Being seen

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
A year ago I read of a maneuver developed in England I believe, for motorcyclists to make themselves visible in 2 specific instances, which are a couple of the top reasons for motorcycle accidents.

#1: A car pulling out from the side, as in pulling out of a side street or driveway

#2: A car approaching from the opposite direction. with the intention of turning left in front of you.

I have been practicing this maneuver for the last year, and although I have no "proof" that it has been effective, other than I catch drivers staring at me after doing it, it seems to me as if it might have some merit.

What happens is when I see a car getting ready to turn left in front of me or pull out from a side street I start a tight quick weave in my lane (while still covering my brakes and clutch just in case) . The theory behind it is that rather than the tiny white dot of a steady headlight, which is tough to judge approaching speed on, the headlight bobs and weaves drawing the other driver's attention. I even did this to an Ohio Highway Patrolman one day about to turn left in front of me. He stopped. I wish I had turned around and chased him down to see if it made any difference to him, as he may have seen me anyway before the weave, but I didn't think of it fast enough. I will get the chance to question an LEO someday (probably in the backseat of his car as he's writing me up for reckless op lol )

Anyhow with the recent reports here on the site, I thought I would mention it, in case anyone else wanted to experiment. BY all means if you don't feel comfortable doing it, DON'T, and if I get a chance to talk to someone I have pulled the maneuver on I will let you know what they say.

Ride safe!
 
I think I read the same article. If I recall, part of the theory is that you expose more surface area (the side of your bike) to the driver in the process of the weave. I don't always remember to do this, but I believe it works. It certainly can't do any harm.
 
That sounds logical. Movement does not tend to blend with a stationary background. However it's a hard theory to prove, as Ferret points out. All may not be as seems though. Some (and not amateurs) claim that, during daylight, black is better that hi-viz. I confess that particularly on country roads I am inclined to weave a little if I see a vehicle at an intersection. Generally joined into a buffer manoeuvre. But, ultimately, you have to commit, often without a guarantee that you have been seen and recognised for what you are. Vulnerable.

Cheers, and good post.
 
I like to flash my bright lights with that new fangled right hand index finger switch that we have, it took me awhile to remember that I have it, now it's second nature, does it work.... I don't know....but every little bit helps.
 
Thread starter
Im hesitant to use the flash to passed switch (on the left hand switch btw) because when I was growing up flashing the high beams was a signal to tell the other driver " go ahead and turn/ pull out", I am giving you room. Not sure if younger drivers would read it that way or not.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Im hesitant to use the flash to passed switch (on the left hand switch btw) because when I was growing up flashing the high beams was a signal to tell the other driver " go ahead and turn/ pull out", I am giving you room. Not sure if younger drivers would read it that way or not.
I agree. This is a common signal to another vehicle to go and could lead to a disaster if you really don't intend for that person to take the right of way.
I often flash my lights when I'm in my car, but on my bike I'll either raise my arm to signal another vehicle to go or gesture with my head - depending on the situation.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Im hesitant to use the flash to passed switch (on the left hand switch btw) because when I was growing up flashing the high beams was a signal to tell the other driver " go ahead and turn/ pull out", I am giving you room. Not sure if younger drivers would read it that way or not.
I agree with this and since I ride with the hig beam on during the day, it wouldn't work anyway. Also, anyone know why the word "p-a-s-s" is posting as "cuss"? This happened to me several times yesterday.
 
Thread starter
I think the adm is trying out some new anti obscenity software and it is having some teething problems. Notice the u and i are right next to each other on the keyboard. I think the computer is either reading it as the slang of urine, OR more likely it is missing the p and reading it as the slang of rear end.

Growing pains lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Im hesitant to use the flash to passed switch (on the left hand switch btw) because when I was growing up flashing the high beams was a signal to tell the other driver " go ahead and turn/ pull out", I am giving you room. Not sure if younger drivers would read it that way or not.
Many years ago a cousin who lived in Orlando, FL. told me that flashing the lights to an oncommig vehicle at an intersection about to turn in front of you was the go ahead sign. But in Miami, FL. it meant "don't even think about turning, I am not stopping". Not sure how it is nowadays.

I wouldn't mind trying this if it helps. Actually I wouldn't mind lighting up like an Ambulance with sirens and all.

