Battery Cover Question

syrio_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I was attempting to hook up by battery tender to the battery but when I went to remove the battery cover the screw holding in place is stuck. Not sure if someone used thread locker or what as it seems a small screw but I have now succeeded in stripping it.

Since the battery cover itself is plastic, can I just the cut the plastic and basically remove it out around the screw? I think I would have better leverage on the screw without the plastic.

In addition is the cover necessary other than to hold the tool kit? Does the battery actually strap in beneath the plastic cover or does the cover help to hold the battery in place? On other bikes I've owned the battery is usually immediately accessible once the seat is removed. If thats the case I'll probably just cut the cover out for now and be done with it.

Thanks for any help.
 
Been awhile since I was in there but that screw is a shouldered screw, and there is a push pin that has to be removed before box can come out. Technically the box does not hold the battery in, but would keep it from " bouncing up".
 
Are you talking about a plastic blind reteiner ("pop" rivets) ??
No need to cut anything, just remove/unscrew its middle, then the outer clip = 5 sec job

 
That screw sticks out from behind the fender and is exposed to whatever the wheel throws up. You can see it if you get down and look under the fender. It probably got corroded in.
 
Make certain that you have a good fitting screw driver and hold the screw retainer in place with your left hand when you put the screw back in . I do not even bother with the plastic "rivet" type connector , no need for that one.
 
Thread starter
No not the pop rivet, that works fine. It’s the screw itself that is stuck. I’ll have to see if I can twist from under the fender or if it’s corroded.

My cutting proposal is contingent on not being able to remove the screw.

Does anyone know the battery cover part # as well if I do cut?
 
Syrio, using JIS screwdrivers is always a good idea. Our bikes do not have Phillips head screws. Although most people do use Phillips drivers, they will cam out pretty easily and mess up screw heads. A nice little set of Vessel JIS screwdrivers should be in your future.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Syrio, using JIS screwdrivers is always a good idea. Our bikes do not have Phillips head screws. Although most people do use Phillips drivers, they will cam out pretty easily and mess up screw heads. A nice little set of Vessel JIS screwdrivers should be in your future.
Ah that is good to know. I did use a Philips head.

I had looked through that parts catalog but didn’t see the battery cover, will have to check again.

I’ll probably attempt to drill the screw out now that I know it just goes through the fender. I wasn’t sure what was on the opposite side.
 
PB, you are talking the fasteners, I’m talking nuts :D
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
PB, you are talking the fasteners, I’m talking nuts :D
This becomes a very serious nut problem, we need face to-face-talk...but first, did you place beer in your new fridge???:D
 
I don’t have a new fridge yet. Maybe get it this week, but that’s tentative. Not holding my breath. But there is plenty in my beer fridge!

Doesn’t everybody drink a few beers before messing with electrical/mechanical devices?

And to stay motorcycles, I’d be trying to get that screw out considering what they want for that box.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all the help. I'm able to see the nut turning but not the screw on the fender side when wiggling the screw back and forth. We're still getting some days into the 40's where I'm at so will probably worry about taking the screw out when the bike is sitting for more than week at a time and I want to get it on the tender.
 
Maybe spraying some PB Blaster or whatever on the nut and threads will help some after it soaks in a while.
 
Hammer & chisel or drift, needle nose vice grips
 
PB blaster...I would advise LP, GO and Houtman to handle it with care as this is not a laughing matter.....:P:D
 
Back
Top