Beeswax for leather gear care?

VTR1000F_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Do you guys use beeswax product to take care of your leather gear? I have a beeswax with added lanoline which I use for my belts and wallets care and I consider to use it on my leather jacket. I´m a bit afraid that it softens the leather too much..
 
I bought a product called 'Renapur Leather Balsam' at the NEC Motorcycle show in 1998. Cost me £10 which at the time I thought expensive.

I've treated many sets of leathers, ridden in all weathers, girlfriends leather boots, my hiking boots, bags, you name it. Still got 1/3 of the tub left.

Yes it works. Yes it contains beeswax. Yes it's a small investment for protecting your leather goods.

Also, I use saddle soap to clean them.

Go to a saddlery (equestrian shop) and get saddle soap in the bar form. Wet a sponge and run I talking the soap, then clean away knowing your leather is in leather heaven. (Disclaimer: if 'Leather Heaven' is a dubious website, I didn't know that, nor should your leather).
 
My leather is treated with bug guts. Wore it to the doctors office today. No one would sit near me. Wife complains about it all the time. My fussy brother treats his leathers with something, but I'm not sure what.
 
The ferret_imp said:
My leather is treated with bug guts. Wore it to the doctors office today. No one would sit near me. Wife complains about it all the time. My fussy brother treats his leathers with something, but I'm not sure what.
Hehehe! I'm with you Mickey! I went for a ride Sunday and noticed all the guts on my Alpinestars mesh jacket. At first I though "Damn, I need to clean this thing!" Then I had second thoughts. :D
 
Along the bug lines.....some people caution about buying perforated leather jackets because the bugs are so hard to clean out of the leather,
 
Did a little research and found people LOVE this product called
CRC Tannery Leather, Vinyl & More Cleaner & Conditioner
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3TX4YUK2VIRSQ

I just bought a can at my local True value Hardware, have done my leather jacket, pants and boots, may get around to doing my entire car interior
Article below suggests you condition leather riding gear every 2 weeks or so...oh, and mentioned salt ruins the most seams!
Got the hint for this product from RevZillas interview with Anthony's Leather Works
How to care for your leather motorcycle gear and make it last - RevZilla

Anthony's Leatherworks
 
Every two weeks? :rofl: not gonna happen
 
Ever seen how dressage (horse ballet) riders care for their gear? All. The. Time. I'll clean my jacket and helmet sometimes (if I have a date or something), oiled them once in the last 6 months, definitley time for another. I will say the jacket and gloves felt great after oiling them.

I used this stuff. Rub it in, buff it off. Feels really nice afterwards.
Pecard

Ferret, you'll wash the bike but not clean you gear? Sure, maybe bug guts help...


No need to be anal about cleaning it, but leather get brittle when dried out, that's not good for protection. Plus it's expensive enough, I think it's worth taking care of.
 
I just put some Corbin leather conditioner on my Corbin seat. First time in at least 20 years but the bike was in storage for at least 14 of those 20.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I wash the bikes once or twice a year.

I'm not saying you SHOULDN'T take care of your leather gear, it's probably a great idea....I'm saying I usually don't lol
 
I've found that the best treatment for leather is Proudsfoot oil. It keeps the hide in tip top condition, has some great weatherproofing properties and doesn't smell too minging either.
 
Back
Top