Bar end mirrors for CB1100?

Rebel73_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Can anyone recommend any bar-end mirrors for the CB1100 Honda Type II bars? CRG makes some nice ones but they are not cheap and I don't know if they will fit. I don't mind coughing up the dough if I know they will work.
 
I've been thinking about bar end mirrors as well. From what I've read, the CRG mirrors are among the best. There are three ways that I know of to make them work for your bars. One is to buy the 7/8 inch adapter(s) and use that in place of the stock weighted bar ends. Another is to have the stock bar ends machined to accept the mirror clamp, and use those as the adapter. Still another way is to move your controls a bit, and clamp the mirror directly to the handlebar, eliminating the need for an adapter.
I haven't taken the plunge yet, but if I go with bar end mirrors I "ll use the adapter made for the mirrors on Renthal bars.
 
MikeD_imp said:
I've been thinking about bar end mirrors as well. From what I've read, the CRG mirrors are among the best. There are three ways that I know of to make them work for your bars. One is to buy the 7/8 inch adapter(s) and use that in place of the stock weighted bar ends. Another is to have the stock bar ends machined to accept the mirror clamp, and use those as the adapter. Still another way is to move your controls a bit, and clamp the mirror directly to the handlebar, eliminating the need for an adapter.
I haven't taken the plunge yet, but if I go with bar end mirrors I "ll use the adapter made for the mirrors on Renthal bars.
I'd like to do bar ends but don't want to ditch the weight system. May go the machined route. There are a number of Chinese knockoffs of the CRG/ Rizoma mirrors on eBay that are quite good, and 1/4 the price. I've got a pair, not bar ends, quite happy with them.
 
I'm not contemplating bar-end mirrors and nor do I want to ditch the weight system because I naively believe that Honda installed it for a reason. However, I did want to make the observation that I lost a bar-end weight on a recent ride. I didn't notice. Nor did I notice when I went on another 100 km plus ride. Indeed, I didn't notice until I was looking at some photos to post on a ride report.

While it says a good deal about my lack of attention to detail, it also says that the loss of the weight did not, for me anyway, make an appreciable difference.
 
My add to this is if you split at all those mirrors will make a major difference as to where you can safely split because of the extra width they will add to the bike.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, guys. I've been looking at the CRGs and they look like great mirrors. They do have a "lanesplitter" model that fold in. I'm thinking the machined bar end option is a good one.
Cormanus_imp said:
I'm not contemplating bar-end mirrors and nor do I want to ditch the weight system because I naively believe that Honda installed it for a reason. However, I did want to make the observation that I lost a bar-end weight on a recent ride. I didn't notice. Nor did I notice when I went on another 100 km plus ride. Indeed, I didn't notice until I was looking at some photos to post on a ride report.

While it says a good deal about my lack of attention to detail, it also says that the loss of the weight did not, for me anyway, make an appreciable difference.
Funny you say that, Cormanus. I lost my right bar end weight as well on my last ride! Fortunately my buddy with Renthal bars on his Cb1100 is giving me his spare black ones. I think I may use some Loc-tite this time around!
Randy B_imp said:
My add to this is if you split at all those mirrors will make a major difference as to where you can safely split because of the extra width they will add to the bike.
There are some bar end mirrors that can turn inward so they do not reduce clearance. Looking at those, too.
Something like this:
 
I have CRG mirrors fit on the stock bar ends by having them turned down on a lathe. It's incredibly easy and looks good.

The CRG mirrors aren't cheap, but they are incredibly well made. I've never tightened or adjusted them since I got them perfect, and between the dampened bar ends and the rubber isolators built into the CRG' themselves, they are erily clear under any conditions.

I have the version 2.0. They are up to version 3.0 now, so you may be able to find the older ones cheaper. I like the old ones better, as they are a bit more retro -- the 3.0 are more styled/streamlined.

Also, I have the lanesplitter version, which I think is worth it. Not only for splitting, but for parking or moving around in garages etc... the bike gets pretty wide with ~3.5" added to each side.
 
Thread starter
kmoney_imp said:
I have CRG mirrors fit on the stock bar ends by having them turned down on a lathe. It's incredibly easy and looks good.

The CRG mirrors aren't cheap, but they are incredibly well made. I've never tightened or adjusted them since I got them perfect, and between the dampened bar ends and the rubber isolators built into the CRG' themselves, they are erily clear under any conditions.

I have the version 2.0. They are up to version 3.0 now, so you may be able to find the older ones cheaper. I like the old ones better, as they are a bit more retro -- the 3.0 are more styled/streamlined.

Also, I have the lanesplitter version, which I think is worth it. Not only for splitting, but for parking or moving around in garages etc... the bike gets pretty wide with ~3.5" added to each side.
Would you happen to have a photo? :D
 
I loved having bar end mirrors, but the need to lane-split forced me to go back to the stock mirrors. Curious to what you end up with - good luck!
 
Thread starter
c-breezy_imp said:
I loved having bar end mirrors, but the need to lane-split forced me to go back to the stock mirrors. Curious to what you end up with - good luck!
Yeah, being in L.A. I don't want to limit lanesplitting. I'll let you know what I decide on.
 
I have Ken Sean and I like them. They have lots of different shapes. I have different bars too. No weights as per stock. No vibration issues for me ;)
I have the rectangular models on the XSR.
 
Thread starter
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
I have Ken Sean and I like them. They have lots of different shapes. I have different bars too. No weights as per stock. No vibration issues for me ;)
I have the rectangular models on the XSR.
MG, what kind of bars do you have? I understand the Renthal bars are thicker, which is why they probably dampen vibration ok without weights?
 
9361d13b13844401c2d0147e987b5c65.jpg


9509256d1d1b13b5a11ad8c72b25dd23.jpg


I should have some more too... These are all I have, from 2 years ago, and I'm not close to my bike again till Friday night....
 
Back
Top