Best Way to Locate a 2014 CB1100 DLX?

treytexag_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I've done a little calling around and I haven't found one yet. There are quite a few ads for the 2014 DLX on cycletrader, but when I send a note, they don't have it --OR-- what they have is a 2013 or a non-DLX. Not sure why they run the ad if they don't have the bike.

Anyway, sorry for the stupid question, but, is there a good way to locate a 2014 DLX closest to my home? Or must I simply get the phone and begin calling all local Honda dealers and work my way out from my city - ie. brute force method?

If y'all got any ideas, please let me know - thanks alot.

treytexag
 
They run the ad because even though they don't have the bike it still got you to call them, and who knows, a few people may be convinced to come in and look at other models or brands.
It's technically a bait and switch, but they could always claim that "Joe" from the Internet desk forgot to take the ad down after the bike was sold.

When I was looking, I started with Cycle Trader online to see who showed one for sale and then I started the calls. It can be a frustrating experience where patience is a necessary quality. I Even went to one Honda dealer who had one, but when I got there the sales people were duds, there was the bike out at the loading dock, not prepped and no battery. No one offered to put a battery in it, and they were adamant that no test rides were allowed of any bike. The salesman actually walked away from me and went back inside while I was looking at the bike at the loading dock.

Online, I saw a few within my driving range, and eventually found and bought mine from an independent dealer not affiliated with any one particular brand. I didn't even know that dealer existed before seeing their ad online in Cycle Trader.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the reply. I was worried that may be the case. I've dealt with or come into contact with motorcycle dealers right here in Houston like the one you describe. Dealer name was Stubbs, but it was a number of years back, so perhaps that specific dealer is different now.

Again, appreciate the help sir.

treytexag
 
You're welcome, trey. I didn't want to sound negative, but just to show it can be a "normal" experience to have to work harder than we should, just to find some honest dealer to hand over our hard earned money. Keep at it, and eventually you'll find what you want.
 
I had good luck with Cycle Trader. I found two dealers with the bike I wanted in stock. A competition for my business started and I ended up with a good price for a great motorcycle. Hang in there and good luck. The right bike will come along. Trust me. They always do.
 
I will chip in here to say that if you want the 14 deluxe, don't settle for anything else as they still are available. I had several dealers trying to sell me the 2013 model even when I came in stating that I was looking for a deluxe. Love the sixth gear and ABS.
 
Thread starter
Andy, this has happened already. "Come on in", "we've got a great 2013 here", "you'll love it!". Me: "Do you have a '14 DLX?" . . . . "uhhh, no, sorry, we don't . . . " LOL.

I know its a great bike, but yes, I want the 6th gear, twin exhaust system and red paint . . .

I'm a patient man . . . ;-)

treytexag
Metal, how close (or far) were the two dealers located from you? I've found a couple out of state - one would be $650 shipping, and the other $550 shipping. So I'm considering that too.

treytexag
 
. I went through the same runaround with Cycle Trader. Go to the source. powersports.honda.com. Scroll down to the bottom and you can search for Honda dealers by zip code.
 
treytexag_imp said:
I've done a little calling around and I haven't found one yet. There are quite a few ads for the 2014 DLX on cycletrader, but when I send a note, they don't have it --OR-- what they have is a 2013 or a non-DLX. Not sure why they run the ad if they don't have the bike.

Anyway, sorry for the stupid question, but, is there a good way to locate a 2014 DLX closest to my home? Or must I simply get the phone and begin calling all local Honda dealers and work my way out from my city - ie. brute force method?

If y'all got any ideas, please let me know - thanks alot.

treytexag
Did you try Wild West (HERE)? They show to have one.

In my opinion, THE BEST dealer in the Houston area.
 
treytexag_imp said:
Andy, this has happened already. "Come on in", "we've got a great 2013 here", "you'll love it!". Me: "Do you have a '14 DLX?" . . . . "uhhh, no, sorry, we don't . . . " LOL.

I know its a great bike, but yes, I want the 6th gear, twin exhaust system and red paint . . .

