full volume from boom box or car at a riverside picnic spot. Jet skis at full throttle doing circle work at my favourite fishing spot. Fast-fours, V eights and bikes blating past sidewalk cafés. Horn blasts at the lights if the car in front hasn't reacted to the green in under a nano-second. Loud foul mouthed abuse of others due road rage or shopping centre rage. Oh yes, there is more. Much more.

I don't single out the motorcycling community (is there such a thing?). All the above, and much, much, much, more DOESNT MAKE ME A FRIEND OF HUMANITY! PERIOD. In fact it makes me a grumpy old bastard.

Now for a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down. Then I'm sure I will feel better.

Cheers

Great racing at Silverstone. Bit noisy though ;).
And if of any of you dear readers are bored enough to have actually read my post, and have the slightest interest, unlikely as that may be, you will have to Google up "Bex".
 
tried..didn't turn out too well. What is your definition of Bex?

BTW I'm enjoying a cuppa tea as I type.
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
Don't get me stated...:@

Loud pipes, whether on V-twins, crotch rockets or dirt bikes, DO NOT MAKE FRIENDS for the motorcycling community! PERIOD!

I'll shut up now. :shy:
Well mate, against my better judgement, you've got me started.

Loud strokers in a quite forest. Loud, inane, self-centered cell phone conversations in a public place. Foul mouthed rap music ( music???) full volume from boom box or car at a riverside picnic spot. Jet skis at full throttle doing circle work at my favourite fishing spot. Fast-fours, V eights and bikes blating past sidewalk cafés. Horn blasts at the lights if the car in front hasn't reacted to the green in under a nano-second. Loud foul mouthed abuse of others due road rage or shopping centre rage. Oh yes, there is more. Much more.

I don't single out the motorcycling community (is there such a thing?). All the above, and much, much, much, more DOESNT MAKE ME A FRIEND OF HUMANITY! PERIOD. In fact it makes me a grumpy old bastard.

Now for a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down. Then I'm sure I will feel better.

Cheers

Great racing at Silverstone. Bit noisy though ;).
And if of any of you dear readers are bored enough to have actually read my post, and have the slightest interest, unlikely as that may be, you will have to Google up "Bex".
Yes.....with your bag full of carcinogenic material. :D
 
Randy B_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
Don't get me stated...:@

Loud pipes, whether on V-twins, crotch rockets or dirt bikes, DO NOT MAKE FRIENDS for the motorcycling community! PERIOD!

I'll shut up now. :shy:
Well mate, against my better judgement, you've got me started.

Loud strokers in a quite forest. Loud, inane, self-centered cell phone conversations in a public place. Foul mouthed rap music ( music???) full volume from boom box or car at a riverside picnic spot. Jet skis at full throttle doing circle work at my favourite fishing spot. Fast-fours, V eights and bikes blating past sidewalk cafés. Horn blasts at the lights if the car in front hasn't reacted to the green in under a nano-second. Loud foul mouthed abuse of others due road rage or shopping centre rage. Oh yes, there is more. Much more.

I don't single out the motorcycling community (is there such a thing?). All the above, and much, much, much, more DOESNT MAKE ME A FRIEND OF HUMANITY! PERIOD. In fact it makes me a grumpy old bastard.

Now for a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down. Then I'm sure I will feel better.

Cheers

Great racing at Silverstone. Bit noisy though ;).
And if of any of you dear readers are bored enough to have actually read my post, and have the slightest interest, unlikely as that may be, you will have to Google up "Bex".
Yes.....with your bag full of carcinogenic material. :D
Huh? Now it's your turn to elucidate.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
Don't get me stated...:@

Loud pipes, whether on V-twins, crotch rockets or dirt bikes, DO NOT MAKE FRIENDS for the motorcycling community! PERIOD!

I'll shut up now. :shy:
Well mate, against my better judgement, you've got me started.

Loud strokers in a quite forest. Loud, inane, self-centered cell phone conversations in a public place. Foul mouthed rap music ( music???) full volume from boom box or car at a riverside picnic spot. Jet skis at full throttle doing circle work at my favourite fishing spot. Fast-fours, V eights and bikes blating past sidewalk cafés. Horn blasts at the lights if the car in front hasn't reacted to the green in under a nano-second. Loud foul mouthed abuse of others due road rage or shopping centre rage. Oh yes, there is more. Much more.

I don't single out the motorcycling community (is there such a thing?). All the above, and much, much, much, more DOESNT MAKE ME A FRIEND OF HUMANITY! PERIOD. In fact it makes me a grumpy old bastard.

Now for a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down. Then I'm sure I will feel better.

Cheers

Great racing at Silverstone. Bit noisy though ;).
And if of any of you dear readers are bored enough to have actually read my post, and have the slightest interest, unlikely as that may be, you will have to Google up "Bex".
Yes.....with your bag full of carcinogenic material. :D
Huh? Now it's your turn to elucidate.

Cheers
Huh? Now it's your turn to elucidate.

Cheers
Quote:Bex powders were taken by dissolving them in water or a cup of tea, and some people took as many as three powders a day.

Bex contained:

Aspirin – Chemically known as acetylsalicylic acid, this drug acts on the body as an anti-inflammatory, helping to alleviate pain, fever, headache and other symptoms. The maximum recommended daily dose of aspirin is 1 g (1000 mg), as it can lead to stomach bleeding. A single bex powder (approximately 1 gram) contained 420 mg of aspirin.

