Bike show /CB

Cormanus_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
I noticed something about the new DLX I don't like as much as the 2013: The accent stripe on the tank. It's OK but I don't like it as much. Just yesterday, I was asking my friend what he thought about what it would look like if I didn't put the stripe back on after painting the tank black (before seeing it, I thought it would be like the old accent stripe). It would be less hassle and save $. Now I think I'll just leave it off. I'm thinking it would look OK. Or, I could have the 2013 stripe put back on.

Do you guys think it would look good without a stripe? Keep in mind it will be attached to a black sidecar.
Buffalohead, the Australian models didn't have the stripe at all. Here's a photo of my black CB100,



I'm too lazy to go outside, uncover the bike and take more photos, so here are some images of a black Australian CB1100. The ad says it is a 2012 model, but I suspect it is more likely to be the 2011 model. I'm posting the photos rather than a link because the ad could disappear if the bike sells.













All this should give you some idea of what the standard tank looks like without the stripe.

This bike is from close to where I live, but I haven't seen him on the road.



What's going on with the chrome on the headers? Does it normally look that dark after some time has passed?
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
Hey Damfino,
You must have been doing a lot of lurking, but let me welcome you to the asylum!
Ride Safe(ly)

Thanks Buffalohead, yeah, I hang out here every once in a while. I'm also a member of the SOHC4 forum as I own a '76 CB750K. Don't have an 1100 as of yet but hope to rectify that by this spring or summer. The red deluxe will look nice parked next to my candy Antares red '76!
 
Damfino_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
Hey Damfino,
You must have been doing a lot of lurking, but let me welcome you to the asylum!
Ride Safe(ly)

Thanks Buffalohead, yeah, I hang out here every once in a while. I'm also a member of the SOHC4 forum as I own a '76 CB750K. Don't have an 1100 as of yet but hope to rectify that by this spring or summer. The red deluxe will look nice parked next to my candy Antares red '76!
A '76 CB750K is a cool bike. I'm going for the 1100 DLX as well. But, I'm going to have mine painted black. I waited to see if there would be a black one in '14 only to find the Standard is too black for me. I do love the DLX.

When I welcomed you to the forum it was because I saw you were on your 3rd post so I thought you were a new member. After welcoming you to the forum, I felt silly when I noticed you have been here since September. The CB1100 will be nice but don't EVER sell the 750!
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
Damfino_imp said:
Buffalohead_imp said:
Hey Damfino,
You must have been doing a lot of lurking, but let me welcome you to the asylum!
Ride Safe(ly)

Thanks Buffalohead, yeah, I hang out here every once in a while. I'm also a member of the SOHC4 forum as I own a '76 CB750K. Don't have an 1100 as of yet but hope to rectify that by this spring or summer. The red deluxe will look nice parked next to my candy Antares red '76!
A '76 CB750K is a cool bike. I'm going for the 1100 DLX as well. But, I'm going to have mine painted black. I waited to see if there would be a black one in '14 only to find the Standard is too black for me. I do love the DLX.

When I welcomed you to the forum it was because I saw you were on your 3rd post so I thought you were a new member. After welcoming you to the forum, I felt silly when I noticed you have been here since September. The CB1100 will be nice but don't EVER sell the 750!
A '76 CB750K is a cool bike. I'm going for the 1100 DLX as well. But, I'm going to have mine painted black. I waited to see if there would be a black one in '14 only to find the Standard is too black for me. I do love the DLX.

When I welcomed you to the forum it was because I saw you were on your 3rd post so I thought you were a new member. After welcoming you to the forum, I felt silly when I noticed you have been here since September. The CB1100 will be nice but don't EVER sell the 750!
Yeah, I agree that the standard is too black. Thanks for the welcome, and no, I have no plans to sell the 750! I waited too long to own one...:D
 
DAC_imp said:
Yep. That black CB is a heart breaker with the silver engine and wheels.
Agreed... and when I look at the tank it makes me wonder why they stayed with the silver accent stipe on black US model. I suppose a lot of people dig it, but the black tank sure looks best w/o it IMO.
 
road dog_imp said:
DAC_imp said:
Yep. That black CB is a heart breaker with the silver engine and wheels.
Agreed... and when I look at the tank it makes me wonder why they stayed with the silver accent stipe on black US model. I suppose a lot of people dig it, but the black tank sure looks best w/o it IMO.
Right on Road Dog!
 