I'm a patient man . . . ;-)

treytexag
Metal, how close (or far) were the two dealers located from you? I've found a couple out of state - one would be $650 shipping, and the other $550 shipping. So I'm considering that too.

treytexag
I was fortunate in that both were very close. One was approximately 10 miles away and the other, maybe 15. The dealerships will often have room to play with the numbers. Of course, they're in the business of making money and no one should fault them for that, but if you find one that must be shipped, at least attempt to negotiate a lower price because of the extra you'll be paying in shipping.
 
Thread starter
DGShannon_imp said:
treytexag_imp said:
I've done a little calling around and I haven't found one yet. There are quite a few ads for the 2014 DLX on cycletrader, but when I send a note, they don't have it --OR-- what they have is a 2013 or a non-DLX. Not sure why they run the ad if they don't have the bike.

Anyway, sorry for the stupid question, but, is there a good way to locate a 2014 DLX closest to my home? Or must I simply get the phone and begin calling all local Honda dealers and work my way out from my city - ie. brute force method?

If y'all got any ideas, please let me know - thanks alot.

treytexag
Did you try Wild West (HERE)? They show to have one.

In my opinion, THE BEST dealer in the Houston area.

Did you try Wild West ([url=http://www.wildwestmotoplex.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?mfrcode=&catcode=&modelyear=2014&veh=393334]HERE)? They show to have one.

In my opinion, THE BEST dealer in the Houston area.
DGS, I shall call them manana! Never know . . . .

treytexag
 
Honda of Lafayette, LA had one about a month ago. That is only four hours from you. Give them a call. It's a beauty. Sorry, but my butt cheeks sat on the seat. Don't worry I had pants on.
 
Thread starter
DGShannon_imp said:
treytexag_imp said:
I've done a little calling around and I haven't found one yet. There are quite a few ads for the 2014 DLX on cycletrader, but when I send a note, they don't have it --OR-- what they have is a 2013 or a non-DLX. Not sure why they run the ad if they don't have the bike.

Anyway, sorry for the stupid question, but, is there a good way to locate a 2014 DLX closest to my home? Or must I simply get the phone and begin calling all local Honda dealers and work my way out from my city - ie. brute force method?

If y'all got any ideas, please let me know - thanks alot.

treytexag
Did you try Wild West (HERE)? They show to have one.

In my opinion, THE BEST dealer in the Houston area.

Did you try Wild West ([url=http://www.wildwestmotoplex.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?mfrcode=&catcode=&modelyear=2014&veh=393334]HERE)? They show to have one.

In my opinion, THE BEST dealer in the Houston area.
DG - no go. That is all marketing nonsense. What they show on the website as "inventory" is imaginary inventory. They do have a 2013 model on the floor though . . . . I have heard that before. :-)

Anyway, sure appreciate the suggestion. I'm trying to get ahold of Honda of Lafayette - tried about 6 of their extensions - no one there picks up the phone. Perhaps Honda of Lafayette is closed due to cold weather??

Appreciate the suggestions men. If anyone else 'round here knows of a 14 DLX in the area, please do send a note. Thanks.

treytexag
 
treytexag_imp said:
DGShannon_imp said:
treytexag_imp said:
I've done a little calling around and I haven't found one yet. There are quite a few ads for the 2014 DLX on cycletrader, but when I send a note, they don't have it --OR-- what they have is a 2013 or a non-DLX. Not sure why they run the ad if they don't have the bike.

Anyway, sorry for the stupid question, but, is there a good way to locate a 2014 DLX closest to my home? Or must I simply get the phone and begin calling all local Honda dealers and work my way out from my city - ie. brute force method?

If y'all got any ideas, please let me know - thanks alot.

treytexag
Did you try Wild West (HERE)? They show to have one.

In my opinion, THE BEST dealer in the Houston area.

Did you try Wild West ([url=http://www.wildwestmotoplex.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?mfrcode=&catcode=&modelyear=2014&veh=393334]HERE)? They show to have one.

