Best Bluetooth Earbuds for Riding

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Hi all,

If you've ever looked for the perfect Bluetooth earbuds for under-helmet, I have found nirvana.

I like to listen to the news on an app on the way to work in the morning, and use Waze or Google Maps to navigate if I'm going someplace unfamiliar. I like to use Bluetooth earbuds, but have never found a pair that didn't dig into my ear, and hate fumbling for my phone in my pocket if I need to communicate with someone.

Just found these, and they're perfect. And cheap, too, since I think they've been discontinued. I picked up a spare when I found this out.

Skullcandy JIB earbuds: https://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Bluetooth-Microphone-Hands-Free-Rechargeable/dp/B06XX123SH

The earbuds themselves are very small and thin, and don't pull out when you put your helmet on, and don't dig into your ears while riding. Also, just below the right earbud, there's a small mute button on the wire that, if pushed back a bit after you put your helmet on, sits just below the bottom edge of the helmet behind the chin strap. You can easily tap it with the helmet on to mute the sound.

Just wanted to share, in case anyone is looking for the perfect buds.
 
I swear I don't know how anybody can listen to anything with words or music while concentrating on riding a motorcycle. When my wife rides with me we run an intercom and I miss half of what she is saying depending on the situation unfolding in front of me. Listening to the news, or music for that matter would be impossible for me lol.
 
Thread starter
The mute button comes in handy for those damnable singing "1 877 Kars for Kids" commercials.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I swear I don't know how anybody can listen to anything with words or music while concentrating on riding a motorcycle. When my wife rides with me we run an intercom and I miss half of what she is saying depending on the situation unfolding in front of me. Listening to the news, or music for that matter would be impossible for me lol.
lol - I wear ear protection for rides 80 km/h and higher.
 
Thread starter
I always wear ear protection of some kind... I'm half-blind, bald and fat. At least I have good teeth and hearing, and I'm going to try to protect those as best I can.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I swear I don't know how anybody can listen to anything with words or music while concentrating on riding a motorcycle. When my wife rides with me we run an intercom and I miss half of what she is saying depending on the situation unfolding in front of me. Listening to the news, or music for that matter would be impossible for me lol.
We have much in common. Driving a car, I frequently have to ask my wife to backup one sentence.

When we rode 2 up, we did NOT have an intercom.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I always wear ear protection of some kind... I'm half-blind, bald and fat. At least I have good teeth and hearing, and I'm going to try to protect those as best I can.
:rofl:
 
Thread starter
I have to do the same thing, Sportster. But I just wait until she is finished and then ask her to say the same thing, but in one sentence.
 
Thread starter
By the way, for added enjoyment while using your phone for navigation while riding, may I suggest the Cookie Monster voice on Waze.
 
Whatever. I ordered a pair to give them a try. Supposed to be here Friday.
 
Or against driving with an augmented car stereo cranked so loud the vehicle shakes.
Gone in 60, how much hearing protection do they provide?
 
Thread starter
I always keep a pair of soft ear plugs in my pocket, but sometimes use these earbuds turned off just for ear plugs. They're decent - not as good like a squishy plug-in-your-ear, but better than no protection. Like most earbuds, they have the different sized round thingees that go in your ear, so you can size them to your ears to plug them up decently.

Sometimes I have to run errands at work to offices I've never been to, so they're handy to have to put the address in my phone, put the buds in my ears, and get navigation on the way.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
I always keep a pair of soft ear plugs in my pocket, but sometimes use these earbuds turned off just for ear plugs. They're decent - not as good like a squishy plug-in-your-ear, but better than no protection. Like most earbuds, they have the different sized round thingees that go in your ear, so you can size them to your ears to plug them up decently.

Sometimes I have to run errands at work to offices I've never been to, so they're handy to have to put the address in my phone, put the buds in my ears, and get navigation on the way.
That could be handy
 
The ferret_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
I always keep a pair of soft ear plugs in my pocket, but sometimes use these earbuds turned off just for ear plugs. They're decent - not as good like a squishy plug-in-your-ear, but better than no protection. Like most earbuds, they have the different sized round thingees that go in your ear, so you can size them to your ears to plug them up decently.

Sometimes I have to run errands at work to offices I've never been to, so they're handy to have to put the address in my phone, put the buds in my ears, and get navigation on the way.
That could be handy
That could be handy
Certainly useful for urban navigation where wind noise is minimal.

Food delivery on two wheels hands free navigation makes sense.

- - -

Bah. No sale price on Canadian Amazon site.
 
Thanks Gi6.

[Play_Cracked_Record]
I can't speak highly enough of the Bose noise cancelling ear buds. Although the ones I have QC20) are wired, with the addition of an inexpensive dongle, they work well over a bluetooth connection. They provide both excellent hearing protection and the ability to listen to things like GPS instructions. The down sides? They're not cheap and eventually the battery wears out which requires replacing the whole unit. Still, for me, that was 4 or 5 years of sustained usage and I've no complaints.
[/Play_Cracked_Record]
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks Gi6.

[Play_Cracked_Record]
I can't speak highly enough of the Bose noise cancelling ear buds. Although the ones I have QC20) are wired, with the addition of an inexpensive dongle, they work well over a bluetooth connection. They provide both excellent hearing protection and the ability to listen to things like GPS instructions. The down sides? They're not cheap and eventually the battery wears out which requires replacing the whole unit. Still, for me, that was 4 or 5 years of sustained usage and I've no complaints.
[/Play_Cracked_Record]
Useful feedback when considering playback buds over passive ear protection.
 
Thread starter
Unfortunately, I must have weird shaped ears. I have a pair of Bose earbuds, but can't get them to stay in my ears. Ditto for the iPhone white plastic type. I can only seem to use the ones that have a normal, rubber round thing to stick in my ear. Cookie Monster gave me some useful advice on the way in this morning, and routed me around what must have been a spectacular wreck. I didn't see it due to my re-route, but the geyser visible in the distance leads me to believe that someone sheared off a fire hydrant.
 
Back
Top