That all black tank with no stripe is very nice. The US all black bike is too black for me to be honest. Blue with spokes and I'd be buying a second bike, forget the trade. Maybe then I could put a sidecar on it for my son as that is what he wants badly.
 
Didn't want to go there at first, but at the mention of a blue bike, it got me thinking about it again so here goes. Now don't get me wrong, I actually kinda like the new deeper shade of red on the deluxe model, and I'm really glad we'll have the choice of different models. But, (and here comes my rant) I'm just a little disappointed by the fact we'll still have no real choice of color... from the factory that is. I mean, with all the different tank colors and various combinations of silver and black parts used across the different regions, would it really be that difficult to offer a couple of different colors? Don't most of Honda's other street bike come in two colors? I know some are limited to just your basic black or spiffy Honda red, but it still qualifies as a choice (rant over).

Personally I would have loved a silver or white bike. And with all the pre-release hype and studio shots of white CB11s everywhere, I kept getting my hopes up to ultimately get one. First in 2013. Then again this year with even juicier glamour shots of the white European EX model... veeery classy looking! But of all the varied (and seemingly somewhat random) paint, wheel, and engine block configurations that I've seen to date, I keep going back to stare at this one; silver tank, grey side covers and accent stripe, with half blacked out wheels and a half blacked out engine. Not sure what market this bike was for, but Lord have mercy! Is that a thing of beauty, or is it just me?

81a5fa5199b912dc1bc6051cade39362.jpg
 
Damfino..to answer your question the header on the standard model is satinless steel which discolors with heat. Cormanus's is the darkest I have ever seen, most are a brownish tint, but they are not chrome. The headers on the 14 DLX model are double walled chrome and should never discolor.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Damfino..to answer your question the header on the standard model is satinless steel which discolors with heat. Cormanus's is the darkest I have ever seen, most are a brownish tint, but they are not chrome. The headers on the 14 DLX model are double walled chrome and should never discolor.
Thanks ferret. Didn't know they used the stainless steel!
 
How many miles did it take to get those pipes that color, curious....have they been cleaned at all......coming from somebody who only has about 20 miles on his own bike so far.....come on spring, please....
 
Headbanger02_imp said:
How many miles did it take to get those pipes that color, curious....have they been cleaned at all......coming from somebody who only has about 20 miles on his own bike so far.....come on spring, please....
A little paste polish (I use the Honda stuff) with some fine (.0000) steel wool will keep them looking like new, well, at least shiny gold colored. I suspect the seller of the black 1100 probably never polished them. Riding in rain seems to discolor them a lot faster too. Keeping them looking new requires you to be a little OCD. I can respect those who decide not to clean them, however.
 
Oh I'm definitely OCD....I should change my handle to Headbanger02CD.....I do like the gold look however, If spring will hurry up and get here I will be able to find out for myself.....Thanks
 
Elipten_imp said:
That all black tank with no stripe is very nice. The US all black bike is too black for me to be honest. Blue with spokes and I'd be buying a second bike, forget the trade. Maybe then I could put a sidecar on it for my son as that is what he wants badly.
I am going to have a DLX painted black, with no tank stripe. The sidecar I have that is going to be married to it is the Cozy Rocket. It's design is based on the old German Steib design. Mine looks much better because it is modified with better chrome strips instead of the grey aluminum ones. I also have nicer chrome lights which look better. BTW, I was surprised to find how sturdy and well made it is even though it's not overly heavy. And, considering the quality, the price is a bargain. Some high-priced S/C manufacturers talk down the Rocket as being low quality (because of the competitive value and good looks). NOT TRUE! The price is reasonable because where it's made and because it doesn't offer a lot of frills. I absolutely love my Rocket and will never sell it. It's going to look fantastic married to a black CB1100 DLX.
If you would like to check out the Cozy Rocket, got to
Cycle Sidecar - Affordable Motorcycle Sidecars | Cycle Sidecar
 
Headbanger02_imp said:
How many miles did it take to get those pipes that color, curious....have they been cleaned at all......coming from somebody who only has about 20 miles on his own bike so far.....come on spring, please....
To attempt an answer to your question... the discoloration is just a normal characteristic of single wall exhaust pipes on an air-cooled, internal combustion engine. It really only means exhaust temps have reached "Holy $#%* that's hot!" at least a time or two. Guys that like to go to the garage and start their bike every morning then go back inside to get geared up and whatnot, usually end up a good bit of discoloration. I've also noticed that dealer demo bikes can tend to have a lot. Just let your motor sit idle for 20 or 30 mins on a hot summer day if you'd like to get a good jump on the whole process... but please don't.
 
