Bell Bullitt Helmet

Well, this thread cost me some money. I was browsing Revzilla last night (always dangerous) and happened to see that they had a slightly blemished (very small scratch on rear of helmet) Bullitt in my size for $115 off list price. The $30 of rewards cash I had made $145 off...so I pulled the trigger.

Anyway, I'll soon be finding out if it fits me. As far as I can tell, the store return policy still holds...and if not, I can probably break even on eBay.
 
Thread starter
pechorin75_imp said:
Well, this thread cost me some money. I was browsing Revzilla last night (always dangerous) and happened to see that they had a slightly blemished (very small scratch on rear of helmet) Bullitt in my size for $115 off list price. The $30 of rewards cash I had made $145 off...so I pulled the trigger.

Anyway, I'll soon be finding out if it fits me. As far as I can tell, the store return policy still holds...and if not, I can probably break even on eBay.
Who says we're not frugal? Haha. Well done. I hope it works out for you! I got my helmet from Revzilla within two days of purchase. Hopefully you get yours just as quickly. Come back and post your impressions.
 
I'm hoping to try this and a few other helmets on for size at the bike show next month. I tend to be more oval-headed, but ya never know until you try.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
I'm hoping to try this and a few other helmets on for size at the bike show next month. I tend to be more oval-headed, but ya never know until you try.
Which bike show is it? At the Progressive International show, I had my head scanned/mapped at the Bell booth but, so far, the technology only applies to their Star helmet (their top end track helmet). The shape of my head is saved in their computer system should I ever decide to order a Star and have the liner custom shaped. I'm hoping someday Bell decides to expand the technology to their entire helmet line.

I've never owned a Shoei but am very intrigued by their GT Air. I think that's what it's called. I better not try one on in case I like it.
 
The Progressive show will be in Chicago in about 2 weeks. Last year, one of the vendors had a variety of helmets, including Bell, available for test fitting. The helmet I really was interested in was the Biltwell Gringo https://www.biltwellinc.com/p357/bu...ull-face/-gringo-helmet-le-scallop-white-red/ , but it doesn't have Snell or ECE ratings and I'm just not going to be comfortable with just the DOT rating.

The GT Air is the other helmet I like. I've tried it on, too, and it fits great. No Snell rating due to the internal sunscreen, but it has ECE.

I have 6 helmets, too. However, 2 of them are obsolete and 3 of them belong to either my wife or my son....so....lucky you. :)
 
It is compulsory to wear a crash helmet in all Australian States. Helmets must comply with Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS1698. IN Queensland (the State I live in) from 1 February 2015 it will also be legal to wear a helmet that complies with ECE 22.05. Good. It increases the range of available helmets.

If, however, I ride 240 or so kilometres south and cross the border into New South Wales wearing a ECE 22.05 approved helmet that does not comply with AS/NZS1698, I will be breaking the law of NSW.

Brilliant.
 
some interesting Bell stuff and possibly how the helmet got it's misspelled name

"The first full face motor racing helmet was developed by Dan Gurney in the 1960s. Gurney first wore the helmet at Indianapolis in 1968, and then became the first driver ever to use a full face helmet in Grand Prix racing, at the 1968 German Grand Prix.

Dan experimented with various helmet versions in his early racing days.... as early as 1958 when he built a leather mask to cover his face.

The mask was designed after he was “repeatedly hit by small stones bouncing off the surface of the track” that came at you like “bullets”. He tested the mask at some open wheel races in 1962 but wasn’t comfortable until it was later refined.

During the years that followed, he worked with Bell Helmets in California where he helped to develop the first full face helmet. He had seen motorcycle racers wear similar ones at Ascot Raceway in California. Dan wore the first full face helmet at Indianapolis in 1968 and then also introduced it to Formula I racing at the British and German Grand Prix in 1968. He was at first a bit ridiculed but within months other drivers adopted the full face helmet and now we cannot imagine how they ever raced without them."

The original Bell Star (the one Gurney wore) had a very small eyeport... When I started in the MC business in 1970, Bell Star helmets were like this, and many riders complained about a lack of peripheral vision. I would think this would be like riding in a cave after wearing a modern FF helmet. But... they have brought it back called the "Classic".

Own a Racing Icon: Bell Star Classic Helmet - Bell Racing US
 
The ferret_imp said:
some interesting Bell stuff and possibly how the helmet got it's misspelled name

"The first full face motor racing helmet was developed by Dan Gurney in the 1960s. Gurney first wore the helmet at Indianapolis in 1968, and then became the first driver ever to use a full face helmet in Grand Prix racing, at the 1968 German Grand Prix.

