Best "Net Gain" CB11 Exhaust Option

E11even_Hunnit

Been there
Thread starter
Which one is it?

I've looked lots of places, including overseas website in other languages, trying to find THE one.

My findings are, that on this particular platform, there seems to be those who swear by either slip-ons, or full systems. The 2 top names that seem to consistently surface are Moriwaki(full) or Staintune(Slip-on)

Provided that there is a component of "engine/fuel management" involved, what's the word/thoughts on the street?

Who takes the cake for the exhaust with most gains? Sound note aside that is, since that is rather subjective

Stock vacuum lovers need not apply to this topic :rofl:

Power gains are at question here, not the reminiscing chromed out beauty that came from the factory :thumbsup:
 
So... you're looking for 'performance', eh?

Why not just buy a performance 'bike? Then leave the CB as the beautifully-running 'retro' bike it is, with no pretensions of 'performance' (120mph not fast enough?), and enjoy the stock way that it runs. Reliability allied to a nice torquey motor - why ruin that?

I don't get why loads of you guys buy THIS 'bike and then just want "more power", totally ruining the WAY this CB delivers the type of power it does.

TORQUE... not power is the name of this game.

Each to his own, I suppose.

Mind you, the bland looks of the CB is crying out for "something" to be done to liven it up! Four exhausts would do that, a la CB750.. :thumbsup:
 
Plus, I'm not sure that anyone who has really approached this scientifically has got all that much of a power gain out of changing the exhaust. Powerdubs? Beardyweirdy?
 
I fully agree with Bazbro , a 4 into 4 makes it look like it should and also the sound is improved without making it too loud. You can also easily improve the ride with a seat suiting YOU and perhaps some suspension upgrades. However it is your bike and the owner can do what they want.
 
Thread starter
Been thru both an R6 as well as a crossplane R1 to know what "performance" is, but thanks for checking. Screw a 750 I got a 900F and if I wanted to build a bike from scratch I'd go 1123 kit on it or get a proper '83 11F as a slate and go from there. The goal here is to make more power on this bike, hence the thread is being posted here and not on another board. As I said, all those not on board need not apply, as I don't need discourage-rs or nay sayers, and I mean that with all due respect :thumbsup:

Yes, I was actually hoping PowerDubs would chime in here since I know he's probably the most experienced in this topic on the CB, or at least on this forum.

Let the substance-filled discussion continue, or should I say commence?
 
Well since this forum started there have only been a handful that actually had dyno testing done after a pipe install. IIRC without other mods..intake, cat removal etc, most of the gains were in the +3 or +4 hp range, and weight loss was in the 5 or 6 pounds neighborhood. With a host of other mods, intake, cat removal, power commander or some such fuel delivery adjustment, they might see an 8 or 9 hp gain. With special ground cams I think Powerdubs saw about an 11 or 12 HP gain, again if memory serve me.I'm sure he will be along eventually to clear that up. Not all CB's start out exactly the same either. Some have reported 84 hp pre-mods and some 88 hp pre-mods, but I think Beirdy Weirdy and Powerdubs are the only ones that have crested the 100 hp plateau that I recall and that was just barely. On an otherwise stock CB 1100 with just a slip on I would expect a 3 HP gain and a loss of 4 pounds, with a full cat-less pipe maybe 6 hp gain and 8 or 10 pound loss.

Regardless of mfg claims no one is going to gain 10 hp and lose 20 pounds with an exhaust on the CB. At least no one has so far that I am aware of.

BTW if you type "dyno" in the search engine you can several posts from guys that dyno'd their bikes
 
I pretty much concur with the Ferret on this one. My 2013 came with a full Yoshimura exhaust thanks to the original owner. Out of curiosity I found a factory Yosh dyno compare, on their site I believe, showing a 5 hp gain at the top end with no other mods. The torque was about the same, as was hp til about 5k when it gradually gained to peak.
I really didn't care much about it either way as 98% or more of my riding is below 5k.
With a cam swap and Guhl flash, I improved peak hp, and more usefully for my purposes got a nice little torque bump at lower rpm.
Good Luck,

Ben
 
Thread starter
This is helpful. I should've stated that I'm not naively expecting to somehow get to 110HP with a single exhaust upgrade, nor do I realistically see that number as feasible, at least not without burning through thousand$ which I have no intent in spending. Primarily since I'm well aware of the engine's limitations at play here.