In my opinion, THE BEST dealer in the Houston area.
DG - no go. That is all marketing nonsense. What they show on the website as "inventory" is imaginary inventory. They do have a 2013 model on the floor though . . . . I have heard that before. :-)

Anyway, sure appreciate the suggestion. I'm trying to get ahold of Honda of Lafayette - tried about 6 of their extensions - no one there picks up the phone. Perhaps Honda of Lafayette is closed due to cold weather??

Appreciate the suggestions men. If anyone else 'round here knows of a 14 DLX in the area, please do send a note. Thanks.

treytexag

Did you try Wild West ([url=http://www.wildwestmotoplex.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?mfrcode=&catcode=&modelyear=2014&veh=393334]HERE)? They show to have one.

In my opinion, THE BEST dealer in the Houston area.
DG - no go. That is all marketing nonsense. What they show on the website as "inventory" is imaginary inventory. They do have a 2013 model on the floor though . . . . I have heard that before. :-)

Anyway, sure appreciate the suggestion. I'm trying to get ahold of Honda of Lafayette - tried about 6 of their extensions - no one there picks up the phone. Perhaps Honda of Lafayette is closed due to cold weather??

Appreciate the suggestions men. If anyone else 'round here knows of a 14 DLX in the area, please do send a note. Thanks.

treytexag
I'm sending you a PM. Just talked to my Sales guy at RPM Cycle in Carrollton and he says there are DLX's in the area. He took very good care of me when I bought my DLX last month.
 
treytexag_imp said:
DGShannon_imp said:
treytexag_imp said:
I've done a little calling around and I haven't found one yet. There are quite a few ads for the 2014 DLX on cycletrader, but when I send a note, they don't have it --OR-- what they have is a 2013 or a non-DLX. Not sure why they run the ad if they don't have the bike.

Anyway, sorry for the stupid question, but, is there a good way to locate a 2014 DLX closest to my home? Or must I simply get the phone and begin calling all local Honda dealers and work my way out from my city - ie. brute force method?

If y'all got any ideas, please let me know - thanks alot.

treytexag
Did you try Wild West (HERE)? They show to have one.

In my opinion, THE BEST dealer in the Houston area.

Did you try Wild West ([url=http://www.wildwestmotoplex.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?mfrcode=&catcode=&modelyear=2014&veh=393334]HERE)? They show to have one.

In my opinion, THE BEST dealer in the Houston area.
DG - no go. That is all marketing nonsense. What they show on the website as "inventory" is imaginary inventory. They do have a 2013 model on the floor though . . . . I have heard that before. :-)

Anyway, sure appreciate the suggestion. I'm trying to get ahold of Honda of Lafayette - tried about 6 of their extensions - no one there picks up the phone. Perhaps Honda of Lafayette is closed due to cold weather??

Appreciate the suggestions men. If anyone else 'round here knows of a 14 DLX in the area, please do send a note. Thanks.

treytexag

When I purchased my 2013 from them, that left one remaining on the floor, and it already had a Yoshimura slip on installed, due to damage while moving bikes. I would guess that they are still sitting on that last one. Unless you are dead set on a 2014, I would sure think hard about that 2013 given the cost savings. The amount of cash left in your pocket (available for farkles) ain't nothing to sneeze at!
 
Thread starter
OK funny story - IMHO - that I want to share. Called and spoke to this sales guy (I'll leave his name off here) at Wild West today. Here is what he said.

He says "Yep, did some checking on that bike. Seems like it's not real popular around here". He goes on to say "what that means is they're not selling many and so you won't find many dealers that ordered them so you may have a hard time finding one." Then he said this "When you find one, you should be able to get a real good price on it, since they're not selling and nobody wants one."

He went on to say that he didn't think it was a bad bike, he just didn't think it was the best bike out there, so they weren't too popular.

I told him yes, it was a "niche-y" product, appealling to us "old-schoolers" with straight up ergos. He said yep, that's right.

Anyway, in the end, the fellow at Wild West was friendly and helpful, but I thought the way he "couched" his story was funny . . . .

treytexag
 
Back
Top