Bay Area: Sunol Wilderness Regional Reserve

rdprdp01

Administrator
Thread starter
The Sunol Wilderness Regional Preserve is one of my favorite destinations. It is a perfect example of a Northern California ride that enables a motorcyclist to be in the moment and celebrate the beauty of riding and nature.Believe it or not, it is possible for both to coexist!

Like all things in the United States, the people who care and protect the Preserve have changed over time. A nice history can be found here:

Sunol Wilderness Regional Preserve

At present, 7,000 acres are shared by grazing cattle, all kinds of birds and animals, beautiful plants, and Californians who walk, ride, hike, bicycle, and drive the Calaveras Road, the only road I know that runs the length of the Preserve. It is 21 miles of the most beautiful vista and turns you can possibly imagine.

LPVnCKD.png


I believe the best entry into the Preserve is from Interstate 680:

Jy2xqDk.jpeg


It is a road built for experienced motorcyclists who properly maintain their motorcycles and understand how to ride a twisty road. There are no guard rails, proper turnouts, and the descents are steep. If you loose control or focus, the consequences could be dire. However, the connection to nature and your motorcycle are spectacular while riding Calavares Road. A few pictures follow. I hope they give the ride justice.

hSHEQTO.jpeg


M7wbCvs.jpeg


JSJhHwk.jpeg


R6zDBkT.png
 
Looks lovely, rdprdp01.
 
So many beautiful areas to ride in California. Thank you for sharing this. While in the Air Force, I was stationed at Edwards, Vandenberg and Travis and was at Travis much later for a year when my wife was stationed there after I retired. I found the riding especially great almost anywhere I went.
 
Hey rdprdp01, I know that road and have ridden it, there's a few blind curves too. Another ride close to you is off highway 24, Upper Happy Valley road. Takes you to Bear Creek road near Briones Park. Right on Bear Creek takes you to Martinez or left takes you to San Pablo Dam road. You can ride through Tilden park on Wildcat canyon to Grizzly Peak with a panoramic view of the Bay. One of my favorite rides. I use to dispatch for EBRPD I saw many of the parks by land, sea (San Pablo reservoir) and flew in the Helicopter, fun times
 
Thread starter
[quote="Cooldrum305" pid='270568' dateline='1756342474']
Hey rdprdp01, I know that road and have ridden it, there's a few blind curves too. Another ride close to you is off highway 24, Upper Happy Valley road. Takes you to Bear Creek road near Briones Park. Right on Bear Creek takes you to Martinez or left takes you to San Pablo Dam road. You can ride through Tilden park on Wildcat canyon to Grizzly Peak with a panoramic view of the Bay. One of my favorite rides. I use to dispatch for EBRPD I saw many of the parks by land, sea (San Pablo reservoir) and flew in the Helicopter, fun times
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response. You just sent me out on Incident! I will post pictures from my ride when I return to the East Bay in 2 weeks. Thanks for detailed instructions. More to follow. David
 
Thread starter
Nachodaddy said:
So many beautiful areas to ride in California. Thank you for sharing this. While in the Air Force, I was stationed at Edwards, Vandenberg and Travis and was at Travis much later for a year when my wife was stationed there after I retired. I found the riding especially great almost anywhere I went.

The Air Force runs deep in my family. In fact, there would be no family without the Air Force. My Mother and Father met while he was in Europe. Thank you for your service and protecting us. California has challenges, but finding a great motorcycle ride is not one of them. David
 
Back
Top