Before and After

ymtnpoah11_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
f71e23fb5be34cdc57f28fd9071568df.jpg

e28d033edd44937d00b2f122daaa7682.jpg


Before and after going down when an uninsured driver made a u-turn across two lanes and stopped cold.

Would you...

-repair the org. tank?
-replace the tank with oem?
-replace it with a 2017 one?
-buy a Whitehouse?
-other..
 
If insurance won't be involved and anything you do with it is on your dime, I agree, it would be a good excuse to go with a Whitehouse if that's the look you'd want. How's the rest of the bike, and more important, are you ok?
 
Hope you are well!!
If it were my bike, I would salvage/sell for parts and buy another CB.
 
ymtnpoah11_imp said:
f71e23fb5be34cdc57f28fd9071568df.jpg

e28d033edd44937d00b2f122daaa7682.jpg


Before and after going down when an uninsured driver made a u-turn across two lanes and stopped cold.

Would you...

-repair the org. tank?
-replace the tank with oem?
-replace it with a 2017 one?
-buy a Whitehouse?
-other..
I don't think that tank is repairable in the practical sense. The dent is on an edge, and has pushed the side and top up and outward . The tank would at least have to be cut open from the back and an expert metalworker might be able to resurrect it.

A 2017 tank would use a different gas cap with a different style of key. And the fuel pump will interchange, but the sender unit may not read correctly
 
Indeed, I hope you’re okay, ymtnpoah11. Is the frame OK?
 
If the bike is insured for collision damage, have the insurance company total it and buy yourself another one. If not, part it out and get what you can for it.
 
Oh, I hate seeing these things. I'm afraid I would get arrested if someone did this to me. :(
 
Your post should come with a content warning, GoldOxide. That did not end happily.
 
I could see the video as well as the followup video in the responses below it. The bike was scratched pretty bad. Glad he was wearing all the gear, though his helmet flew off pretty early in his decent. We aren't going there on this rally, right??
 
Do we know what happened to the rider?
 
LongRanger_imp said:
If the bike is insured for collision damage, have the insurance company total it and buy yourself another one. If not, part it out and get what you can for it.


Agreed- I think there is more damage than he thinks there is....
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
I could see the video as well as the followup video in the responses below it. The bike was scratched pretty bad. Glad he was wearing all the gear, though his helmet flew off pretty early in his decent. We aren't going there on this rally, right??
I would hope that would be no place for an inline-4.
 
Thread starter
Thank you. I had the good fortune to walk away, and the gear did its job.

If there were video of my crash it would not be graphic enough to be removed from youtube.

In my case, we went down braking and didn't hit the car, but the bike hit the ground hard and had a short slide.

A mechanic said the frame and forks look straight - on visual inspection. I rode it home from the shop - at low speeds, and it seemed balanced.

What should I look for?

The big ticket items are the instruments and tank. (Bars are crucial but nominal.) After that, I hope it's all cosmetic.

When you buy an oem tank does it come finished or unfinished?

Do any whitehouse folks have criticisms of your tanks?
 
OEM tanks come finished.
 
clearviewx_imp said:
Oh, I hate seeing these things. I'm afraid I would get arrested if someone did this to me. :(
We love our bikes but at the end of the day, they are just things.

People, no matter how dumb, are way more important than a bike.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Your post should come with a content warning, GoldOxide. That did not end happily.
Hey yes, not sure if the video is still available. Nevertheless, can you append the said warning to the post? Thx.
 
If you're talking about the guy who tumbled down the embankment after he didn't quite clear a rock jutting out from the trail, yeah, that was hard to see. I think someone determined that the flying helmet came from another guy who ran down the embankment to try to help. Hard to watch for sure!

ymtnpoah11, thanks for letting us know you're OK. Also for shedding some light on the accident. If you were able to ride the bike and it seems OK, and you've had it looked over, sounds mostly cosmetic and can be repaired. Looking forward to seeing the progress as you figure out what direction to take it.
 
Back
Top