Bike crank but wouldn't start.

The prime concern with using a different mount is clearance to the reluctor.
The new Triumph Bonnevilles had some issues with their sensors, but when the gap spec was changed (3 mm to 2 mm?), reliability was excellent.
 
SportsterDoc_imp said:
The prime concern with using a different mount is clearance to the reluctor.
The new Triumph Bonnevilles had some issues with their sensors, but when the gap spec was changed (3 mm to 2 mm?), reliability was excellent.
Absolutely, the gap issue is very important. That 1 mm difference (above specs) in most cases will "not fire" engine at all.
 
Thread starter
Well, it seems even the new CB650 sensor is hard to get, no dealer have ready stock.... It seems to be quite robust as I haven't been able to get my hand on any.....original cb1100 sensor back order is in place which at best est will take about 2-3months. Meanwhile will try to hunt for a used unit from cb650 to check if it is compatible.
 
The sensors are robust. Is it possible that there is a break in one of the leads?
 
Thread starter
I initially thought the wires were broken somewhere, so I cut a small opening near to the sensor as much as possible and measure from there. Both wires have good continuity till the connector socket. But when i measure the sensor, its open circuits. I am guessing the sensors either have broken circuits due to heat or a crash i suffered sometimes ago...
 
Zirconxi these pulse generators were used on most 600cc and up models, here are some links, you may be able to search more models.
If it was me i would look for a bike dismantler and buy a secondhand one and solder the wires to the old cables.

When you do don't mix up the colores of the wires, white should go to white and yellow to yellow, the ecu uses the negative part of the pulse to initiate the timing, if the wires have their colors swapped that may not happen at the correct time.

Here are some links;
https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/506c435af870023420a341b0/pulse-generator
https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f69cf870021c54be80db/right-crankcase-cover
https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/5053f69cf870021c54be80db/right-crankcase-cover
https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/511a8d6ef870022e4ccd323a/right-crankcase-cover

After 3 months you can still decide if you want the new one but in the mean time you can still ride the bike.
 
Can't figure out why the CPK would open circuit from being parked in the rain.

However, if 30300-MG3-003 is what is needed, Max already provided the partsfish on-line source for $48.41.

adeptpowersports.com is backordered

partszilla is out of stock

hondapartshouse.com is apparently available for $45.64.

Don't know who may ship to Malaysia.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Houtman for offering to help. Really appreciate it.. But I had already order the part last week. Its a back order so its going to take some time. 2-3 months is a looooooooooooong time to wait. Hence why I am exploring alternatives.

SportsterDoc, the rain damaging the bike is only initially thought as it wouldn't start after I left her in the rain. But thanks to Max and others help I had isolated the problem to this sensor. The bike have been having this intermittent misfiring when hot before this, but she always run without any problem. Guess now I know why she misfire once a while. As to how the part fail, I could only suspect the heat (I rode mostly in 38-40 Celcius/ 100F -104F for hours) or a small crash I suffer before this (It hit the right crank cover). Either might have cause it to open circuits, or other reasons unknown here.
 
OK, the intermittent misfires when hot explains a lot.
I was not disputing the diagnostics, guided by Max, step by step.
My comment "can't figure out why the CPK would open circuit from being parked in the rain" was based upon my experience with cam or crank position sensors failing/beginning to fail due to heat.

An easy test when CPS or CPK is suspect and not yet completely failed, is to apply heat, such as a hair dryer (easy access to nose cone on Sportster) to replicate failing and to then apply cool air to usually restore function.

Now, that we are aware it has been failing for some time, the pieces of the puzzle come together.

You are a good man, Houtman!

zirconxi, did you check stock at hondapartshouse.com or any other on-line sources?
 
Thread starter
Hi SportsterDoc, I thought your statement of "can't figure out why the CPK would open circuit from being parked in the rain" is a question. So I try to answer as best as i can. I actually quite welcome any comment or disputing of any kind, it help with the diagnostic and analyse. The more people sharing the their opinion, the better. I did check the hondaparthouse.com, but it seem all their listing is "Ship in 1-3 business day". If like partzilla.com, that would means theres' no stock.
 
zirconxi_imp said:
Hi SportsterDoc, I thought your statement of "can't figure out why the CPK would open circuit from being parked in the rain" is a question. So I try to answer as best as i can. I actually quite welcome any comment or disputing of any kind, it help with the diagnostic and analyse. The more people sharing the their opinion, the better. I did check the hondaparthouse.com, but it seem all their listing is "Ship in 1-3 business day". If like partzilla.com, that would means theres' no stock.
If you mentioned that it was mis-firing before it failed, I missed it. That is important in confirming the diagnostics. For a normal functioning CPK to fail overnight in rainy weather did not otherwise compute. Nobody on this forum wants a member to buy a part unnecessarily.

If it ships in 1-3 business days, that is a general indication of in-stock and that the order will process in that time.

Enjoy your 87 F / 31 C 66% humidity weather! It was 27 F / -3 C yesterday morning in central Arizona.
 
Thread starter
Hahaha, if only I can ride my CB, i would enjoy the weather. The misfiring I think i didn't actually mention it here. Its actually in another thread i posted sometimes ago but it seems minor, intermittent and hardy noticeable, so I just ignore it. I didn't link it to this problem until now....
I posted it on Sept last year. So I guess the bike had been running with a failing sensor for almost 4 months without any problem. Here's the old post.
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=14807
 
Thanks for posting the link regarding the miss. I had not previously seen it, as I checked this forum less and less after "retiring" from motorcycling Sep 2018. I enjoy this friendly forum, but my main interest is helping with issues and there have been few.
 
Thread starter
My crank pulse generator/sensor 30300-MGC-003 part had arrived. The new crank sensor have 478 ohms when new compare to my old one which have an open circuit. Will be installing the new part tonight. Riding days ahead, yeehaw....

ps: its actually made in Indonesia, not Japan... But I bought from Japan stockist... Kind of funny how things keep flying around the world just to reach end user...
 
Nice work Zirconxi, hope the cover comes off easy, it should be simple to install, make sure the gap is the same so the new part is not damaged on the install, rotate the crankshaft through the hole in the right side cover by hand first to ensure the gap is correct before firing up the engine, you know what i mean.

Thanks for the update.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Max for the heads up. My cover was off easily with the help of a small plastic tube. i use it as separator when i screw in from the hole use to turn the crank. as the hole screw going in, it push the tube against the bolt use to hold the crank pulse rotor (the gear thingy with missing tooth), thus pushing the cover out. After sensor replaced, the bike fired up right away with the new crank sensor without any problem. Only issue is I have to redo the installation as I had done the gasket dressing wrong the 1st time (only dress the outer perimeter of screw hole). after i packed everything and then realized the oil might leak thru the screw holes, so i redo the dressing again focusing on inner perimeter of screw hole. Anyway, thanks everyone help for solving my problem. Will start to ride tomorrow once my gasket is cured fully. Problem consider solved...
 
zirconxi_imp said:
Hi all,
3 days back i left my bike park outside in the rain. After the rain stop i rode the bike to fill up some gas and took her for a short 10km ride to dry up. Once home its been parked under roof. Today when i try to fire her up, she give me crank but just wouldn't start. I place my hand over the exhaust and can feel the air pulse. When key turn to on, have the usual fuel pump priming. Could it be bad gasoline or injector clot due to rain water?
Check the battery, note the voltage drop when cranking. The battery may have enough juice to crank but not enough to produce a good fat spark.
 
Back
Top