Beware of Fram oil filters

NateOh_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I did my 600 mile oil change/service the other day. Bought Honda GN4 from the dealer and a Fram PH6017A filter from a big box store. Everything was going smoothly until time to install the new filter. After a couple turns it became very hard to turn. Luckily, I backed it off right away without forcing it. Upon inspection the filter was a PH6018A! Suzuki filter! Right box with the wrong filter in it! Man am I glad I didn't ruin the threads on the filter tube!
I was talking with the mechanic at the trucking company that I work for and he told me that they had stopped using Fram filters on the trucks for that exact same reason! CRAZY!
Ended up going to the dealer and getting an OEM filter and think I'll continue doing that for the life of the bike. WHEW!
 
Glad it worked out! Even if you had messed up the threads, the part is called a boss, oil filter, and is replaceable. The manual even says to ensure the boss is tight before installing the filter. No one here has reported a loose boss though. I think one member messed his up. I can't remember if he replaced it or just chased the threads.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Glad it worked out! Even if you had messed up the threads, the part is called a boss, oil filter, and is replaceable. The manual even says to ensure the boss is tight before installing the filter. No one here has reported a loose boss though. I think one member messed his up. I can't remember if he replaced it or just chased the threads.
Yessir, boss! :D
 
About to do my 600 miles. I opted not to go to the Honda dealer. They wanted $160 Canadian or about $120 US for what is basically an oil change and checking a few bolts. Crazy. Still even the GN4 oil, filter and crush washer cost me $51. I can get the car changed and lubed for $53 for our local mechanic!

I went with OEM the first time as per forum advice but next time I'll be shopping around.
 
Beware K&N as well. There's a thread on it somewhere.
 
Always check that what is in the box matches what is on the box. It may not have been Frams fault here. People like to go around and change packaging just to mess with people or to get a more expensive filter for a cheaper price. I work for O'Reilly Auto Parts and it see it WAY too often.
 
Oil filters can be as bad as oil threads. Wix, Napa and manufacturer filters are the only ones I use now. Honda and Ford can't ding you for using their filters.

But it's an interesting topic if you google oil filters. Some guys have really gone the extra mile and tore into them. It can be an eye opener.
 
Elipten_imp said:
Darn dishonest people. Just general deterioration of society


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is no joke. A couple of young fellows came into the store yesterday and were dealing with my youngest employee (very naive) and tried to pass a bad check with an ID that didn't quite pass muster. Oh, and the transaction was for over $520 worth of parts.
When the guy in charge told them no, they got mad and then said that they would be back with cash.....guess what didn't happen.
 
NateOh_imp said:
I did my 600 mile oil change/service the other day. Bought Honda GN4 from the dealer and a Fram PH6017A filter from a big box store. Everything was going smoothly until time to install the new filter. After a couple turns it became very hard to turn. Luckily, I backed it off right away without forcing it. Upon inspection the filter was a PH6018A! Suzuki filter! Right box with the wrong filter in it! Man am I glad I didn't ruin the threads on the filter tube!
I was talking with the mechanic at the trucking company that I work for and he told me that they had stopped using Fram filters on the trucks for that exact same reason! CRAZY!
Ended up going to the dealer and getting an OEM filter and think I'll continue doing that for the life of the bike. WHEW!
Thanks for the tip. Yeah, shoppers can mess up the box contents to their advantage. Age old trick.
 
redbirds_imp said:
This video shows the internals of the most commonly used filters.
Very informative video, thank you for sharing. Makes me real glad to be using the Honda filter that’s for sure. Seems to be the most well engineered by a long shot.
 
Back
Top