Best Earplugs?

I'm on my second set of QC30s in six years.

Got the first set replaced my insurance on Amazon (price of insurance has gone up dramatically)

I wore mine to Canadian Rockies last year....rained 14/17 days, 5000 miles, 40-100 degrees up to 450mi/day ..no problems.

I am glad I have a modular helmet I can spread a little to get over them without disturbing them.

I'm surprised how quickly they charge and how well they hold their charge over days (when not in use)

Now they're doing double duty for me to communicate with my virtual students online everyday. LOL

This morning I had to scramble to school to get them before the group ride. Won't ride without them
 
I've tried many styles. There is a wax type you roll up and squish in your ear - meh. Fiddly to use but don't irritate like foam plugs do.

Decibullz from Amazon are interesting. You boil the "foam" part, stuff it in your ear and mold it to shape. The rubber cup insert seals the canal. I can wear these for much longer than foamies.
https://www.amazon.com/Decibullz-Earplug...919&sr=8-2

They make several versions (I think they just vary the core) for different applications (Shooting, riding etc.) Research it.

Finally; This silicone molded one is the one I prefer. But if you squish it too much when forming the bit that goes into the canal gets too long and it can push any wax build up further into the canal causing all sorts of problems. Ask me how I know! :D But it turns out, in practice, you don't need much going into the canal, but you do want to fill up ear cavity.
[url=https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-R-Custom-Molded-Earplugs/dp/B002XULPSQ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=moldable+ear+plugs&qid=1603576236&sr=8-4]https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-R-...236&sr=8-4

I've been tempted to mold a string into those since I lost my left ear insert on my first set (they are wonderful bouncers, and like a 10mm socket will search out some black hole never to be seen again!); but luckily they are inexpensive to replace. Two "major" problems when cooking them up for your ear. It's easy to mess up dividing the lump into two piles exactly half and half. sigh. And then if you over work it it's easy to make the ear canal plug too long (you can trim it).
 
Rboe_imp said:
I've tried many styles. There is a wax type you roll up and squish in your ear - meh. Fiddly to use but don't irritate like foam plugs do.

Decibullz from Amazon are interesting. You boil the "foam" part, stuff it in your ear and mold it to shape. The rubber cup insert seals the canal. I can wear these for much longer than foamies.
https://www.amazon.com/Decibullz-Earplug...919&sr=8-2

They make several versions (I think they just vary the core) for different applications (Shooting, riding etc.) Research it.

Finally; This silicone molded one is the one I prefer. But if you squish it too much when forming the bit that goes into the canal gets too long and it can push any wax build up further into the canal causing all sorts of problems. Ask me how I know! :D But it turns out, in practice, you don't need much going into the canal, but you do want to fill up ear cavity.
[url=https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-R-Custom-Molded-Earplugs/dp/B002XULPSQ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=moldable+ear+plugs&qid=1603576236&sr=8-4]https://www.amazon.com/Radians-CEP001-R-...236&sr=8-4

I've been tempted to mold a string into those since I lost my left ear insert on my first set (they are wonderful bouncers, and like a 10mm socket will search out some black hole never to be seen again!); but luckily they are inexpensive to replace. Two "major" problems when cooking them up for your ear. It's easy to mess up dividing the lump into two piles exactly half and half. sigh. And then if you over work it it's easy to make the ear canal plug too long (you can trim it).

Interesting Rboe - thx!
 
I use No Noise or Lee Parks. I always carry a pair of needle nose pliers when I can't remove them with my fingers.
 
I may have mentioned these in another thread about earbuds, but if you like to listen to GPS or music while you ride, I really like these:
https://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Bluetooth-Microphone-Hands-Free-Rechargeable/dp/B06XX123SH

-They are very cheap, but the sound quality is impressive even in a loud helmet at speed.
-They are very low-profile, so they don't get pushed out of your ears when you put your helmet on over them, and the helmet won't push them uncomfortably further into
your ears.
-The push button falls just below the helmet, allowing for an easy tap to start or stop them when you want to kill them quickly to hear background sounds better, to have a
conversation, or, in my case, to kill the "Kars 4 Kids" commercials before the second drumbeat.
 
Gone how much noise do they block when you’re not listening to something?
 
They don't do a bad job - they are not noise cancelling by any means, but they come with the typical range of rubber dealies so you can fit them to your ear tightly. I've worn them plenty of times just as earplugs, with nothing playing, and they are definitely better than nothing.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
They don't do a bad job - they are not noise cancelling by any means, but they come with the typical range of rubber dealies so you can fit them to your ear tightly. I've worn them plenty of times just as earplugs, with nothing playing, and they are definitely better than nothing.
I believe they work well Gin60.

For riders, it may just boil down to ear canal fit inside the helmet. Otherwise, (+1).
 
I have weird ears, ridiculously large but shallow, everything falls out of them, headphones too. There is only one type of ear plugs that ever managed to stay inside, attached down. They are the foam pieces from the Etymotic Research kit.
Interestingly enough I lost one (and then the other) and waiting for the new ones to arrive
d609f65c020cccf6e5ff6b9c816fbe20.jpg


'14 CB1100 STD 5 speed
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I’ve had good success with custom-molded silicon ear plugs, about $60. They’re reusable, cleanable, and will last for years. Oh, and they fit perfectly and are not uncomfortable.
From which source would one be able to order custom-molded ear plugs ?
 
You make me laugh (and cry a little). Ever since the emergence of the Internet conversations between people I know and little me end sooner or later by the other party saying "you can find this on ... the internet". This pretty much ends the conversation (I let you guess why).
Now the link you provided is even more interesting. Did you realize that this link is for people who hear no more, rather than people who hear too much (noise) ?
 
This is a nice article on ear plugs, the effects on your ear, comparisons with a BMW K100 with/without a screen. I drastically lowered the helmet noise on my Tiger by adding a little top lip screen extension ($18 cheapo from Ali-Express). The difference was night and day as it just pushed the airflow up a couple of inches over the helmet. I do find the naked CB quite good though as the airflow is clean.

Best motorcycle earplugs: How to protect your hearing
 
Houtman_imp said:
Tev62 , I always use the disposable foam earplugs but thank you for the link , good reading.
I do too, I find them the easiest to use. Mind you I had been putting them in incorrectly for years until someone pointed out a better way of fitting them. I was never putting them in deep enough and they always felt a little loose. Putting your opposite arm over the back of your head and pulling your ear up and back really opens up the canal for a good deep fit. It was a Homer Simpson moment for me. :s
 
I think I've tried most of the popular types and cannot stand wearing any for more than 10 minutes. My hearing is about ruined and at my age I don't worry too much about it. I'd like a helmet with some sealing around the ear.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
For the average motorcycle, I find it hard to not wear any half-decent ear plugs for freeway-based riding - no matter the helmet.
+1, never go for a ride without'em
 
Back
Top