Biker Greetings

Tortuga_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Ok, when I was a lad starting out on bikes (legally) for the first time at 16 and during the 80's it was common practice to greet fellow bikers.

This could take several forms. A flash of the headlight. (Which I always have on) a wave ( a la European peeps ) or the most common to this day, nod of the head.

It's not an up/down nod as in Yessss, it's a sideways "alright mate?" nod.


Anyway. When I was 16 on my 50cc I was universally ignored by all the guys on bigger bikes.

Throughout my twenties I was on serious sports tackle (GSXR-750s and 600SS) and used to be nodded to by all but the Harley accountants.

I've noticed now that riding the CB I get nods from all the sports bike guys, but am invisible to the Bonneville set, and the riders of small bore machines.

The world is a worse place because people don't give a hoot about anyone but themselves.

So, what is the standard greeting in YOUR country and how do different groups dish it out?
 
The lowered, two fingers down 'peace sign' is the norm over here. Most every rider does it, and I haven't seen as much 'us versus them/ cruisers vs sport bikes ignoring each other as there used to. Bonnevilles get waved to by everyone here! I greatly prefer the nod, and have been moving towards that.
 
It doesn't seem to matter what bike I'm on...or what bike I'm passing. I generally just 'wave' with my left hand and most others do the same. It's not a 'wave' like you might think, but more of a left hand out, pointing kinda/sorta down. More like an acknowledgment that we're in this together... If my left hand is busy...I'll nod. I'd say this happens both ways more than 75% of the time. The Corvette people do the same thing... however the Mustang people don't. Interesting....
 
When I had my Shadow, every cruiser out there would give me the wave. Not so much from sport bikers. When I ride the CB350, I get waves and turned heads, with lots of pointing from everyone, even cars. On the CB1100, its a mixed bag. I get it a lot still, but less from the cruisers and MORE from the sport bikers. However, as for myself,if you are out there having fun on 2 wheels, or even <shudder> 3 wheels... I will wave at you. Even scooters. They need all the encouragement they can get. My rule, when passing by a large group, wave at the first, wave at the last.
 
I'll avoid the wave if I don't see you in time, preoccupied with a car that may do something stupid or in traffic in town. But I try to wave most of the time with a nod tossed in just to prove I'm flexible. :)

If feeling spunky and I know the folks I'll stand on the pegs, beat my chest with my left and swing it out in a Roman Salute. I heard of a particularly quirky old time bike rider that would do that to all bikers (there were fewer then) and it is so over the top that I gotta do it from time to time. :excited:
 
I either wave or nod at anyone on two wheels, scooters, cruisers, sport bikes, etc. Around here pretty much everyone waves or nods back. The few that do not wave are usually V Twin cruiser types, don't know why.

I'm with Capo on the nod, I prefer that and have been nodding more and more lately. I even nod at people in automobiles that don't cut me off at the roundabouts, 4-way stops, intersections, etc. I got the idea from a previous thread. Some of them nod back, it's fun.
 
Widespread when I was a youngster, not so much now but usually on the open roads a nod or a wave depending on location and bike position; Cruisers sometimes, Harleys seem to have their own rules. Land Rover owners tend to follow the same rules depending on model.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I'll avoid the wave if I don't see you in time, preoccupied with a car that may do something stupid or in traffic in town. But I try to wave most of the time with a nod tossed in just to prove I'm flexible. :)

If feeling spunky and I know the folks I'll stand on the pegs, beat my chest with my left and swing it out in a Roman Salute. I heard of a particularly quirky old time bike rider that would do that to all bikers (there were fewer then) and it is so over the top that I gotta do it from time to time. :excited:
I think this, is the FUTURE! :D
davidsargee_imp said:
I either wave or nod at anyone on two wheels, scooters, cruisers, sport bikes, etc. Around here pretty much everyone waves or nods back. The few that do not wave are usually V Twin cruiser types, don't know why.

I'm with Capo on the nod, I prefer that and have been nodding more and more lately. I even nod at people in automobiles that don't cut me off at the roundabouts, 4-way stops, intersections, etc. I got the idea from a previous thread. Some of them nod back, it's fun.
Same here, and people on Bonnevilles for some reason. When I picked my bike up I was super excited when at the first set of lights a man on a beat up 2005 Bonneville with a grey beard, open face helmet and Belstaff waxed cotton jacket pulled up beside me. I was bracing myself for wide eyes, interested questioning on how she rode, and a bit of 'ahh, it's a lovely bike'.

I turned to my right, grinning, and the beardie weirdie Bonneville dude just sat there, staring straight ahead and ignoring me. I even let out a whimper of an "alright?" .. Nothing.

When the lights changed he roared off with me in hot pursuit until I realised I was on new tyres with the pink and yellow stripes intact.
Tyke57nz_imp said:
Widespread when I was a youngster, not so much now but usually on the open roads a nod or a wave depending on location and bike position; Cruisers sometimes, Harleys seem to have their own rules. Land Rover owners tend to follow the same rules depending on model.
Similar thing here with old VWs, Beetles and Campers. I used to have one when I was 17/18. Loved the flashing each other and the 'hang loose' surfer hand signs.

The sad part was when I graduated to a Fiat (I know :blush:) I was still doing it to the bemusement of the 'dubbers' :(
 
I forgot to mention that around here our motorcycle police officers wave and nod as well. The first time this happened, I was not sure if I should wave to the officer or not, (I have always had a strong policy against attracting attention from the law, regardless of the innocence of whatever I'm doing :D).

The officer waved at me, (upside down peace sign), before I made my decision, since then I wave or nod at them any time I see them.
 
Thread starter
davidsargee_imp said:
I forgot to mention that around here our motorcycle police officers wave and nod as well. The first time this happened, I was not sure if I should wave to the officer or not, (I have always had a strong policy against attracting attention from the law, regardless of the innocence of whatever I'm doing :D).

The officer waved at me, (upside down peace sign), before I made my decision, since then I wave or nod at them any time I see them.

I find bike cops to be pretty cool and reasonable in England.

Most will nod or wave, unless they're 'on a mission' and one stopped me for speeding years ago when I had a mate on the back and was tanking it past a Jaguar that cut me up (mainly to get away from the idiot). He just calmly said that I had a nice bike, and to use it to it's maximum effect on 'National Speed Limit' roads and not in 30, 40, or 50 mph limits.

He was civil, lenient and I left there with a lesson that controls my throttle better than a fine or points on my license.

"Spare the rod" works, in my opinion.
 
I've waved at the motor cops here, they wave back. They are out in the weather, winter or summer, true riders.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I've waved at the motor cops here, they wave back. They are out in the weather, winter or summer, true riders.
Likewise here, and likewise when I was an instructor.

I feel a little ashamed how I've become a fair weather 'leisure rider'.:blush:
 
The "wave" is still the most popular greeting around here. Harley riders generally ignore any make other than a Harley, but I've noticed over the past couple of years that has changed a lot and many are the first to wave regardless of what you're riding.
I always wave. If any rider doesn't wave back I could care less.
I've waved at motor cops too, but they generally ignore me :D I guess they don't want to be seen as too friendly with those evil bikers :D
As has been said, If I'm in a traffic situation or into a sharp corner waving is the last thing I'm thinking about.
 
After reading this post I made an effort to wave at anything on two wheels, including scooters, and these were the results.

Harleys; 0 for 2
Sport bikes; 1 for 1
Scooters; 4 for 5
 
Back
Top