Battery jumper

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
After getting stranded with a dead battery on my CB 1100 last week (thanks to the help of strangers pushing I got it bump started and rode it home) I became concerned about what would happen in the same situation with my NC DCT (which is coming up on 4 years old on original battery) or my wife's X Max scooter CVT (2 years old), neither of which could be bump started. The weak link in an automatic motorcycle imo. So, I started researching jump starters.

I learned that jump starters can't be run thru the battery tender jr pigtails I already have on my bikes because of too much volts or amps? something to do with the battery tender jr wires being too small. So, it was either rig up my own wires that would mate to a jump starter or find someone who already made them. Research and talking with other motorcyclists led me to a company called Noco which had everything I'd needed... pigtails to hook up to my batteries, charger/maintainers for extended storage and the jump starter itself. I know some people don't believe in battery maintainers, but I have had excellent experience with them over the last couple of decades, and will continue to use them, and having a system all designed to work together just made sense to me. So, I contacted the company, asked them some questions, which they always answered the same day (Unlike contacting Cardo for my helmet comms which sometimes took a week to get a response from) and placed an order.

Tonight, the Amazon driver dropped me off a package during dinner

d5ceb80dcb13d02322a1869f369ecf29.jpg


Tomorrow I'm running over to a buddy's house who, unlike me, actually likes to work on things lol, and we will hook one of these pigtails up on the NC. Another day we will tackle the X Max.

Hopefully I will never have to use the jump starter. But if I'm out and the NC or X Max fails to fire, it will be comforting to know I can get it going again and get home.
 
Watch project farms testing of jumpers on youtube. I got the GooLoo and a bunch of my buddies did also. Noco didn't rank well in testing if memory serves especially for the price.

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
I dont think gooloo had the pigtails to attach to batteries.

I have these, so we will see. Other motorcyclists I talked to rated them highly which is why I went with them, plus they had the pigtails and the charger/ maintainers all made to work together.
 
Ferret, probably worth putting the pigtail on the CB1100 as you can always carry the starter unit on whatever bike you're riding. That way, you'll be good to go if you ever have another problem on the CB and there's no one to push.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I dont think gooloo had the pigtails to attach to batteries.

I have these, so we will see. Other motorcyclists I talked to rated them highly which is why I went with them, plus they had the pigtails and the charger/ maintainers all made to work together.
I see i didn't think of using the pigtail to jump it but since I already have the pigtail on the battery for my battery tender I'll look into if they make a pigtail plug for the jumper. Thanks for the idea!

2014 CB1100, 1981 KZ440 LTD, 1993 Yamaha XJ600 Seca, 1994 Yamaha XJ600 Seca
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
Ferret, probably worth putting the pigtail on the CB1100 as you can always carry the starter unit on whatever bike you're riding. That way, you'll be good to go if you ever have another problem on the CB and there's no one to push.
Thinking anout it Cormanus, thinking about it. With a fresh battery in the CB I should be good for the next few years. I originally just planned to put them om the " automatics", but one on the CB wouldnt be a bad idea I guess.
 
Like the approach Ferret, watched some video's with these parts and they are indeed made for the job, good choice!
If it was me i would definitely try it out on the bikes and assure yourself that all works as expected, new isn't always......
Should start the bike quicker with the noco assist etc.
If the battery compartment is a little bit cramped the black lead could also be connected on the ground bolt of the starter motor itself, just make sure the surfaces are clean to carry the starter current, look forward to how you like the new install.

CB1100 starter motor rear mounting bolts with negative battery terminal.

 
Thread starter
Got pigtail installed this morning. Took about 30 mins.


Booster on left, charger/maintainer in the middle, and pigtail on right


721c46e256b976b99e4e6bf941f66196.jpg



Drilled a hole in a plastic battery access panel for the cables that run to the battery.


eb0d983528f4c4e30a0113252b0627f0.jpg



Notice I left my battery tender jr SAE pigtail attached to run my heated jacket liner in the winter.

62f68bbb15175af6ba07f22d9b43dbe8.jpg



Stores neatly in the frunk when not being used, and readily accessible if needed out on the road

6168e9067ce7f867baabb2dacb3a0c23.jpg



Once I charge the booster, it's ready to be jumped if the battery ever lets me down out on the road.

Hope I never have to use it lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Got pigtail installed this morning. Took about 30 mins.


Booster on left, charger/maintainer in the middle, and pigtail on right


721c46e256b976b99e4e6bf941f66196.jpg



Drilled a hole in a plastic battery access panel for the cables that run to the battery.


eb0d983528f4c4e30a0113252b0627f0.jpg



Notice I left my battery tender jr SAE pigtail attached to run my heated jacket liner in the winter.

62f68bbb15175af6ba07f22d9b43dbe8.jpg



Stores neatly in the frunk when not being used, and readily accessible if needed out on the road

6168e9067ce7f867baabb2dacb3a0c23.jpg



Once I charge the booster, it's ready to be jumped if the battery ever lets me down out on the road.

Hope I never have to use it lol

Looks good! Very cool that you can just hook up and jump. I bought a portable charger about 6 or 7 years back. I bought it for the bikes on trips, but I've used it to jump both vehicles, boat, flashlight, recharge phone when camping in the wilds...and never have used it for what I mainly bought it for, to jump the mc.
 
Thread starter
Yea I hope I never have to use it for that either lol
 
I've always just felt peace of mind having a battery jumper when out on long road trips. Got a little one for the bike and a large one that can go in a car/truck. In the many road trips I have gone on, I have never used them once to jump start my vehicle. Its always been some stranger that ends up needing the assistance lol
 
I was away on my boat when I had a major battery failure. A friend acquired a battery jumper for me and delivered it which saved the day. I’ve carried it ever since and it’s saved me once on the boat and once in my car. Great things.
 
Thread starter
Jumper is charged up and safely ensconced in my tail pack along with my tire repair kit and a siphon hose lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Jumper is charged up and safely ensconced in my tail pack along with my tire repair kit and a siphon hose lol
You are ready for another trip out west!
 
Thread starter
:rofl: i'm pretty sure those kind of trips are now in my rear view mirror.

But I plan on terrorizing southern Ohio and northern Kentucky.
 
Back
Top