Dan experimented with various helmet versions in his early racing days.... as early as 1958 when he built a leather mask to cover his face.

The mask was designed after he was “repeatedly hit by small stones bouncing off the surface of the track” that came at you like “bullets”. He tested the mask at some open wheel races in 1962 but wasn’t comfortable until it was later refined.

During the years that followed, he worked with Bell Helmets in California where he helped to develop the first full face helmet. He had seen motorcycle racers wear similar ones at Ascot Raceway in California. Dan wore the first full face helmet at Indianapolis in 1968 and then also introduced it to Formula I racing at the British and German Grand Prix in 1968. He was at first a bit ridiculed but within months other drivers adopted the full face helmet and now we cannot imagine how they ever raced without them."

The original Bell Star (the one Gurney wore) had a very small eyeport... When I started in the MC business in 1970, Bell Star helmets were like this, and many riders complained about a lack of peripheral vision. I would think this would be like riding in a cave after wearing a modern FF helmet. But... they have brought it back called the "Classic".

Own a Racing Icon: Bell Star Classic Helmet - Bell Racing US
...and priced it double or more. :rolleyes:
 
If I remember correctly the original Bell Star helmets were $70 or $80 bucks. Remember this was at a time when you could actually buy a new open face helmet for $10 (I gave one away with every motorcycle sale.. I still remember the mountain of helmet boxes full of putrid blue helmets we gave away or sold for $10 each) and Bell came out with the Ad " If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet".
 
Thread starter
I figured the name "Bullitt" was in tribute to Steve McQueen and the movie by the same name. McQueen obviously being a big motorcyclist and having worn a number of Bell helmets.

Interesting history! And the Classic looks pretty cool. I'm glad he went away from the leather mask on his face. I've tried that once and it wasn't well received by passing motorists, pedestrians or the police.

 
I suppose it could be a McQueen reference. At least then it would be spelled right. He drove a fastback Mustang in Bullitt didn't he? Since you own one, why not email Bell and ask?
 
Thread starter
Made me pause for a second. Until about a year ago I owned a Mustang GT and wondered how you could have known that. Then I realized you meant, I own a Bell helmet, not the car! Haha!

And, yes, he drove that fastback in one of the best chase scenes ever filmed!
Edit: Email to Bell sent!
 
Mine got here today. The only blemish I could find on it was a tiny, tiny little scratch in the paint on one side of the helmet, all the way down by the bottom. I was expecting worse, considering the discount.

But...that's probably a moot point, because I don't think I'm gonna be keeping the helmet. It's a little too tight overall, a little too round in shape, and it folds my left ear in half and won't let it unfold. Also, the on/off process is really tough on the ears...I feel like I'd end up with cauliflower ear.

I also had Manning forehead after a whopping 5 minutes.

Some reviewers online say that these problems go away with some break-in...but I'm not sure it's worth giving up the chance to return it in order to find out. If I had anywhere to go size-wise, I'd see if they'd trade me a larger helmet for the same price...but I'm already at XXL.

All that said, it's a pretty cool helmet; and like MG said, the field of view is great.
 
Thread starter
pechorin75_imp said:
Mine got here today. The only blemish I could find on it was a tiny, tiny little scratch in the paint on one side of the helmet, all the way down by the bottom. I was expecting worse, considering the discount.

But...that's probably a moot point, because I don't think I'm gonna be keeping the helmet. It's a little too tight overall, a little too round in shape, and it folds my left ear in half and won't let it unfold. Also, the on/off process is really tough on the ears...I feel like I'd end up with cauliflower ear.

I also had Manning forehead after a whopping 5 minutes.

Some reviewers online say that these problems go away with some break-in...but I'm not sure it's worth giving up the chance to return it in order to find out. If I had anywhere to go size-wise, I'd see if they'd trade me a larger helmet for the same price...but I'm already at XXL.

All that said, it's a pretty cool helmet; and like MG said, the field of view is great.
Sorry to hear it pechorin. It is getting easier on the ears for me and the Manning mark seems to be diminishing as well. But, with mine, it was very comfortable from the get go. It never felt too tight. I hope you find something else that works well for you.
 
MG. Mate. Someone's got to tell you. Look in the mirror. We can all see from your avatar that there's something very peculiar about your left ear. It sticks out through the helmet.

God knows what the right one's like.
 
Back
Top