Best Earplugs?

motoWest_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
When going out for longer rides, I wear Mack's Ultrasoft ear plugs. I have found that hearing protection greatly reduces my overall riding fatigue at higher speeds. That being said, there are two things I dislike:

1) I can hardly hear traffic (important at lower speeds when riding in town)
2) They get very uncomfortable after about ~75 minutes of riding

Has anyone had sustained success with a more expensive option? If there are plugs out there that allow more sound (while still protecting against some wind noise) and are more comfortable, I'm all ears (pun very much intended).
 
good pun! lol

Even though I should, I find ear plugs such a hassle that I don't bother wearing them. Tried the foam that look like barrels, tried the foam that are tapered, tried the foam that look like little rockets, tried the foam on a string, tried the rubber ones that look like, I don't know, tapered with a bunch of rings around them, They either won't stay in or one quiets better than the other or they hurt my ears after a short while.

Guess shooting guns from 6 years old, racing 2 stroke motocross for a decade, riding 54 years on street bikes, and listening to rock and roll as a late teenager have destroyed my hearing (tinnitus is pretty loud and constant) but I just can't get used to wearing ear plugs. Same with ear buds on the ipad trying to watch a movie, or my ear muffs that are blue toothed to my TV so I can hear the TV without driving my wife out of the room with volume. They all physically hurt my ears.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
good pun! lol

Even though I should, I find ear plugs such a hassle that I don't bother wearing them. Tried the foam that look like barrels, tried the foam that are tapered, tried the foam that look like little rockets, tried the foam on a string, tried the rubber ones that look like, I don't know, tapered with a bunch of rings around them, They either won't stay in or one quiets better than the other or they hurt my ears after a short while.

Guess shooting guns from 6 years old, racing 2 stroke motocross for a decade, riding 54 years on street bikes, and listening to rock and roll as a late teenager have destroyed my hearing (tinnitus is pretty loud and constant) but I just can't get used to wearing ear plugs. Same with ear buds on the ipad trying to watch a movie, or my ear muffs that are blue toothed to my TV so I can hear the TV without driving my wife out of the room with volume. They all physically hurt my ears.
Yeah, I was hoping my new Shoei would do the trick, but the wind noise is still pretty loud once I get about ~60mph.
 
I ALWAYS wear the Moldex Pura -Fit disposable foam ear plugs NR 33. Buy a box of 200 pairs and very comfortable to use , Made in USA .
You only have one set of ears and you want to safe your hearing . I have a good Aria helmet but the ear plugs will greatly reduce wind noise .
 
oh I forgot..for a while I was wearing the gel swimmers ear things you ball up then squish in your ear. They were pretty good. Can't remember why I quit wearing them??????
 
I use cheap foam earplugs that I cut down to size. It takes some experimenting, but you can tune the earplugs. I have small ear canals, so trimming helps the comfort factor too.

I want to hear my aftermarket pipe, makes shifting much smoother. Wind noise is still reduced significantly.
 
I’ve had good success with custom-molded silicon ear plugs, about $60. They’re reusable, cleanable, and will last for years. Oh, and they fit perfectly and are not uncomfortable.
 
I've used Flents Quiet Contour (NRR 33) for years. Used them riding in the cargo holds of C-130s, with exterior ear protection at the firing range, mowing the lawn, going to rock concerts, and riding motorcycles. I put them in like Django's video shows. I'm in my mid 50's and my hearing is still really good for my age, at least according to my annual V.A. health checkup. Eyes...not so much. I need a stronger prescription every couple of years.
 
I use Workhorse Multi Flange Design, Corded Ear Plug, model # SHREPCCHDQ, SKU # 1001104524 from Home Depot.
Cannot even hear my CB's horns at all.
Perfect solution for me for C$5.00/pair
 
They are not cheap but I've used bose quiet comfort 30 with electronic noise canceling for 6 years...won't ride without them.
Don't use the Bluetooth most of the time just the noise canceling.
They come with different size pads...Make sure you use the ones that fits your ears.
 
Back in the early '80s, my friend and I went to the Cycle World motorcycle show, where they were selling custom silicone earplugs, made on the spot. My rather frugal friend reasoned that, as they were silicone, he could make his own.

Fortunately, he only filled one ear with GE silicone sealant before he realized he had better see how it turned out first. His girlfriend ended up picking pieces out with a pair of tweezers. Painfully. Don't try this at home. Or anywhere.
 
I hate to sound like a cracked record—I guess that should be a corrupt mp3 in today's parlance—but, if you don't wear hearing protection, you'll damage your hearing very, very quickly. See this piece, https://www.hear-it.org/motorcycles-haza...0116 dB

Like offroad, I use Bose QC20i bluetooth headphones are my choice. They provide great hearing protection as well as allowing me to listen to a GPS when needed and even listen to a tune or two without having to turn it up so loud I risk further hearing damage.
 
Our friend, Ryan, on the question of the best ear plugs,



and on ear buds v. speakers,

 
I use the No-Noise ones seen in the first video Cormanus posted.
They let in the sounds I want to hear and greatly lessen the noises I don't want to hear. I can carry on a conversation with another rider at an intersection but after hours riding I don't have a headache. I can hear my Sema bluetooth communication as well.
Bottom line is that I don't notice them until I take them out.
One problem I had with them is that if you dropped one of the clear silicone ones, it would bounce around and often disappear forever. Really annoying. But they now make them in day-glow orange and I haven't lost one since.
I will note, too, that they don't cost $40. I pay $28 or so at Revzilla and that is about standard. I suppose he meant Canadian dollars since he is in Canada :thumbsup:.
 
When I had the HJC Modular helmet I wore the yellow foam ones all the time, just roll it up and in it goes, then it expands to fill the space. (I know what you're thinking), but now I'm back to the full-face, I never wear plugs anymore, and rarely listen to music when I ride, the volume has to be up so high at any speed over 50 that at lower speeds it is deafening. Don't have handlebar controls and can't use that little adjuster in the wire with gloves on.
 
On today's ride I wore my gel plugs again. They actually work pretty well. Maybe too well. I blew my horn going past a buddy's house and couldn't hear the horn lol.
 
Back
Top