Bell Bullitt Helmet

Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Surely a man with your handle, metallyguitareded, ought to have an ace that plugs in.
Certainly you're familiar with and a fan of acoustic metal?!
holy666diver_imp said:
I am really digging that helmet. Is there anything you can do for Anti-fog? Do they make a pinlock for it?
There's no compatible pinlock that I'm aware of but there's decent airflow due to the lack of a chin curtain that, so far at least, has kept the shield from fogging. Another option, one I used to do after whatever anti-fog treatment had worn off or proved itself to be insufficient, was treat the inside of the shield with "Cat Crap." I had read about it on a motorcycle forum years ago, gave it a try and was sold. It's a coating that you spread onto the inside of your shield, let dry, then buff off. A little goes a long way and, if I remember correctly, I'd get about a week of fog free riding before needing to reapply. It's marketed for ski goggles and I found it at REI: http://www.rei.com/product/623337/ek-ekcessories-cat-crap-anti-fog-lens-cleaner
 
Thread starter
I heard back from Bell (BRG Sports) regarding the "Bullitt" name. Katie McDonald from BRG replied to my email and included quoted excerpts from an interview with the helmet's designer. The excerpts are as follows:

"The Bullitt is named after a 1968 movie that, although it stars Steve McQueen, and is of the right era for a retro looking helmet like this, doesn't have any motorcycles in it. Why call it the "Bullitt?"

"Bullitt" has always been my favorite car chase movie of all time. If I were going to name it after my favorite motorcycle chase movie it would have to be "Mad Max," or Goose, the guy in that movie who rides a modified KZ1000. But that just wouldn't be as cool as "Bullitt.""

I thanked her for getting back to me and for the info and I now share it with all of you!
 
That's cool, MG. Thanks for doing that. I got no reply from Bell on my suggestion that they re-introduce the white Bell-logoed newboy (aka drivers aka stroker) cap.

I kind of like the idea that the name didn't come from a focus group, but rather some guy that thought it sounded cool.
 
I really wished I had read the rest of the paragraph about cat crap before I ran out to the flowerbed and applied some. :blush:
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
That's cool, MG. Thanks for doing that. I got no reply from Bell on my suggestion that they re-introduce the white Bell-logoed newboy (aka drivers aka stroker) cap.

I kind of like the idea that the name didn't come from a focus group, but rather some guy that thought it sounded cool.
You bet. And thanks to the ferret for suggesting I write to them. At this point, I figured I wouldn't hear from them either. Maybe Bell is waiting for your birthday to surprise you with the re-release of the newly named "MTC Bell Newsboy Cap."
gossman_imp said:
I really wished I had read the rest of the paragraph about cat crap before I ran out to the flowerbed and applied some. :blush:
Haha! Let us know how it works. Your version is plentiful and less expensive.
 
Well, I'll be darned. Thanks for the info MG.

One of my favorite car chase movies was called Vanishing Point. Doubt they'd have wanted to name a helmet after that movie.
 
Here's mine....the "Captain America / Daft Punk" version. It came with both the mirrored shield and a clear bubble...but I prefer this one. It's breaking in nicely, btw.

 
Thread starter
linuxology_imp said:
Due to the shape it would seem, Wind noise seems it would be fairly noisy. Like the look though
It's certainly not the quietest helmet I've owned. Surprisingly, it's quieter than my Bell Vortex but not as quiet as the RS-1. I've been experimenting with different ear plugs as I've read that even the best designed helmets, at speed, allow enough wind noise in to be damaging to our hearing. The foamies are cheap and easy but not very comfortable on longer rides. I've tried some Etymotic plugs http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044...UTF8&psc=1 that actually hurt my ears with the helmet on. So far, the best I've found are a type of wax ear plugs that you can size yourself by tearing off some of the material or adding to it. You then squish it between your thumb and forefinger for about 10 seconds to heat it and make it pliable, then place it into your ear and flatten it out so it blocks the entire ear canal. [url=http://earplugsonline.com/]http://earplugsonline.com/ They work well enough but I'd love to find a simple, affordable, reusable, comfortable, effective, quick ear plug. Haha. Wouldn't we all?

Any suggestions? What works well for you guys?
 
Thread starter
A few days ago, I dropped my helmet while in the garage. Wanted to kick myself. The face shield took the brunt of it getting scratched up in the process. The helmet itself came through unscathed with the exception of a small, 1/4 inch scratch towards the top left. I rode with the dark shield afterwards and it's usable but the scratches are somewhat annoying. I ordered a new shield from Revzilla and within a day, it was at my doorstep. This time I went with the gold iridium and I think it looks great. Even better than the dark shield.

It's difficult to get a decent shot of it because it's mirrored. But the shield has a subtle gold tint throughout with a touch of blue towards the top.


Here we go! This angle seems to capture it much better.
[url=http://s51.photobucket.com/user/jamesfontaine/media/IMAG1517.jpg.html]
 
Thread starter
DGShannon_imp said:

Given the leather strap snap, and the way the shield is designed, I am guessing that this helmet is not leading the pack for wind noise reduction? I am putting my shield up and down constantly, as I ride (stoplights, slow through town, etc.) Maybe working that snap (with gloves on?) is not as difficult as it looks, but I am guessing yes?
The "snap" is actually magnetic. There is nothing to actually snap into. It's easy to take hold of the button/snap and simply lift up. Closing it is likewise as simple as pushing the shield down and the magnet just affixes to the chin guard. The shield itself seals very well and the noise seems to come primarily from the wide opening on the sides of the jaw. Also, there is no chin curtain. Still, it's not as loud as one would imagine.
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks Cormanus! I certainly should have searched before starting a new ear plug discussion. I'll definitely check out both the links you provided and those Bose headphones!
 
metallyguitarded_imp said:
DGShannon_imp said:

Given the leather strap snap, and the way the shield is designed, I am guessing that this helmet is not leading the pack for wind noise reduction? I am putting my shield up and down constantly, as I ride (stoplights, slow through town, etc.) Maybe working that snap (with gloves on?) is not as difficult as it looks, but I am guessing yes?
The "snap" is actually magnetic. There is nothing to actually snap into. It's easy to take hold of the button/snap and simply lift up. Closing it is likewise as simple as pushing the shield down and the magnet just affixes to the chin guard. The shield itself seals very well and the noise seems to come primarily from the wide opening on the sides of the jaw. Also, there is no chin curtain. Still, it's not as loud as one would imagine.
Cormanus_imp said:
Thanks Cormanus! I certainly should have searched before starting a new ear plug discussion. I'll definitely check out both the links you provided and those Bose headphones!

Cool! That changes everything.
pechorin75_imp said:
Very Daft Punk, for sure! You will have to get one of their t-shirts to wear with it, when you ride!

 
Back
Top