Bar End Mirrors: My Solution

x(why)z_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi there!

I've been after a set of bar end mirrors that retained my bar end weights for quite some time. I wanted to remain legal, while also making my bike a bit more aesthetically pleasing. I find myself using my mirrors very little for more than monitoring whether I'm going to be rear-ended at a red light, as I grew up riding mirrorless dirt bikes and being in the habit of obsessive shoulder checking.

With all that in mind, I set out to find my ideal product, but wasn't all that successful. What i did find were these little guys. The quality is higher than I anticipated, and the mirror, albeit small, is quite clear.



I didn't want to give up my weights, as I've gone down that path before and wasn't a fan of the increased vibration.

Instead, I used an 70mm M6-1.0 stainless bolt with the head removed to thread into the mirror where the ball adjustment was previously inserted. I locktited it in place.



From there, I simply used my new mirror/bolt combo with a stainless lock washer as a replacement for the bar end weight's former bolt.

The lateral aim of the mirror is just about perfect (after a bit of light coaxing courtesy of well applied heat), and the vertical adjustment is easy.

I am aware that this solution isn't for everyone, and that these much smaller mirrors may not tot he taste of many, however, for my application I am quite pleased.

Tomorrow I will install dust covers on the front fork, then wait for the snow to melt.





I gave my CB an oil change today, and a host of other small maintenance items in anticipation of spring arriving. After four months dormant, it fired right up.

And yes, I am running Lucas oil. I had 3 quarts remaining from my fall pre-winter storage oil change, but I'll likely go back to OEM oil for my next change.
 
So this is an oil thread now? :P

Very clever solution to your mirror mounting. I like it, and they look good! :thumbsup:
 
Interesting soultion. My son has those mirrors on his Ducati Monster. When I ride it I can't see squat out of the mirrors lol
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Interesting soultion. My son has those mirrors on his Ducati Monster. When I ride it I can't see squat out of the mirrors lol
They sure are tiny! I'm going to give them a try, and then maybe use the same principal on something a bit bigger. My bike has never seen an urban area bigger than 12,000 people, so I'm not worried about testing them out for a while.
 
Back
Top