Bike stalls shifting into 1st

gwallis_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Sorry... I have not been around lately. Too busy to ride as well.

That brings me to my problem. My 2013 CB1100 has been sitting for most of the summer and now when I shift into 1st gear the bike dies... with a big 'Klunck'!

It starts and idles just perfect... step on the shifter and sort of jumps and dies.

Anyone have any idea what might be causing this? Just sitting too long should not present this problem.

'Thanks' in advance!
 
Check to make sure your side stand is up before you put it into gear or it will do that.
 
Is the clutch releasing properly? Have you checked to fluid level in the clutch master cylinder? What happens if you put it in first, pull the clutch in and try to start it? Clutch plates may be stuck together from sitting. Try putting in gear, pull the clutch in and try to push it with the engine off. Just tossing out ideas.
 
I'm with Ferret, make sure the side stand is up. Another one of our new members just had this problem. He put up the sidestand and is now happy!
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Check to make sure your side stand is up before you put it into gear or it will do that.
Daaaahhh!!!

That must be it... I was moving the bike at the time and I may have left the stand in the down position.

"Thanks' everyone for the fast answer!
 
I can honestly say I have never left my sidestand down. :angel:
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I can honestly say I have never left my sidestand down. :angel:
I could say it, but it wouldn't be true :s
It's happened so many times within my little group of old guys that our battle cry is KICKSTANDS UP!
 
That CB side stand bites me every so often as my BMW does not have it but it raises the side stand when you pull on the clutch lever


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Elipten_imp said:
That CB side stand bites me every so often as my BMW does not have it but it raises the side stand when you pull on the clutch lever


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Really? Wow!
 
Arctic cb1100_imp said:
we just had the same conclusion with another member a couple days ago I'm shocked how common this mistake is!
I am too because it shows that people seem to be getting this bike as a first bike. It has as much power and performance as those six-cylinder bikes in another thread yet today some say it's just fine as a first bike.

I have to say if someone doesn't know about clutch and sidestand safety switches there are likely some other things they don't know and should before riding a CB1100.
 
Elipten_imp said:
That CB side stand bites me every so often as my BMW does not have it but it raises the side stand when you pull on the clutch lever


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep, the K75's and K100's had that feature. I'm not sure about the K1100's but my K1200RS doesn't. Neither didn't any of my many R-bikes.
 
Ulvetanna_imp said:
Arctic cb1100_imp said:
we just had the same conclusion with another member a couple days ago I'm shocked how common this mistake is!
I am too because it shows that people seem to be getting this bike as a first bike. It has as much power and performance as those six-cylinder bikes in another thread yet today some say it's just fine as a first bike.

I have to say if someone doesn't know about clutch and sidestand safety switches there are likely some other things they don't know and should before riding a CB1100.


While I would not recommend it to a young person as a first bike, silly as it sounds, as an older person (say 35+) as a first bike, but they have been driving stick cars their entire lives? Yea ok...

Why? Power delivery.

The power and performance on this bike is extremely lineal and tame. The only detriment to a newb would be the weight in slow maneuvers and this is easy to explain ahead of time and hopefully mitigate- and if not, just a lesson learned, not lethal. Anything anyone could do to kill themselves on this bike can happen on ANY bike, so can't fix stupid.. :)
 
Kicking the side stand up is so automatic for me that I sometimes don't get it up far enough and it redeploys. Pull the clutch and pop it in first and tada! Nothing! I usually look around and make sure no one was watching. Embarrassing!

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
 
It's not gwallis's first bike. Sometimes, if one's routine gets disrupted, things get overlooked. My guess is that there are many of us who have forgot to strap on their helmet, forgot to turn off a turn indicator, forgot that they used the kill switch the last time they turned their bike off, and maybe even forgot that the side stand was down. I know a guy who did all of those things on a single bike trip. Granted, it was a trip to Alaska. The point is that this is not a newbie mistake...it's just a plain old mistake.
 
I do it all the time. Certainly know better. Bike may be idling warming up, Im sitting on it , sticking something in my tank bag, , making sure my helmet is strapped ( ridden off with it unstrapped as well) pulling down and latching my modular facepiece and adjusting the shield for air gap, pulling on my gloves, all of a sudden I am ready, reach up pull in the clutch, snick it in first and bam. Forgot the sidestand was down.
 
^^ Yep, been there, done that :)
 
The ferret_imp said:
I do it all the time. Certainly know better. Bike may be idling warming up, Im sitting on it , sticking something in my tank bag, , making sure my helmet is strapped ( ridden off with it unstrapped as well) pulling down and latching my modular facepiece and adjusting the shield for air gap, pulling on my gloves, all of a sudden I am ready, reach up pull in the clutch, snick it in first and bam. Forgot the sidestand was down.
Right, but you figured it out instantly. To have to resort to a forum full of elderly know-it-alls to get an answer, now that is another thing.:D

I have ritual I've adopted to where I almost never make the mistake, and it's for a good reason. Usually it's like The Ferret said, you do it, "whoops" and pop the thing up and be on your way.

I know one guy who wrecked his bike back when Honda had the stupid rubber sidestand retractor, it was a real nice VF1000F Interceptor. Come to think of it, might have been his VF1000R, the lovely tri-colored limited V4, 600 pounds, The Ferret knows it.

So I try to be real careful, sidestand switches can fail. BMW had a recall for my GS on this.

Also, and worse, I roll my bike backward out of my driveway onto a slope street. The street drops away just past the garage door, I mean six inches past, and if the sidestand is down, it will catch on the hump after the rear wheel exits the garage, and put the bike down, or close to it.

So I take no chances with the sidestand. I move real slow and double check everything.

Even so, sometimes I don't catch it until the recheck. No one is going to remember every single time.
 
I have made the mistake of riding of with the side stand down on my old CB750. That is one big surprise when you take the first left turn 3 miles from home. Luckily, I stayed upright as it was a sharp 90 and I was going slow.
 
Back
Top