basics chain adjustment - VIDEO

Hi Riko, he is turning both adjusters in the same direction. When doing the adjustment, it is important that the adjusters on both sides are turned the same amount in order to maintain rear wheel alignment. Rear wheel alignment is critical for proper handling and even wear on the chain and sprockets.
 
You do realize that you have to adjust both adjusters the same or you will pull the axle, and thus the wheel, out of alignment. If you only adjust one side, the wheel will point sideways one way or the other. That causes bad things to happen. Like brake binding, excessive tire and chain wear, wheel bearing problems. And handling problems.

I'm sure that more comments will follow.
 
Thread starter
thx all!

I did not realise that turning up on one side and turning down in the other side (or visa versa) is actually turning the same way, I didnt think it trough when I asked the question LOL

just one question about making sure the distance is the same on both sides, what do you mean with "carrier" to be exact if you cant really trust on the guide stickers provided by the manufacturer?
 
A lot of " techy types" measure from the middle of the swingarm pivot to the middle of the rear axle on both sides
 
That would be a pain every time. Couldn't you just measure from the middle of the pivot to the end of the swingarm, verify it is the same on both sides and then use the micrometer like some of us do now? One time a pain then easy from then on.
 
I think, this is very smart:

af1e2b58205089462b717a1d1f5400d7.jpg


You can eyeball, if the pin is in line with the chain.
 
Thread starter
thx all!

Django, whats that last tool? Looks promising

Lord Popgun_imp said:
That would be a pain every time. Couldn't you just measure from the middle of the pivot to the end of the swingarm, verify it is the same on both sides and then use the micrometer like some of us do now? One time a pain then easy from then on.
by "end of the swingwarm" you mean that adjuster (item 4 image in link above) right?
 
Well, yeah. Its at the end of the swingarm. Edit. I mean no. I mean to the end of the swingarm. The adjuster is going to move as you adjust it.

I'm getting confused. In the question to Ferret, I mean to the end of the actual swingarm. When measuring during an adjustment, I measure from the end of the adjuster to the end of the swingarm. Some of us use a micrometer as it is easy to set and get the exact same amount on both sides, but you could use a ruler.

I need to take a look when I get home to be more specific. Or maybe someone can post a pic.

In the service manual it just says to use the decals. You could do that, but you do not know if they are correct unless you check them by measuring.
 
Thread starter
aaight, now I have some idea what to look out for in the future ;)

I'm doing all this research and most things are based on reviews, owner reports, board information and pictures.

This bike will be mine somewhere next year I hope, in the worst case somewhere begin 2017.
 
Riko,

I edited my post while you were posting. Please re-read it.

I guess someone needs to do a HOW-TO with pics sometime.
 
Thread starter
lol you made it more confusing :)
Looking at real life pics, each adjuster IS at the very end of the swingarm, with the adjuster bolt at the very end.
 
Ok here are some pics of two common methods

#1 Using the marks on the swingarm method

Left side of wheel ...flat part of swingarm is 3 1/2 marks on the adjuster in as viewed from directly over head



right side of wheel.. flat part of swingarm is also 3 1/2 marks on the adjuster in as viewed from directly over head

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB1100%20chain%20adjust%20006_zpsbm4uyplq.jpg.html]

This method requires a bit of eyeballing but when adjusted to equal on both sides, that IMO is GOOD ENOUGH.

But lets check using another method:

Dial Caliper method

wire from dial caliper is extended and placed against flat part of swingarm, caliper slid down until it meets the back side of the adjuster on the left side of wheel..

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB1100%20chain%20adjust%20001_zps78o8ywtb.jpg.html]

measurement read

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB1100%20chain%20adjust%20003_zpsezzhidum.jpg.html]

Dial caliper is then moved to the right side of wheel and measured the same way

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB1100%20chain%20adjust%20002_zpsrrneuwxt.jpg.html]

measurement read

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB1100%20chain%20adjust%20004_zpsjepz8ljb.jpg.html]

both measurements should be very close to equal,( in this case they both measured exactly the same) but within a few thousandths of an inch would be acceptable to me.

If measurements are equal (or close) using either method, the wheel should be straight in the swingarm

OR IMO....GOOD ENOUGH!
 
Riko_imp said:
thx all!

Django, whats that last tool? Looks promising

Lord Popgun_imp said:
That would be a pain every time. Couldn't you just measure from the middle of the pivot to the end of the swingarm, verify it is the same on both sides and then use the micrometer like some of us do now? One time a pain then easy from then on.
by "end of the swingwarm" you mean that adjuster (item 4 image in link above) right?
You attach the tool to the driven sprocket and then you can eyeball the angle ot the sprocket (rear wheel) to the chain.

c2499cf17706b6d26f8ebe5547f190f2.jpg

Chain Alignment Tool Motorcycle Dirt Bike Motorcycle Scooter ATV : Amazon.de: Automotive

Somebody else posted a hint to this kind of tool already here in the forum, too. I just can't find it.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Ok here are some pics of two common methods

#1 Using the marks on the swingarm method

Left side of wheel ...flat part of swingarm is 3 1/2 marks on the adjuster in as viewed from directly over head



right side of wheel.. flat part of swingarm is also 3 1/2 marks on the adjuster in as viewed from directly over head

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB1100%20chain%20adjust%20006_zpsbm4uyplq.jpg.html]

This method requires a bit of eyeballing but when adjusted to equal on both sides, that IMO is GOOD ENOUGH.

But lets check using another method:

Dial Caliper method

wire from dial caliper is extended and placed against flat part of swingarm, caliper slid down until it meets the back side of the adjuster on the left side of wheel..

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB1100%20chain%20adjust%20001_zps78o8ywtb.jpg.html]

measurement read

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB1100%20chain%20adjust%20003_zpsezzhidum.jpg.html]

Dial caliper is then moved to the right side of wheel and measured the same way

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB1100%20chain%20adjust%20002_zpsrrneuwxt.jpg.html]

measurement read

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/CB1100%20chain%20adjust%20004_zpsjepz8ljb.jpg.html]

both measurements should be very close to equal,( in this case they both measured exactly the same) but within a few thousandths of an inch would be acceptable to me.

If measurements are equal (or close) using either method, the wheel should be straight in the swingarm

OR IMO....GOOD ENOUGH!

now this deserves a sticky!

thx a lot, I'm sure many owners here appreciate this as well. :thumbsup:
Django_imp said:
Django_imp said:
Somebody else posted a hint to this kind of tool already here in the forum, too. I just can't find it.
You attach the tool to the driven sprocket and then you can eyeball the angle ot the sprocket (rear wheel) to the chain.

e940e351ffea81984e2a7bf4c6c3695b.jpg

Chain Alignment Tool Motorcycle Dirt Bike Motorcycle Scooter ATV : Amazon.de: Automotive

Somebody else posted a hint to this kind of tool already here in the forum, too. I just can't find it.
thx for the link, this pictures says it all I think
2dd9e0a5acd61ea3d95fee19d6ca8daf.jpg
 
Thank you Ferret :worship:
Ferret, can you put your post in the HOW-TO?
 
Back
Top