The objective here would be to get somewhere around the 100HP ballpark, or at least close to it. All while having an unobstructed and consistent powerband that will allow for the bike to go and feel faster, and be more enjoyable, for me. No, I don't intend on running it at a drag strip.

The mods involved to get there would include:
Air intake "snorkel" mod
PCV
Exhaust(Either a full Moriwaki system or the Staintune slip-on)

The latter being the one area I'd like some input from fellow power-seeking CB owners that have already played with this idea and explored their options to some extent

TIA
 
Bazbro_imp said:
So... you're looking for 'performance', eh?

Why not just buy a performance 'bike? Then leave the CB as the beautifully-running 'retro' bike it is, with no pretensions of 'performance' (120mph not fast enough?), and enjoy the stock way that it runs. Reliability allied to a nice torquey motor - why ruin that?

I don't get why loads of you guys buy THIS 'bike and then just want "more power", totally ruining the WAY this CB delivers the type of power it does.

TORQUE... not power is the name of this game.

Each to his own, I suppose.

Mind you, the bland looks of the CB is crying out for "something" to be done to liven it up! Four exhausts would do that, a la CB750.. :thumbsup:


I find posts like this insulting, inflammatory, and most importantly- IGNORANT.


My bike makes more power, MORE TORQUE at every rpm, than stock.

It also rides smoother, more comfortable, and is awesomely cool to look at.

I wanted a classic UJM, I don’t want a sport bike. I also wanted more snot, and I’ve got it.

Your engine performance, and your attitude need improving.

I made - to the wheel - 100HP, 72.5TQ on stock ECU- so piggyback fueling, no IGN changes.

I have since added a Guhls ECU tune- need to get her back to the dyno and see what I’ve gained.




9d650aeba09edb1ecf40ff8b5844fc21.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
PowerDubs_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
So... you're looking for 'performance', eh?

Why not just buy a performance 'bike? Then leave the CB as the beautifully-running 'retro' bike it is, with no pretensions of 'performance' (120mph not fast enough?), and enjoy the stock way that it runs. Reliability allied to a nice torquey motor - why ruin that?

I don't get why loads of you guys buy THIS 'bike and then just want "more power", totally ruining the WAY this CB delivers the type of power it does.

TORQUE... not power is the name of this game.

Each to his own, I suppose.

Mind you, the bland looks of the CB is crying out for "something" to be done to liven it up! Four exhausts would do that, a la CB750.. :thumbsup:


I find posts like this insulting, inflammatory, and most importantly- IGNORANT.


My bike makes more power, MORE TORQUE at every rpm, than stock.

It also rides smoother, more comfortable, and is awesomely cool to look at.

I wanted a classic UJM, I don’t want a sport bike. I also wanted more snot, and I’ve got it.

Your engine performance, and your attitude need improving.

I made - to the wheel - 100HP, 72.5TQ on stock ECU- so piggyback fueling, no IGN changes.

I have since added a Guhls ECU tune- need to get her back to the dyno and see what I’ve gained.




9d650aeba09edb1ecf40ff8b5844fc21.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I find posts like this insulting, inflammatory, and most importantly- IGNORANT.


My bike makes more power, MORE TORQUE at every rpm, than stock.

It also rides smoother, more comfortable, and is awesomely cool to look at.

I wanted a classic UJM, I don’t want a sport bike. I also wanted more snot, and I’ve got it.

Your engine performance, and your attitude need improving.

I made - to the wheel - 100HP, 72.5TQ on stock ECU- so piggyback fueling, no IGN changes.

I have since added a Guhls ECU tune- need to get her back to the dyno and see what I’ve gained.




6f7dae476fcae6d2a92588945014be0c.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man himself has spoken. Thanks for chiming in, Josh :beerchug:

That last Dyno pull nearly got me in the mood :P

What exhaust are you running? I'm in a situation where basically I get to choose between either a Staintune slip-on or a Moriwaki 4-1 system(1 piece version, looks nearly identical to the Yoshi?)
Leaning towards the full Moriwaki for obvious reasons, unless you have reason to believe the Staintune with the stock headers should be the way to go, power-wise

Exhaust aside, I've been debating how or in what order I should approach the aforementioned complementary mods. Do you recommend I wire up the PCV prior to getting the ECU flash?