Thanks for sharing.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Im hesitant to use the flash to passed switch (on the left hand switch btw) because when I was growing up flashing the high beams was a signal to tell the other driver " go ahead and turn/ pull out", I am giving you room. Not sure if younger drivers would read it that way or not.
I have never experienced this, except when two cars pull up to a four way stop at night, or when being passed by a semi truck on the highway to let him or her know that they have clearance to get back in the lane, I do use it sparingly when I think somebody may not be paying attention or appears to be in a hurry when they do a california stop, I tend to be fairly far away when I do this when I'm in a proactive zone. :thumbsup:
 
I also do a weave motion in my lane if I approach a car which seems like it hasn't seen me...every little bit helps I suppose.
 
I kinda wiggle/squirm too as I approach an intersection, sometimes just switching the side of the lane I'm on, maybe hoping to get their attention or at least be on my way to avoid them if they pull in front of me.
I've had 2 accidents in my life,
1. a car pulling in front of me from his stop sign( I had no stop sign)
2. went wide in a corner hit sand an slid down the road.
 
I move around in my lane a lot when I am in heavy traffic . I think it helps. In rush hour traffic I some times pull over to the right side of the lane when at a stop light. I have almost been hit a couple of times when people think they can share my lane. Happens more when I am on a scooter.
I only use my flash to high beam to warn on coming traffic of a speed trap ahead on the highway.
 
I've heard about the wiggle but haven't practiced it. I install Denali front driving lights on my bikes. That gets me noticed at intersections. I have a set for the CB, but I'm still waiting for the mounts that attach to the engine guards. (backordered).

The problem I see from time to time is when I'm in a car or SUV's driver's side blind spot and they move left into my lane. With such heavy traffic on New Jersey's highways, it's impossible to stay out of everyone's blind spot all the time.
 
I never weave/swerve in my lane in any situation, i think that would just confuse drivers.
( maybe to warm up tires when i first start out)

What if I'm swerving left and have to go right (Oh Crap) Always covering the front brake and straight so if someone has bad intention i can react quickly. I also try on the highway to stay out of the center lane, right lane right side left lane left side furthest point away from moving traffic. I move to the center when approaching intersection or driveways. I do beep my horn when someone looks like there pulling out of a driveway or intersection. Sometimes they get po'd off with a hand gesture but thats OK as long as they don't hit me.
 
CA200_imp said:
I move around in my lane a lot when I am in heavy traffic . I think it helps. In rush hour traffic I some times pull over to the right side of the lane when at a stop light. I have almost been hit a couple of times when people think they can share my lane. Happens more when I am on a scooter.
I only use my flash to high beam to warn on coming traffic of a speed trap ahead on the highway.
I do this all the time in city traffic. My general goal is to be where the nearest vehicle (the one most likely to cause a problem) can see me.

On most of the major streets I'll have traffic on either side of me. I position myself so I can see the nearest driver's face in the side mirror. As I move into his blind spot, I shift over to the other side of the lane so he can see me through the side window. Once I'm next to him and definitely noticed, I position myself where then next nearest driver can see me. This all results in me going down the road constantly shifting from one side of the lane to the other.
 
Good conversation. Im a fan of flash to pass and always use my high/low beam to alert but now have another tool in the box. I just rode 5 miles into town today and its a jungle of bad things that can happen. Appreciate the pointer on weaving a bit.
 
HIGH VIS gear all the way. People look at it unconsciously. I slow down a tad and stare at the oncoming driver, ready for them to be stupid but not enough to make them think I want them to turn. We have to assume people will be stupid. If someone is pulling out from a driveway or side street, I am ready to go behind them. And if there are places where someone may pull in front of me from anywhere, I ride slow enough to hit the brakes and check my mirrors to see the guy behind me. How many Youtubes show bikes going too fast thru intersections? Tons. It's not a car. So many people ride like they drive. It's not the same. I like the idea of weaving a bit too.
 
nhawk7504_imp said:
HIGH VIS gear all the way. People look at it unconsciously. I slow down a tad and stare at the oncoming driver, ready for them to be stupid but not enough to make them think I want them to turn. We have to assume people will be stupid. If someone is pulling out from a driveway or side street, I am ready to go behind them. And if there are places where someone may pull in front of me from anywhere, I ride slow enough to hit the brakes and check my mirrors to see the guy behind me. How many Youtubes show bikes going too fast thru intersections? Tons. It's not a car. So many people ride like they drive. It's not the same. I like the idea of weaving a bit too.
Agreed! A bright red jacket and a white helmet for me always.
I also follow your escape plan in traffic and I'm also concerned about who is behind me. So far so good.
I often dismayed to see bikes blasting through traffic. All it takes is a driver to change lanes with no signal (most of the time) and you're toast.
I just hope they make it to a ripe old age like me and still be enjoying this great hobby.
 
Back
Top