Best Earplugs?

Charlie Bravo_imp said:
When I had the HJC Modular helmet I wore the yellow foam ones all the time, just roll it up and in it goes, then it expands to fill the space. (I know what you're thinking), but now I'm back to the full-face, I never wear plugs anymore, and rarely listen to music when I ride, the volume has to be up so high at any speed over 50 that at lower speeds it is deafening. Don't have handlebar controls and can't use that little adjuster in the wire with gloves on.
That has to tell you something about the level of background noise you’re experiencing.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
When I had the HJC Modular helmet I wore the yellow foam ones all the time, just roll it up and in it goes, then it expands to fill the space. (I know what you're thinking), but now I'm back to the full-face, I never wear plugs anymore, and rarely listen to music when I ride, the volume has to be up so high at any speed over 50 that at lower speeds it is deafening. Don't have handlebar controls and can't use that little adjuster in the wire with gloves on.
That has to tell you something about the level of background noise you’re experiencing.
That has to tell you something about the level of background noise you’re experiencing.
I look in the background but I don't see anything back there.
 
The ferret_imp said:
On today's ride I wore my gel plugs again. They actually work pretty well. Maybe too well. I blew my horn going past a buddy's house and couldn't hear the horn lol.
Maybe your horn is broken!
 
I wear some Eargasm ear plugs and they seem to do a good job of blocking noise from the wind at high speeds, but still let me hear things around me when I'm poking along through town.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I hate to sound like a cracked record—I guess that should be a corrupt mp3 in today's parlance—but, if you don't wear hearing protection, you'll damage your hearing very, very quickly. See this piece, https://www.hear-it.org/motorcycles-haza...0116 dB

Like offroad, I use Bose QC20i bluetooth headphones are my choice. They provide great hearing protection as well as allowing me to listen to a GPS when needed and even listen to a tune or two without having to turn it up so loud I risk further hearing damage.
Bose is a good brand. Could you please let me know ...
- how comfortable is wearing them after 2-3hours ?
- in any outside temps ?
- can they be used stand-alone, without music player or other connected ?
- and (yes, I am serious) do they work in a long tunnel with trucks (opposing traffic) ?
- would you know (that's hard) if they work well with small and large ears ?

Thanks !!!
For whatever it may be worth ...
A local newspaper has tested plugs for motorcycles, and came up with only 3 very good products among 10 to 12. The following has had the best performance/price ratio, and is available in the US too.

https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Dreamgirl-S...100&sr=8-5

Don't get confused by the product name. It's not a mistake.
 
j3gq, I regularly wear my Bose earphones all day—7 to 8 hours—and find them comfortable enough. More comfortable than ordinary plugs.

-I've worn them in very hot conditions (~40ºC) and quite cold conditions (<10ºC) and they're fine.

-They can be used stand alone.

-I don't have experience of tunnels and large opposing traffic. I did have a set (since replaced) that, maybe didn't fit so well, and squealed in certain wind conditions and occasionally when air pressure changed as a result of a large truck passing.

-They come with three sizes of tip for large, medium and small ears.

The QC30 model looks attractive as there is a whole lot less wire involved, but the battery life is less (10 rather than 16 hours) and they can connect only via bluetooth meaning you can't use them in aeroplanes or other circumstances where you need a plug.

The QC20 is wired and either has to be plugged into a phone or GPS or controlled through a bluetooth dongle of some sort. They can be integrated with motorcycle specific communication devices that have a 3.5mm output plug. Irritatingly, the battery pack is very close to the 3.5mm plug which means you need to find a way to keep it connected and dry if you want to use it in wet conditions. An extension cord is one way around that.
 
j3gq_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
I hate to sound like a cracked record—I guess that should be a corrupt mp3 in today's parlance—but, if you don't wear hearing protection, you'll damage your hearing very, very quickly. See this piece, https://www.hear-it.org/motorcycles-haza...0116 dB

Like offroad, I use Bose QC20i bluetooth headphones are my choice. They provide great hearing protection as well as allowing me to listen to a GPS when needed and even listen to a tune or two without having to turn it up so loud I risk further hearing damage.
Bose is a good brand. Could you please let me know ...
- how comfortable is wearing them after 2-3hours ?
- in any outside temps ?
- can they be used stand-alone, without music player or other connected ?
- and (yes, I am serious) do they work in a long tunnel with trucks (opposing traffic) ?
- would you know (that's hard) if they work well with small and large ears ?