Also very much looking forward to seeing the results of your next Dyno run, whenever that may be :thumbsup:
 
I'm really sorry that you find my honestly-held opinion "insulting, inflammatory and ultimately IGNORANT". Not a lot of room for discussion or dissent there, is there, so I won't bother?

On a nice, friendly forum like this, I will refrain from expressing my view on your response - suffice to say that I think that you are wrong on almost every point you try to make.

If there is an 'attitude' here that needs changing, it us yours, my friend. I take it that you don't handle contrary opinion very well?

We're all free to treat our 'bikes the way we believe is correct, and contrary opinion is just that, not any kind of insult, or ignorance.

I shall say no more out of respect for those running this great Forum.
 
ok, lets take a step back and take a breath everyone.

All opinions have value, and merit. We can disagree without becoming disagreeable, especially without resorting to derogatory name calling and insults.

I'm not sure a world wide public forum is the best place to ask a question, especially if you only expect those that agree with you to respond. Usually doesn't happen like that.

If you can't get a long I'll use moderators digression and delete the thread.
 
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Bazbro_imp said:
So... you're looking for 'performance', eh?

Why not just buy a performance 'bike? Then leave the CB as the beautifully-running 'retro' bike it is, with no pretensions of 'performance' (120mph not fast enough?), and enjoy the stock way that it runs. Reliability allied to a nice torquey motor - why ruin that?

I don't get why loads of you guys buy THIS 'bike and then just want "more power", totally ruining the WAY this CB delivers the type of power it does.

TORQUE... not power is the name of this game.

Each to his own, I suppose.

Mind you, the bland looks of the CB is crying out for "something" to be done to liven it up! Four exhausts would do that, a la CB750.. :thumbsup:


I find posts like this insulting, inflammatory, and most importantly- IGNORANT.


My bike makes more power, MORE TORQUE at every rpm, than stock.

It also rides smoother, more comfortable, and is awesomely cool to look at.

I wanted a classic UJM, I don’t want a sport bike. I also wanted more snot, and I’ve got it.

Your engine performance, and your attitude need improving.

I made - to the wheel - 100HP, 72.5TQ on stock ECU- so piggyback fueling, no IGN changes.

I have since added a Guhls ECU tune- need to get her back to the dyno and see what I’ve gained.




9d650aeba09edb1ecf40ff8b5844fc21.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I find posts like this insulting, inflammatory, and most importantly- IGNORANT.


My bike makes more power, MORE TORQUE at every rpm, than stock.

It also rides smoother, more comfortable, and is awesomely cool to look at.

I wanted a classic UJM, I don’t want a sport bike. I also wanted more snot, and I’ve got it.

Your engine performance, and your attitude need improving.

I made - to the wheel - 100HP, 72.5TQ on stock ECU- so piggyback fueling, no IGN changes.

I have since added a Guhls ECU tune- need to get her back to the dyno and see what I’ve gained.




6f7dae476fcae6d2a92588945014be0c.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The man himself has spoken. Thanks for chiming in, Josh :beerchug:

That last Dyno pull nearly got me in the mood :P

What exhaust are you running? I'm in a situation where basically I get to choose between either a Staintune slip-on or a Moriwaki 4-1 system(1 piece version, looks nearly identical to the Yoshi?)
Leaning towards the full Moriwaki for obvious reasons, unless you have reason to believe the Staintune with the stock headers should be the way to go, power-wise

Exhaust aside, I've been debating how or in what order I should approach the aforementioned complementary mods. Do you recommend I wire up the PCV prior to getting the ECU flash?

Also very much looking forward to seeing the results of your next Dyno run, whenever that may be :thumbsup:

I am running arrow headers and a staintune muffler.

Runs great, sounds great, look great.

I would happily run a Moriwaki 4-4 though as those look and probably sound wonderful.