Phenacetin – This chemical was widely used with aspirin and caffeine as a fever and pain reliever. It acts primarily on the nervous system, targeting the sensory tracts of the spinal cord, the brain and the heart. It was withdrawn from use in 1983 due to its damaging action on the kidneys and CARCINOGENIC properties. Each Bex powder contained 420 mg of phenacetin.

Caffeine – Found in coffee, tea and soft drinks, caffeine is a powerful nervous system stimulant. In combination with aspirin, it can give greater pain relief than aspirin alone. More than 250mg of caffeine a day can lead to unpleasant side effects like sleeplessness, irritability and heart palpitations. A single bex powder contained approximately 160mg.
 
Randy B_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
TINK_imp said:
Don't get me stated...:@

Loud pipes, whether on V-twins, crotch rockets or dirt bikes, DO NOT MAKE FRIENDS for the motorcycling community! PERIOD!

I'll shut up now. :shy:
Well mate, against my better judgement, you've got me started.

Loud strokers in a quite forest. Loud, inane, self-centered cell phone conversations in a public place. Foul mouthed rap music ( music???) full volume from boom box or car at a riverside picnic spot. Jet skis at full throttle doing circle work at my favourite fishing spot. Fast-fours, V eights and bikes blating past sidewalk cafés. Horn blasts at the lights if the car in front hasn't reacted to the green in under a nano-second. Loud foul mouthed abuse of others due road rage or shopping centre rage. Oh yes, there is more. Much more.

I don't single out the motorcycling community (is there such a thing?). All the above, and much, much, much, more DOESNT MAKE ME A FRIEND OF HUMANITY! PERIOD. In fact it makes me a grumpy old bastard.

Now for a cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down. Then I'm sure I will feel better.

Cheers

Great racing at Silverstone. Bit noisy though ;).
And if of any of you dear readers are bored enough to have actually read my post, and have the slightest interest, unlikely as that may be, you will have to Google up "Bex".
Yes.....with your bag full of carcinogenic material. :D
Huh? Now it's your turn to elucidate.

Cheers
Huh? Now it's your turn to elucidate.

Cheers
Quote:Bex powders were taken by dissolving them in water or a cup of tea, and some people took as many as three powders a day.

Bex contained:

Aspirin – Chemically known as acetylsalicylic acid, this drug acts on the body as an anti-inflammatory, helping to alleviate pain, fever, headache and other symptoms. The maximum recommended daily dose of aspirin is 1 g (1000 mg), as it can lead to stomach bleeding. A single bex powder (approximately 1 gram) contained 420 mg of aspirin.

Phenacetin – This chemical was widely used with aspirin and caffeine as a fever and pain reliever. It acts primarily on the nervous system, targeting the sensory tracts of the spinal cord, the brain and the heart. It was withdrawn from use in 1983 due to its damaging action on the kidneys and CARCINOGENIC properties. Each Bex powder contained 420 mg of phenacetin.

Caffeine – Found in coffee, tea and soft drinks, caffeine is a powerful nervous system stimulant. In combination with aspirin, it can give greater pain relief than aspirin alone. More than 250mg of caffeine a day can lead to unpleasant side effects like sleeplessness, irritability and heart palpitations. A single bex powder contained approximately 160mg.
Huh? Now it's your turn to elucidate.

Cheers
Quote:Bex powders were taken by dissolving them in water or a cup of tea, and some people took as many as three powders a day.

Bex contained:

Aspirin – Chemically known as acetylsalicylic acid, this drug acts on the body as an anti-inflammatory, helping to alleviate pain, fever, headache and other symptoms. The maximum recommended daily dose of aspirin is 1 g (1000 mg), as it can lead to stomach bleeding. A single bex powder (approximately 1 gram) contained 420 mg of aspirin.

Phenacetin – This chemical was widely used with aspirin and caffeine as a fever and pain reliever. It acts primarily on the nervous system, targeting the sensory tracts of the spinal cord, the brain and the heart. It was withdrawn from use in 1983 due to its damaging action on the kidneys and CARCINOGENIC properties. Each Bex powder contained 420 mg of phenacetin.

Caffeine – Found in coffee, tea and soft drinks, caffeine is a powerful nervous system stimulant. In combination with aspirin, it can give greater pain relief than aspirin alone. More than 250mg of caffeine a day can lead to unpleasant side effects like sleeplessness, irritability and heart palpitations. A single bex powder contained approximately 160mg.
OK, I get it. However we may have a case of cross cultural misunderstanding here. When a "Cup of tea, a Bex and a good lie down" is suggested it doesn't mean you actually do that. It means, I guess, "calm down", or in the modern vernacular, "chill". In the same way that in the USA the (somewhat dated) expression "Take a powder" doesn't mean a powder is actually taken. It means "to shoot through", you know, as in "to shoot through like a Bondi tram". :)

All clear?

Cheers
 
Ya had me until that last one. :huh:
 
I think I love "some" noise, it's part of the senses experienced riding a motorcycle.
Sight
Sound
Feeling
?
I love riding, also love listening to an inline 4 as I ride, all part of the experience, not too loud, but loud enough to 'feel' the entire experience.
 
Down here we'd say, 'Pterodactyl was off like a bucket of prawns in the sun!'
 
Had to laugh..reading the new Cycle World this morning, letters to tech advisor.

Guy on a Victory something thought stock pipes were too quiet so he put a set of straight shots on it, then thought it too loud. So he took one straight shot off, put one stock pipe back on and now he thinks it sounds just right. Wanted to know if it would harm the engine.

Tech guy says no, modern systems will compensate for 2 different pipes. Found that interesting. Both the problem, the solution and the answer.
 
Back
Top