Thanks !!!
For whatever it may be worth ...
A local newspaper has tested plugs for motorcycles, and came up with only 3 very good products among 10 to 12. The following has had the best performance/price ratio, and is available in the US too.

https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Dreamgirl-S...100&sr=8-5

Don't get confused by the product name. It's not a mistake.

Bose is a good brand. Could you please let me know ...
- how comfortable is wearing them after 2-3hours ?
- in any outside temps ?
- can they be used stand-alone, without music player or other connected ?
- and (yes, I am serious) do they work in a long tunnel with trucks (opposing traffic) ?
- would you know (that's hard) if they work well with small and large ears ?

Thanks !!!
For whatever it may be worth ...
A local newspaper has tested plugs for motorcycles, and came up with only 3 very good products among 10 to 12. The following has had the best performance/price ratio, and is available in the US too.

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Dreamgirl-Soft-Earplugs-Travel/dp/B00MHPN5OO/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mack%27s+soft+foam&qid=1602886100&sr=8-5]https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Dreamgirl-S...100&sr=8-5

Don't get confused by the product name. It's not a mistake. I will not wear pink earplugs at a Rolling Stones Concert !
 
I reckon Mick & Keith would be impressed if you did ... "Mate, dija see that Rick Wakeman look-alike in front row wearing pink earplugs?"
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I reckon Mick & Keith would be impressed if you did ... "Mate, dija see that Rick Wakeman look-alike in front row wearing pink earplugs?"
Pink earplugs are too much in the open , at least no one see's my pink boxer shorts....
 
j3gq_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
I hate to sound like a cracked record—I guess that should be a corrupt mp3 in today's parlance—but, if you don't wear hearing protection, you'll damage your hearing very, very quickly. See this piece, https://www.hear-it.org/motorcycles-haza...0116 dB

Like offroad, I use Bose QC20i bluetooth headphones are my choice. They provide great hearing protection as well as allowing me to listen to a GPS when needed and even listen to a tune or two without having to turn it up so loud I risk further hearing damage.
Bose is a good brand. Could you please let me know ...
- how comfortable is wearing them after 2-3hours ?
- in any outside temps ?
- can they be used stand-alone, without music player or other connected ?
- and (yes, I am serious) do they work in a long tunnel with trucks (opposing traffic) ?
- would you know (that's hard) if they work well with small and large ears ?

Thanks !!!
For whatever it may be worth ...
A local newspaper has tested plugs for motorcycles, and came up with only 3 very good products among 10 to 12. The following has had the best performance/price ratio, and is available in the US too.

https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Dreamgirl-S...100&sr=8-5

Don't get confused by the product name. It's not a mistake.

Bose is a good brand. Could you please let me know ...
- how comfortable is wearing them after 2-3hours ?
- in any outside temps ?
- can they be used stand-alone, without music player or other connected ?
- and (yes, I am serious) do they work in a long tunnel with trucks (opposing traffic) ?
- would you know (that's hard) if they work well with small and large ears ?

Thanks !!!
For whatever it may be worth ...
A local newspaper has tested plugs for motorcycles, and came up with only 3 very good products among 10 to 12. The following has had the best performance/price ratio, and is available in the US too.

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Dreamgirl-Soft-Earplugs-Travel/dp/B00MHPN5OO/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=mack%27s+soft+foam&qid=1602886100&sr=8-5]https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Dreamgirl-S...100&sr=8-5

Don't get confused by the product name. It's not a mistake.

Rode from Chicago to Pittsburgh (600 miles/13 hours) and from Willamsport, PA to Chicago (700 miles/14 hours) with the wired (QC20) Bose earbuds. My Cardo PackTalk battery died before the earbuds and I had no discomfort at all. Cormanus’ post is more detailed, but I wanted to chime in with my opinion that they work great and stay charged on very long rides.
 
These are legacy passive isolation. I cannot recall the brand (they were brand name), but a symbol is on the unit (below). Altec Lansing? Maybe some sub-brand of Logitech? In any case, they have always sounded "full" and clear. Most importantly, they are not bulky with a full-size helmet siding on and off the head, and that is probably one of the most important attributes. The important attribute is - for my ear shape anyway - they consistently dampen the road/wind noise. So far they work very well with the Cardo Freedom system. For my ears anyway, they are comfortable for hours on end.

I am sure earphones like these can be had readily and cheaply these days.

 
Back
Top