Best Earplugs?

peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
For the average motorcycle, I find it hard to not wear any half-decent ear plugs for freeway-based riding - no matter the helmet.
+1, never go for a ride without'em
+1, never go for a ride without'em
Yeah, definitely helps cut down on general fatigue.
 
Can't wear em most of the time. I kinda like my Gel ear plugs but one day i was riding with them and went past a buddy's house and tooted the horn, and thought my horn had quit because I couldn't hear it. That's blocking too much sound for me.

Tried the foam plugs and could hear my heart beat, that's too quiet too.

So I just ride without them.
 
Tev62_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Tev62 , I always use the disposable foam earplugs but thank you for the link , good reading.
I do too, I find them the easiest to use. Mind you I had been putting them in incorrectly for years until someone pointed out a better way of fitting them. I was never putting them in deep enough and they always felt a little loose. Putting your opposite arm over the back of your head and pulling your ear up and back really opens up the canal for a good deep fit. It was a Homer Simpson moment for me. :s
I do too, I find them the easiest to use. Mind you I had been putting them in incorrectly for years until someone pointed out a better way of fitting them. I was never putting them in deep enough and they always felt a little loose. Putting your opposite arm over the back of your head and pulling your ear up and back really opens up the canal for a good deep fit. It was a Homer Simpson moment for me. :s
This is the way I put my earplugs into my ears but first I "wet" them in my mouth , same as Rossi does !
 
Houtman_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Tev62 , I always use the disposable foam earplugs but thank you for the link , good reading.
I do too, I find them the easiest to use. Mind you I had been putting them in incorrectly for years until someone pointed out a better way of fitting them. I was never putting them in deep enough and they always felt a little loose. Putting your opposite arm over the back of your head and pulling your ear up and back really opens up the canal for a good deep fit. It was a Homer Simpson moment for me. :s
I do too, I find them the easiest to use. Mind you I had been putting them in incorrectly for years until someone pointed out a better way of fitting them. I was never putting them in deep enough and they always felt a little loose. Putting your opposite arm over the back of your head and pulling your ear up and back really opens up the canal for a good deep fit. It was a Homer Simpson moment for me. :s
This is the way I put my earplugs into my ears but first I "wet" them in my mouth , same as Rossi does !
This way, I consider them Houtman's wet willy moto plugs :)

985f7adf6a9bef81f6984635da3b3efb.jpg


:D:P
 
redbirds_imp said:
I think I've tried most of the popular types and cannot stand wearing any for more than 10 minutes. My hearing is about ruined and at my age I don't worry too much about it. I'd like a helmet with some sealing around the ear.
In general, I sympathize with your attitude, redbirds. But the problem is that your hearing today is probably still quite good - so there is still you might loose. The way hearing problems develop over time, it's the long end that matters. A little more deaf at age 70 goes unnoticed, but translates into totally "isolated" from your environment 10 years on. And even modern hearing aids can only do so much.
In 1000s of interviews by Haward many decades ago, they discovered that the impact on your life by not hearing is substantially more severe than that of blindness. So bear with me and think again.
Cormanus_imp said:
Try this page then, j3gq, https://audienz.at/en/earplugs/.

As to your other point, no, I can’t guess. Maybe you’d care to enlighten me?
Sorry I missed your question for a while. This site is all about people who need advice as to how to choose your music (artistic intentions ? musical advice ?) and how to hear it "again" when you're slowly turning deaf... , please don't ask. That's why I said it's about "hearing more", not less. Cheerio !
Tev62_imp said:
This is a nice article on ear plugs, the effects on your ear, comparisons with a BMW K100 with/without a screen. I drastically lowered the helmet noise on my Tiger by adding a little top lip screen extension ($18 cheapo from Ali-Express). The difference was night and day as it just pushed the airflow up a couple of inches over the helmet. I do find the naked CB quite good though as the airflow is clean.

Best motorcycle earplugs: How to protect your hearing
Good site, thank you.
 
I personally know several men in their late 70's who are essentially completely deaf, even with modern hearing aids.

They are frustrated for sure and eventually it wears down the people around them. They become onerous as if something was taken from them. In any case, it is hard.
 
