Bikes and Noise

redbirds_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
We recently returned from a one week vacation on Manasota Key, FL. Stayed at a nice resort right on the gulf and had a great time save for one thing, the almost constant noise from the "Loud pipes save lives" jerks, profiling up and down the island on their "life style accessory" Harleys.

Is it any wonder that bikes are banned from some resort areas. This is not meant as a put down on the Motor Company. Their bikes come equipped with mufflers. However, seems that many HD riders equip their bikes with the loudest exhaust systems they can buy then parade around in herds for no other purpose than to draw attention to themselves and sounding all the while like a convoy of ragged out dump trucks.

I'm sure the real motorcyclists that ride HD are not among this rabble.
 
I'm not in support of LEOs targeting bikes, but people spend a lot of $$$ and many only get 1 chance to get away each year and deserve some peace and quiet if that's what they want on vacation. In this case I would love for the local Smokeys to hand out some revenue generators for the town.
 
I'd send a note to the local chamber of commerce down there stating that you won't be back and why. They get enough of those and ordinances will be passed. Even the AMA supports noise measurement and enforcement.
 
I like quiet. The CB1100 is the quietest bike I've owned and that suits me fine. I particularly like the fact that when I have occasion to pour on some power while riding in town, it does not attract the attention of every law enforcement officer within a 1/2 mile radius :P

Our V-twin brothers are not the only culprits. Around here, race pipe equipped crotch rockets can be just as bad. The other day I was at a light behind an open piped Kaw 600. When the light turned green we took off at a brisk, but not unreasonably fast rate. I couldn't believe how much noise that thing was making while accelerating just slightly faster than the surrounding cages. It was bad enough that I backed off about a half block just to spare my ears.

I actually dislike loud crotch rockets more than the V-twins since they tend to produce a higher frequency, ear splitting sound.
 
I think there should be a decibel limit for pipes, obviously some are too loud.
maybe use the Staintune on the CB1100 as a reference point, anything much louder should be illegal, just like cars.
 
It is, but RARELY enforced.
 
Noise limits are enforced in all Australian States. Here is a short extract from the NSW regulations:

Quote:Prescribed noise levels for exhaust noise
Exhaust noise from vehicles should not exceed the prescribed noise levels referred to in clause 4 of the Regulation. The levels depend on whether the vehicle is certified to Australian Design Rule (ADR) 83/00 (which came into force progressively from 2005), or to earlier ADRs.

For vehicles certified prior to ADR 83/00, Schedule 1 of the Regulation specifies the prescribed noise levels. For cars built before January 1983, the maximum noise level is 96 decibels and for newer cars the level is 90 decibels. For motorcycles built on or after 1 March 1984, and designed or manufactured for use on a road, the level is 94 decibels. The noise level for other motorcycles is 100 decibels.
The Staintune is accompanied by an official test label that states it tests at 90 decibels. Having said all that there are many bikes on the road that, subjectively, must surely exceed limits. The Police will at times enforce, particularly when they stop groups of bikers for random breath testing and road worthiness inspection. This is a favourite game for Victorian Police when groups travel to events at Phillip Island.

Cheers
 
Its just accepted in my area and I used to own one of the loudest you have ever heard. If your not cutting up or doing something stupid the law will leave you alone. Crotch rockets here are just as bad so its not just the V twin guys. Its just part of the culture. I like a nice tone as much as the next guy but its just not that important for me to spend money on anymore and have taken the silent route in my old age.
 
I'm with Flynrider. One reason I got rid of my Shadow and replaced it with the CB was the noise the damned thing made.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I like quiet. The CB1100 is the quietest bike I've owned and that suits me fine. I particularly like the fact that when I have occasion to pour on some power while riding in town, it does not attract the attention of every law enforcement officer within a 1/2 mile radius :P

Our V-twin brothers are not the only culprits. Around here, race pipe equipped crotch rockets can be just as bad. The other day I was at a light behind an open piped Kaw 600. When the light turned green we took off at a brisk, but not unreasonably fast rate. I couldn't believe how much noise that thing was making while accelerating just slightly faster than the surrounding cages. It was bad enough that I backed off about a half block just to spare my ears.

I actually dislike loud crotch rockets more than the V-twins since they tend to produce a higher frequency, ear splitting sound.
+1 you said it better than I did.
 
I admit I'm prejudice for I-4 vs. V2 on sound. I love the sound of inline 4's. If I'm outside and hear one, I'll stop to see if they know how to change gears properly. If I hear a speed shift (using clutch but without backing off on throttle) I'm thoroughly impressed. If I'm at a stop light and one takes off I'll actually roll the window down to hear it louder and longer. The main thing that attracted me to the CB1100 was that 4 into 1 header.