road dog_imp said:
Headbanger02_imp said:
How many miles did it take to get those pipes that color, curious....have they been cleaned at all......coming from somebody who only has about 20 miles on his own bike so far.....come on spring, please....
To attempt an answer to your question... the discoloration is just a normal characteristic of single wall exhaust pipes on an air-cooled, internal combustion engine. It really only means exhaust temps have reached "Holy $#%* that's hot!" at least a time or two. Guys that like to go to the garage and start their bike every morning then go back inside to get geared up and whatnot, usually end up a good bit of discoloration. I've also noticed that dealer demo bikes can tend to have a lot. Just let your motor sit idle for 20 or 30 mins on a hot summer day if you'd like to get a good jump on the whole process... but please don't.
I rode BMW's for eons. Except for a few (bad) late model bikes, they were all from the 60's and 70's. I NEVER let it sit still and run for long. BMW's run cooler than most air-cooled bikes and the pipes always turned blue. We never worried about it.
 
Triumphs latest twins are like that too only they are single wall chromed to start. Instead of turning brown they turn blue and gold. My Bonneville blued/gold all the way back to the muffler joint.
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
Elipten_imp said:
That all black tank with no stripe is very nice. The US all black bike is too black for me to be honest. Blue with spokes and I'd be buying a second bike, forget the trade. Maybe then I could put a sidecar on it for my son as that is what he wants badly.
I am going to have a DLX painted black, with no tank stripe. The sidecar I have that is going to be married to it is the Cozy Rocket. It's design is based on the old German Steib design. Mine looks much better because it is modified with better chrome strips instead of the grey aluminum ones. I also have nicer chrome lights which look better. BTW, I was surprised to find how sturdy and well made it is even though it's not overly heavy. And, considering the quality, the price is a bargain. Some high-priced S/C manufacturers talk down the Rocket as being low quality (because of the competitive value and good looks). NOT TRUE! The price is reasonable because where it's made and because it doesn't offer a lot of frills. I absolutely love my Rocket and will never sell it. It's going to look fantastic married to a black CB1100 DLX.
If you would like to check out the Cozy Rocket, got to
Cycle Sidecar - Affordable Motorcycle Sidecars | Cycle Sidecar
You can also search for images of "Cozy sidecar" or "Motorcycle with Cozy sidecar"... that's what I did. :thumbsup:

784ad71ce5b224107a5d8d373f2884f4.jpg


Buffalohead_imp said:
road dog_imp said:
Headbanger02_imp said:
How many miles did it take to get those pipes that color, curious....have they been cleaned at all......coming from somebody who only has about 20 miles on his own bike so far.....come on spring, please....
To attempt an answer to your question... the discoloration is just a normal characteristic of single wall exhaust pipes on an air-cooled, internal combustion engine. It really only means exhaust temps have reached "Holy $#%* that's hot!" at least a time or two. Guys that like to go to the garage and start their bike every morning then go back inside to get geared up and whatnot, usually end up a good bit of discoloration. I've also noticed that dealer demo bikes can tend to have a lot. Just let your motor sit idle for 20 or 30 mins on a hot summer day if you'd like to get a good jump on the whole process... but please don't.
I rode BMW's for eons. Except for a few (bad) late model bikes, they were all from the 60's and 70's. I NEVER let it sit still and run for long. BMW's run cooler than most air-cooled bikes and the pipes always turned blue. We never worried about it.
I've never had the pleasure of owning a BMW, but I'm sure over time yours had reached upper operating temps on more than a few occasions. I agree it's not an issue worth losing sleep over, but can become somewhat of an aesthetic issue. I'm more familiar with heat discoloration issues on the new Triumph Bonnevilles. And had my exhaust turned an even shade of blue, like a lot of others did, I doubt it would have bothered me. But after just a handful of rides in the Texas heat, mine were going a rainbow of different colors. From blue, to purple, to gold... a pretty wheat color and an ugly piss-stain shade of yellow.

The best option to deal with discolored exhaust pipes for a lazy, semi-anal retentive like myself was ceramic coating my pipes black. If I happen to end up with a standard model CB11 (think I recall someone saying the new DLX will have double wall pipes) there's a good chance I'd do a silver ceramic coating... rather, I'd "have it done".
 
Back
Top