I use the yellow foam ones cut down just a little, and still hear my pipe and traffic, but wind noise is totally gone. When people you don't want to interact with start a conversation, just say in a loud voice, "I have earplugs in, I can't hear you!"
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I use the yellow foam ones cut down just a little, and still hear my pipe and traffic, but wind noise is totally gone. When people you don't want to interact with start a conversation, just say in a loud voice, "I have earplugs in, I can't hear you!"
I do that even when I'm not wearing earplugs or a helmet. I'm usually able to make my escape before they say "heyyy...wait a minute....."
j3gq_imp said:
redbirds_imp said:
I think I've tried most of the popular types and cannot stand wearing any for more than 10 minutes. My hearing is about ruined and at my age I don't worry too much about it. I'd like a helmet with some sealing around the ear.
In general, I sympathize with your attitude, redbirds. But the problem is that your hearing today is probably still quite good - so there is still you might loose. The way hearing problems develop over time, it's the long end that matters. A little more deaf at age 70 goes unnoticed, but translates into totally "isolated" from your environment 10 years on. And even modern hearing aids can only do so much.
In 1000s of interviews by Haward many decades ago, they discovered that the impact on your life by not hearing is substantially more severe than that of blindness. So bear with me and think again.
Cormanus_imp said:
Try this page then, j3gq, https://audienz.at/en/earplugs/.

As to your other point, no, I can’t guess. Maybe you’d care to enlighten me?
Sorry I missed your question for a while. This site is all about people who need advice as to how to choose your music (artistic intentions ? musical advice ?) and how to hear it "again" when you're slowly turning deaf... , please don't ask. That's why I said it's about "hearing more", not less. Cheerio !
Tev62_imp said:
This is a nice article on ear plugs, the effects on your ear, comparisons with a BMW K100 with/without a screen. I drastically lowered the helmet noise on my Tiger by adding a little top lip screen extension ($18 cheapo from Ali-Express). The difference was night and day as it just pushed the airflow up a couple of inches over the helmet. I do find the naked CB quite good though as the airflow is clean.

Best motorcycle earplugs: How to protect your hearing
Good site, thank you.
Sorry I missed your question for a while. This site is all about people who need advice as to how to choose your music (artistic intentions ? musical advice ?) and how to hear it "again" when you're slowly turning deaf... , please don't ask. That's why I said it's about "hearing more", not less. Cheerio !

Just want to chime in here to say that Cormanus is not losing his mind (yet). When I went to the website he linked when he first posted it, there was a link to "molded earplugs", but now I get a "404 Error" I don't really care because I am neither in Austria nor in need of ear protection, but I'm quite sure that I saw information on that page that would have been relevant, but I can't find it now myself. And Cormanus' suggestion was that you do a Google search yourself to which you made some comment about how Cormanus (and the rest of us) need to "guess" as to why such a suggestion ends the conversation. I was confused by that myself and I don't think you explained that.
 
Mighty kind of you EmptySea. I appreciate the vote of confidence in my sanity. I'm sure, when I first looked at the site, it was offering earplugs for professional musicians.

I remain interested in why a person from one country should be able to direct a person from another to a place where the second mentioned person can buy moulded earplugs.
 
Languages- first, second, and third- seem to be the main problem here. Let's all be patient with one another and assume we all have each other's best interest at heart. (Insert hug and heart emojis here)
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Languages- first, second, and third- seem to be the main problem here. Let's all be patient with one another and assume we all have each other's best interest at heart. (Insert hug and heart emojis here)
¿Què?
 
Have you ever seen Fawlty Towers, EmptySea?
 
I quit wearing earplugs some time ago, not sure why, just didn't bother with them anymore, but then, I wasn't doing long rides, no touring, so I quit. Then, a few months ago, I picked up up a 2003 DL1000, got it cheap cause it had 50k miles on it, but it ran great, a tad rattley and clanky, but tolerable. Then my left ear began to bother me, I was always asking people to speak up, had to turn the TV up loud, music louder, wife complaining, pain in the ear getting worse. Went to the doc, "You have a lot of wax in your ear, we'll flush it out." They stick a supersoaker into my ear, pump large quantities of warm water in there, and out comes this clump of nasty-looking gunk, the wax plug. Felt better. I get on my DL to ride home, and holy cow, this bike rattles and hums like a cement mixer! I think I'll go back to using foam plugs!
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I quit wearing earplugs some time ago, not sure why, just didn't bother with them anymore, but then, I wasn't doing long rides, no touring, so I quit. Then, a few months ago, I picked up up a 2003 DL1000, got it cheap cause it had 50k miles on it, but it ran great, a tad rattley and clanky, but tolerable. Then my left ear began to bother me, I was always asking people to speak up, had to turn the TV up loud, music louder, wife complaining, pain in the ear getting worse. Went to the doc, "You have a lot of wax in your ear, we'll flush it out." They stick a supersoaker into my ear, pump large quantities of warm water in there, and out comes this clump of nasty-looking gunk, the wax plug. Felt better. I get on my DL to ride home, and holy cow, this bike rattles and hums like a cement mixer! I think I'll go back to using foam plugs!
So you were wearing plugs!
 
Back
Top