Right now I've modified a stock muffler that has this awesome back-fire (I know it's not good, raw gas igniting in the muffler, but I don't care ;-) rumble that I find myself trying to create and enjoy almost more than accelerating.

It's not terribly loud, maybe can be heard 1/2 block away, but I'm reliving the days of my CB750 (baffles out), riding a Z1 900, my GPZ750 (baffles out).

Funny, I love this sound, but I do find the V twin sound irritating, don't know why....maybe I got used to the high pitch whine of 2 stroke moto-cross? Four stroke moto-cross bikes just don't sound as good to me.

From the other post, I know I'm in the minority here, so no offense but I'm just being honest.

If they would put in car cameras in F1 cars with sound and silence the announcers, they'd have a new fan. They do it in NASCAR but they rarely change gears unless it's a road course and that low RPM sound just isn't as impressive to me as the high revving engines (2014 F1 engines 15,000 RPM - down from 18,000 RPM last few years!)
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
I admit I'm prejudice for I-4 vs. V2 on sound. I love the sound of inline 4's. If I'm outside and hear one, I'll stop to see if they know how to change gears properly. If I hear a speed shift (using clutch but without backing off on throttle) I'm thoroughly impressed. If I'm at a stop light and one takes off I'll actually roll the window down to hear it louder and longer. The main thing that attracted me to the CB1100 was that 4 into 1 header.

Right now I've modified a stock muffler that has this awesome back-fire (I know it's not good, raw gas igniting in the muffler, but I don't care ;-) rumble that I find myself trying to create and enjoy almost more than accelerating.

It's not terribly loud, maybe can be heard 1/2 block away, but I'm reliving the days of my CB750 (baffles out), riding a Z1 900, my GPZ750 (baffles out).

Funny, I love this sound, but I do find the V twin sound irritating, don't know why....maybe I got used to the high pitch whine of 2 stroke moto-cross? Four stroke moto-cross bikes just don't sound as good to me.

From the other post, I know I'm in the minority here, so no offense but I'm just being honest.

If they would put in car cameras in F1 cars with sound and silence the announcers, they'd have a new fan. They do it in NASCAR but they rarely change gears unless it's a road course and that low RPM sound just isn't as impressive to me as the high revving engines (2014 F1 engines 15,000 RPM - down from 18,000 RPM last few years!)
I'd be surprised if you have given offence. I think redbirds was more concerned about an inappropriate level of noise for that place. I like my Staintune but I don't intend to share it with my neighbour at 3am. Apart from that he owns a Yammie Thunderace and might respond in kind. I would say that most on this forum don't mind a little rev music in the right place at the right time.

Cheers
 
I agree, there is a time and place for it.

I like my CB being quiet. "sewing machine" sound doesn't bother me at all.

And I like my ST1300 sound as it sounds like a turbine engine. Why is that anyway? Ferret what say you?
 
I love the sound of most engines. Over the years I have attended a lot of various race events, and one of the most amazing experiences was standing by the start-line at F1 races in the 90's when you still had V8s, V10s and V12s screaming as they went by. It would send chills down my spine! Motorcycle racing was amazing too, and I loved the screams of the 2 stroke 500s. Then when they switched to 4 stroke, my favourite was the Kawasaki engine. I always found the Honda MotoGP bikes to be just loud though.

And here is the problem. Many of the loud bikes around, regardless of them being twins or 4s, is that they are just loud. They do not have a harmonious sound, and actually are painful to the ear. Switzerland has a similar regulation to Australia, 94 decibels being the limit for bikes measured at 4k rpm, but obviously not everyone respects this. For some reason though the police really only target sports bikes when cracking down on excessive noise, and for the most part the cruisers are left alone with their obnoxious pipes. Not sure why...
 
Don't get me stated...:@

Loud pipes, whether on V-twins, crotch rockets or dirt bikes, DO NOT MAKE FRIENDS for the motorcycling community! PERIOD!

I'll shut up now. :shy:
 
My last two bikes were Kawi Vulcans with stock exhaust -- not real quiet or overly loud bikes, I'd say just average sound.

I remember the first time I fired up the CB at the dealer to ride it home, it barely made a sound. At first I was a little disappointed but now I'm totally content with it. I'm only at 2000 miles and 12 months ownership and love this bike more every time I ride it....
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I agree, there is a time and place for it.

I like my CB being quiet. "sewing machine" sound doesn't bother me at all.

And I like my ST1300 sound as it sounds like a turbine engine. Why is that anyway? Ferret what say you?

Gear droven cams I believe popgun. Sounds like the George Jetson mobile doesn't it? Lol

 
Ferret,

Thats just what it sounds like :) I wish it had a button I could push and make it fold up into a briefcase!
 
Back
Top