I think any exhaust that ditches the cat and more open muffler should see roughly the same power gains. Technically a 4-1 is considered most efficient as far as pulses- but I think a lot of that is old school data from many decades ago.

Naturally as engine displacement gets larger, eventually dual exhaust is required.

4-1 eases any discrepancy on cyl tuning- but if you are tuning for power, not lean cruise economy- it shouldn't matter. DJ does have dual sensor kits I briefly seen somewhere- not sure if they have one for the DLX, or if it was just for big cruisers like a harley.

On tuning- an ECU flash is locking you to some other guys settings on the day and location that tune was written. Better than nothing? Sure... but if you are already spending considerable money on a full exhaust...why skimp on feeding the engine?

Flash ECU- good, but locked, and not locked for YOUR bike, in YOUR riding altitude and weather.

PCV- just does fuel, and honestly if you look at the supplied 'maps'- they just throw 13.2 at the table...and the 2 trim files they show are different than each other...for no real reason than 2 different bikes on2 different days made them. Neither will 100% match your bike.

To me, the best answer is an ECU flash so you get an ign remap, the lower gear reductions removed, higher redline, higher top speed- AND both the PCV and Auto-tune box.

The addition of the auto-tune box will let YOU pick what fuel you want at what RPM and throttle position you want...and will adjust to that on the fly while you ride- regardless of temperature, altitude, humidity, etc..

I haven't tested it yet- but Popgun figured out a speed sensor wire on the bike- and the Dynojet setup has the capability to have different fuel maps for each gear...as load does change how the engine requires mixture ideally- and you can map say 6th gear just to get great MPG on a long trip.

Yea, I know- ECU flash + both DJ boxes, and you will probably need a new O2 bung welded into whatever header you chose- is a lot of cabbage- but it is worth it. And it is fun to play with. :)
 
This a Big CC turbo kit on a stock engined Z900RS no loss of bottom end powerr. I think the compression ratio on the CB110 is perfect for a turbo. This would knock the spots off a set of cams fancy exhaust etc and probably not cost much more..:cool::cool:
 
Thread starter
Brad14_imp said:
This a Big CC turbo kit on a stock engined Z900RS no loss of bottom end powerr. I think the compression ratio on the CB110 is perfect for a turbo. This would knock the spots off a set of cams fancy exhaust etc and probably not cost much more..:cool::cool:
Would love to see you try it and get back to us with your findings :thumbsup:

I ended up picking up a 1-Piece Moriwaki 4-1. Will be installing it tomorrow along with fresh new rubber(Angel GT's) SW Motech guards and a few other goodies.

Unfortunately, I jumped the gun and purchased the wrong PCV, so, proper tuning of the bike, is going to have to wait a little :sleepy:
 
I read this post through and thought about it for a bit...

First off I love my 2014 CB1100. It is am amazing bike and i just got back from my favorite run this afternoon. Just a pleasure to ride.

But... I am the type that needs to make the bike my own. The very first thing I did was add the full Yoshimura Exhaust System. Why did I choose this one? It was strictly for looks! I loved the vintage 4 cylinder air cooled bikes with the Yoshimura type 4 into 1 pipe. I always said I would get a bike just to add that exhaust too. I was looking for the CB350 to do this too! But the CB1100 was the prefect bike for this type pipe and the perfect addition to my Keeper Bike List.

I then added more goodies like the TSR Air Filter housing, K&N Air Filter and TSR Intake Funnels. I did have the CPU reprogramed. The bike is amazing. I just love it even more. I rarely ever use this new found power but it is sure fun to play with after a long hard day.

So best exhaust? I do not think you will see the difference between one high end pipe and another unless you ride the redline. For the easy going people like me, go with the one you like the looks of the best and have a ball! I am.
 
Thread starter
Got the exhaust installed- I absolutely LOVE the new sound, the bike demands it's well deserved attention.
7c4d8534e5d6f0795107b7246ac82c21.jpg


Ofcourse improper fuel management causes for some pockets and inconsistencies along the powerband along with backfiring(more like popping) during deceleration, the latter I don't mind as much, but this will have to do for now. PCV + Guhls alone will run me $700 without counting the DJ autotune box. Certainly looking forward to it though
 
Back
Top