Bar risers

Mixagon_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi, been riding my cb500x recently while its still under warranty but took the cb1100rs out the other day. I couldn't believe the discomfort I was in through slighty leaning more forward than the 500x :( pain in the hands and shoulders which wasn't there before so I'm thinking about trying back/risers I've seen on Amazon.
My question is has anyone fitted these to the RS and are the cables long enough for say 30mm higher and 21mm back.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Hi, been riding my cb500x recently while its still under warranty but took the cb1100rs out the other day. I couldn't believe the discomfort I was in through slighty leaning more forward than the 500x :( pain in the hands and shoulders which wasn't there before so I'm thinking about trying back/risers I've seen on Amazon.
My question is has anyone fitted these to the RS and are the cables long enough for say 30mm higher and 21mm back.
Is there a specific example of an implementation you could share? That is, a URL link to, or an image?
 
Thread starter
Tev62_imp said:
I have the Voigt up/back risers on my Triumph, nice quality product and a bit more useful than the riser only type if your bars are a bit of a reach.

Handlebar riser and offset for Honda CB 1100 / EX / RS SC65 SC78, 69,95 €
They are the ones I'm thinking of but wondered if they will fit on my RS ? The cables do not seem to have much spare and I suspect will be over stretched.

So far no as fitted them to a cb1100 it seems.
 
I've fitted some 'pivoting' bar risers to my RS, porches from the Bay of E's, but sorry, can't remember the manufacturer.

They give an approx 50mm rise and as the name suggests, you can pivot your bars forward or back. A search on that auction site with "pivoting bar risers" gives a good return.

No problem at all with cables.

- shows how the change in ergonomics works for me.

They take all of 10 minutes to fit or remove.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Tev62_imp said:
I have the Voigt up/back risers on my Triumph, nice quality product and a bit more useful than the riser only type if your bars are a bit of a reach.

Handlebar riser and offset for Honda CB 1100 / EX / RS SC65 SC78, 69,95 €
They are the ones I'm thinking of but wondered if they will fit on my RS ? The cables do not seem to have much spare and I suspect will be over stretched.

So far no as fitted them to a cb1100 it seems.
They are the ones I'm thinking of but wondered if they will fit on my RS ? The cables do not seem to have much spare and I suspect will be over stretched.

So far no as fitted them to a cb1100 it seems.
It might be handy to release the bars and just pop a couple of wooden off cuts underneath them to the rough distance they would move to. You would get a good feel for where the tight spots might end up and how it reacts on full lock either way.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Hi, been riding my cb500x recently while its still under warranty but took the cb1100rs out the other day. I couldn't believe the discomfort I was in through slighty leaning more forward than the 500x :( pain in the hands and shoulders which wasn't there before so I'm thinking about trying back/risers I've seen on Amazon.
My question is has anyone fitted these to the RS and are the cables long enough for say 30mm higher and 21mm back.
You'll have no issues with the cables:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15562&pid=274405#pid274405
 
Thread starter
Thanks for replies I've ordered 30mm risers and 20mm backwards with a 30 day return but hopefully they will be ok.
Also ordered some grip puppies as I want to try slightly thicker bars so I'll be experimenting soon. Will let you know how I get on.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
Thanks for replies I've ordered 30mm risers and 20mm backwards with a 30 day return but hopefully they will be ok.
Also ordered some grip puppies as I want to try slightly thicker bars so I'll be experimenting soon. Will let you know how I get on.
Overall I speculate you will like both decisions to improve the riding experience.
 
Thread starter
The risers and grip puppies arrived today so I tried the risers first, they looked well made but when offered up the holes were 4mm out of line so no chance of them fitting without a lot of filing and the holes would be to near the edge then so I've packed them up and got a returns label.
Will try the grip puppies tomorrow and see how they go.
 
Mixagon_imp said:
The risers and grip puppies arrived today so I tried the risers first, they looked well made but when offered up the holes were 4mm out of line so no chance of them fitting without a lot of filing and the holes would be to near the edge then so I've packed them up and got a returns label.
Will try the grip puppies tomorrow and see how they go.
Wow. That must have been an unexpected let down?
 
Mixagon_imp said:
The risers and grip puppies arrived today so I tried the risers first, they looked well made but when offered up the holes were 4mm out of line so no chance of them fitting without a lot of filing and the holes would be to near the edge then so I've packed them up and got a returns label.
Will try the grip puppies tomorrow and see how they go.
Did they send the wrong ones for your bike, I can't believe anyone would make such a basic mistake? They really advertised them for your bike and they are 4mm out?
 
Does seem weird. Any pics?
 
So..I too purchased and installed bar risers
(Rox Speed FX Elite Series). Since the front clutch cable was at an angle, I loosened the nut for less pull/more play. Now, my clutch doesn't work. How do I solve this?
 
kzoorue_imp said:
So..I too purchased and installed bar risers
(Rox Speed FX Elite Series). Since the front clutch cable was at an angle, I loosened the nut for less pull/more play. Now, my clutch doesn't work. How do I solve this?
Which nut?

Clutch is hydraulic. If you have loosened the hydraulic line, you'll need to make it tight again and bleed the system.

Make sure it's not leaking: it's a nasty and corrosive fluid.
 
jtopiso’s warning is a good one. DO NOT get the fluid on any painted surface. It will mess up your gas tank paint job and can ruin some plastics. I put a trash bag over my tank when bleeding the brakes or clutch.

Also, the fluid absorbs moisture from the air fairly rapidly. Only use a fresh unopened bottle of fluid for your bleeding/flushing. Never use opened bottles that you have around.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
jtopiso’s warning is a good one. DO NOT get the fluid on any painted surface. It will mess up your gas tank paint job and can ruin some plastics. I put a trash bag over my tank when bleeding the brakes or clutch.

Also, the fluid absorbs moisture from the air fairly rapidly. Only use a fresh unopened bottle of fluid for your bleeding/flushing. Never use opened bottles that you have around.
^^ +1 ^^
 
Back
Top