Bike acting like it?s in neutral when it?s in 1st gear

carlenn_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hey all,

Not sure what’s going on exactly but when I tried to go for a ride today, my bike wouldn’t move. Turned on fine, shifted into 1st fine, but the bike was still acting like it was in neutral—no friction zone, bike didn’t even stall when I took my hand off the clutch. Same thing when I shifted up to 2nd gear. Could feel the shift, and the shift registered on the dash, but couldn’t pull out of the parking space.

It was working fine last night, so it’s a pretty sudden change. Didn’t see any signs of someone tampering with it. Suspecting maybe clutch fluid? Any other suggestions or similar situations?
 
Uhhhh, that's an interesting problem. It's a mystery it happened overnight

If the chain or sprockets were changed recently, it is possible the retaining bolt and washer fell off and the sprocket slid off the countershaft. You could tell because the chain would be loose and not turning smoothly on the centerstand.

If the clutch were way overfilled or the clutch master cylinder was clogged and not releasing pressure, it might behave as if it was always pulled in. How many miles on the bike?
 
Thread starter
Around 8,000 miles. Chain and sprockets are fine for what I know—weren’t recently replaced. Oil recently changed. Took it to the shop to replace front tire about 2 months ago and the only thing they noticed was that the rear brake pads needed to be replaced, which was done same day.
 
If that bike is a ‘14 and you have never flushed the fluids, that could be a good place to start. Just by what Pekingduck said about the master cylinder. Flush the clutch.

Make sure you first remove all the fluid from the MC geting it all out down to the bottom where crud likes to settle to. Then put in new fluid and do the flush. Never pull the lever with no fluid in the MC. AND cover your tank as brake fluid will ruin/remove paint.
 
To check the clutch plates movement you can remove the plastic black oil filler plug on the right hand side and have a look inside.

Do not run the engine with the oil filler cap removed, it will splash out of the opening!

I can see about 2 mm movement in the clutch basket which is right below the opening if the clutch lever is pulled in through that opening.

Another thing to check is when the bike is on the centerstand with the engine off ; put it in gear and rotate the rear wheel, notice any unusual sounds or movement of the chain.
 
Put it in first with engine off and rock it forward and see if it actually went into gear. If it did pull in clutch and see if it will freely push forward.
 
Thread starter
I wasn’t home for most of the day yesterday to take a closer look, but I spent all this time posting and asking people and trying to guess what it could’ve been. Was up late getting Dot 4 — maybe I need to bleed the fluids. Finally was about to work on it today and guess what?

Someone stole my chain. WHO STEALS A CHAIN?

Next thing on the to do list: replace the chain.
 
No matter how thorough a checklist is made, it will always miss some very basic stuff :D


Problem: there is no drive
check:
-Are you riding a bike, and not a sofa?
-Is the engine on?
-Are both (number must be two) tyres in contact with the ground?
...
...
-Is there a chain?

I wouldn't have thought of this one!
 
How is it even possible to steal a chain??? This is an endless chain, so would require a chain breaker and/or a grinder, or a cutoff wheel.

I'd like to hear the rest of this story.
 
serious...this story is true...you havent noticed that the chain wasn't there ?

hmmmm
there are things that do not exist....:rolleyes:



and
where nothing is can not "" replace"" anything..:P

btw
if I push my bikes around I must to pull the clutch because always a gear is inserted... .its my "handbrake" on that way always if i park the bike somewehre
 
Well that's a bummer. On the other hand it could have been way more expensive and inconvenient.

But the question stands: who would steal a chain and why?
 
cookiemech_imp said:
How is it even possible to steal a chain??? This is an endless chain, so would require a chain breaker and/or a grinder, or a cutoff wheel.

I'd like to hear the rest of this story.
No kidding!
 
In working with the general public for many years I have noticed one sad fact. If it is not bolted down someone will take it. And sometimes even if it is.
 
Bheezy27403_imp said:
In working with the general public for many years I have noticed one sad fact. If it is not bolted down someone will take it. And sometimes even if it is.
It's a sad commentary on what society has evolved to - but I suppose petty theft has always been with us.
 
True, someone will steal anything given the chance. But this is baffling. Why a chain. If they had the apparatus to steal the chain, they could have easily just taken the whole bike.

Got to work a week ago, and the street was flooding. Someone had gone down the alley behind our row of shops, and cut off the water regulators for each shop. Six pieces of brass, each of which probably netted one pound of scrap value, and they were obviously nearly drowned in the act of the theft by all of the gushing water that was flowing out of the now open pipes. At least they turned in the scrap brass and got a few dollars. But a chain?
 
Back
Top