Bell RS-1

linuxology_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Bought a Bell RS-1 and measure to be a small size. HJC CS-R2 Small fits me fine, but in the Bell RS-1 it seems like it has slight temple pressure. It is not insane pressure and I have worn the helmet for 10 minutes with no pain. The other fit is fine, but unsure if that will go away. Unsure if I need to get a medium or switch to a different brand. Hard to take the helmet off as it is tight in the bottom as well. Figured I would check in here first.
 
I have that helmet too. Love it. Zero pressure at the temples and it doesn't feel any tighter than it should along the bottom. It's definitely not too difficult to get off. It sounds like you should try a medium. Of course, the helmet should be snug. But not uncomfortable. Good luck.
 
linuxology_imp said:
Bought a Bell RS-1 and measure to be a small size. HJC CS-R2 Small fits me fine, but in the Bell RS-1 it seems like it has slight temple pressure. It is not insane pressure and I have worn the helmet for 10 minutes with no pain. The other fit is fine, but unsure if that will go away. Unsure if I need to get a medium or switch to a different brand. Hard to take the helmet off as it is tight in the bottom as well. Figured I would check in here first.
You can try a different liner since the Bell helmets (in my experience) liners can be changed out to different sizes. In my 3/4 Bell I felt the cheek pieces were a little loose but everything else was fine so I just ordered new cheek pieces a size bigger
 
After trying on four different brands while buying mine last week, I learned each brand can fit different heads diferently. I liked the look of the bell but it clearly put pressure on my head that another did not in the same size. I suppose because the shape is different between helment brands and even lines within brands. That temple pressure is noticed now before you even wore it 10 minutes so I imagine what it will be like after several hours. I also leaned the full face is more difficult to get on and off than a modular I suppose because the bottom of my helmet is more flexible when I raise the shield before putting them on oroff. I was first settled on a full face for safety but realized that the modular was so much more comfortable that it was worth whatever risk, if any, I might take with it over the full face helmet, after all, I am riding for enjoyment and anything that detracts from that is not on the program, for me.
 
Thread starter
I have just experienced different helmet shape that does not fit my head. I put it on for 45 minutes and it is just not for me unfortunately. I really wanted to like it, but the most important thing was not right, which is the fit. Night rider what helmet did you settle on?
 
You're going to have to try on a few lids before you find one that is right for you, I think. NightRider gave good advice about wearing it for a bit before buying. Personally, I was able to find a good fit with a full face helmet and I think among people can do the same, so the convenience of the flip-up should be your reason for going with one unless you just can't find a full face helmet that fits your noggin.

Some helmets are designed for round shaped heads, some for oval. You can usually spot which ones are which if you look close, but the key is to try them on and get one that fits...tight enough that it won't twist, but loose enough for you to chew gum, and with even (non-painful) pressure around your skull. However, you shouldn't worry too much if you feel a little more pressure in one area or another just so long as it isn't painful.

Not sure you were asking for help with this, but it seemed like you were. I hope you find the perfect hemet for you (not for me or for anyone else) soon :)
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
You're going to have to try on a few lids before you find one that is right for you, I think. NightRider gave good advice about wearing it for a bit before buying. Personally, I was able to find a good fit with a full face helmet and I think among people can do the same, so the convenience of the flip-up should be your reason for going with one unless you just can't find a full face helmet that fits your noggin.

Some helmets are designed for round shaped heads, some for oval. You can usually spot which ones are which if you look close, but the key is to try them on and get one that fits...tight enough that it won't twist, but loose enough for you to chew gum, and with even (non-painful) pressure around your skull. However, you shouldn't worry too much if you feel a little more pressure in one area or another just so long as it isn't painful.

Not sure you were asking for help with this, but it seemed like you were. I hope you find the perfect hemet for you (not for me or for anyone else) soon :)
i Was asking for advice, but others helped me out. Unfortunately wearing it for 45 minutes created hotspots and pressure on the sides of my head. I would find it to be uncomfortable on a two hour ride.
 
Yup, you should have good luck and fun finding a helmet. It was a pleasureable experience for me and I'm sure for you too as there are so many to choose from! I think they are all safe myself so when I focus on fit and comfort and then on do-dads so the shield does not cut my nose off and it has a place to put a bluetooth thingie and it has a good built-in sun and glare shield that I can use with gloves and it has vents and will stay cool even in the sun (think white or yellow or silver) and is in my budget, then I am happy.

Much better nowadays with such a big selection with even budget helmets being very protective with normal issues and comfortable to boot.

Heat was a concern of mine. I live in the South. I can see a black helmet cooking me in traffic. The saleslady tried to talk me out of that view, she said independent tests showed that black helmets were just a cool as white in the sun because of the insulation in the helmet itself. However, it turned out the tests were done with unworn helmets and a thermometer in the empty helment, without a 98+ degree sweaty rider head inside adding to the heat on the other side of that insulation so I guessed such testing is unrealistic and I went with white for that reason and for visibility, safety.
 
When new, I like my helmet to fit as tight as possible without any pain/pressure points so finding the right helmet shape is key. Over time, the padding will break in a bit and the tightness will ease up. Actual pressure points are a different story - that pain is only amplified with time.
 
I don't know the model numbers, but HJC does make some good helmets in that price range. I think you can even find some HJC RPHA line helmets at the high end of that range, but I'm not sure. My wife just got an RPHA 10 helmet, but she won it in a raffle, so I dp don't recall the price. I have also read some really good reviews of 2015 Icon and Scorpion full face helmets and they should fall in that price range. Wish I had more information for you. Happy hunting. :)
 
Good idea, Gossman. Seems to me that even if the liner doesn't work, you could sell it and the helmet as a set to recoup some of the cost. Definitely cheaper than another helmet.
 
Thread starter
Actually there is no other size that to my knowledge that I can move to as the shell size is the largest size before moving to a medium/large. The pressure is actually coming from the foam behind the liner as the liner is very thin. I have shipped the product back for return. No issues. I will continue my search.
 
I'm almost certain the RS-1 has what is called an "intermediate-oval" shape, which means it is slightly narrower on the sides and slightly longer front to back. You may want to do an online search for helmets with a "round" shape since you experienced pressure at your temples. Good luck!

Here's an article Revzilla put out discussing the various helmet shapes that may help you narrow down your choices: RevZilla
 
linuxology_imp said:
Actually there is no other size that to my knowledge that I can move to as the shell size is the largest size before moving to a medium/large. The pressure is actually coming from the foam behind the liner as the liner is very thin. I have shipped the product back for return. No issues. I will continue my search.
I didn't realize you had the option to send it back for a refund. If that Bell didn't fit, it's unlikely that other Bell helmets will fit. Good luck on your search, might want to try a HJC since they are shaped differently. Bell, Shoei, and Speed and Strength fit me, as much as I would like, I can't get a comfortable fit with HJC.
 
Back
Top