Balanced and Beautiful!

ride4now_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I was back home in Ga. last week and rode both my Superglide and my KLR over the weekend. I couldn't beleive how 'heavy' the front end felt on my HD. it really took some getting used to but after a while it was no big deal as I put some miles and time on the bike. Fast forward to this weekend and I'm out on the CB for the first time in about a month and wow...I can't believe how well 'balanced' this motorcycle is. The front end feels light and the bike felt extremely 'flick-able', not like a sport bike, but like how a full sized street motorcycle ought to feel. Now I hope this doesn't turn in to a Harley bashing thread (I love my HD and the Motor Company for all sorts of reasons) but I can't beleive the difference between the two machines. Between the sound of the engine, the smoothness of the gearbox, and the overall 'feel' the motorcycle delivers to the rider...WOW! Beauty and Balance is what defines this particular motorcycle. But of course...we all already knew that...right?
 
ride4now_imp said:
I was back home in Ga. last week and rode both my Superglide and my KLR over the weekend. I couldn't beleive how 'heavy' the front end felt on my HD. it really took some getting used to but after a while it was no big deal as I put some miles and time on the bike. Fast forward to this weekend and I'm out on the CB for the first time in about a month and wow...I can't believe how well 'balanced' this motorcycle is. The front end feels light and the bike felt extremely 'flick-able', not like a sport bike, but like how a full sized street motorcycle ought to feel. Now I hope this doesn't turn in to a Harley bashing thread (I love my HD and the Motor Company for all sorts of reasons) but I can't beleive the difference between the two machines. Between the sound of the engine, the smoothness of the gearbox, and the overall 'feel' the motorcycle delivers to the rider...WOW! Beauty and Balance is what defines this particular motorcycle. But of course...we all already knew that...right?
What year SuperGlide?
 
ride4now_imp said:
I was back home in Ga. last week and rode both my Superglide and my KLR over the weekend. I couldn't beleive how 'heavy' the front end felt on my HD. it really took some getting used to but after a while it was no big deal as I put some miles and time on the bike. Fast forward to this weekend and I'm out on the CB for the first time in about a month and wow...I can't believe how well 'balanced' this motorcycle is. The front end feels light and the bike felt extremely 'flick-able', not like a sport bike, but like how a full sized street motorcycle ought to feel. Now I hope this doesn't turn in to a Harley bashing thread (I love my HD and the Motor Company for all sorts of reasons) but I can't beleive the difference between the two machines. Between the sound of the engine, the smoothness of the gearbox, and the overall 'feel' the motorcycle delivers to the rider...WOW! Beauty and Balance is what defines this particular motorcycle. But of course...we all already knew that...right?
Mate, how could you even think that of your fellow forum members. By the way, do you have Love/Hate knuckle ink? :)

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
ride4now_imp said:
I was back home in Ga. last week and rode both my Superglide and my KLR over the weekend. I couldn't beleive how 'heavy' the front end felt on my HD. it really took some getting used to but after a while it was no big deal as I put some miles and time on the bike. Fast forward to this weekend and I'm out on the CB for the first time in about a month and wow...I can't believe how well 'balanced' this motorcycle is. The front end feels light and the bike felt extremely 'flick-able', not like a sport bike, but like how a full sized street motorcycle ought to feel. Now I hope this doesn't turn in to a Harley bashing thread (I love my HD and the Motor Company for all sorts of reasons) but I can't beleive the difference between the two machines. Between the sound of the engine, the smoothness of the gearbox, and the overall 'feel' the motorcycle delivers to the rider...WOW! Beauty and Balance is what defines this particular motorcycle. But of course...we all already knew that...right?
Mate, how could you even think that of your fellow forum members. By the way, do you have Love/Hate knuckle ink? :)

Cheers
By the way, do you have Love/Hate knuckle ink? :)

Cheers
Now THAT was funny :rofl:
 
Thread starter
The thought of 'fringe' was the real laugh.... not all Harley riders are cut from the same cloth...err leather. Where's the smiley's when you need them????
 
ride4now_imp said:
The thought of 'fringe' was the real laugh.... not all Harley riders are cut from the same cloth...err leather. Where's the smiley's when you need them????
So, not birds of a leather, so to speak. Anyway I better not be too cheeky as I may hire a Harley when I visit the States in May. Never having riden a cruiser of any variety I may need some advice before throwing a leg over one of those low slung monsters.

Cheers.
And, in reality, a bike is a bike. Postie or big bore, they all are loved by someone.

Cheers again.
 
Balance has always been the word for me that best sums up the CB11. The first time I tried one I was so impressed with the general balance, and it is the best balanced bike I have ever ridden. Some might provide more of one thing such as power, and some will provide better handling etc., but the CB11 is just so right.

Sometimes friends question the price of the bike, saying that it seems over priced because it doesn't offer anything special. There are cheaper bikes that are more innovative coming loaded with electronic gadgets controlling this and that. There are cheaper bikes that certainly have more power, and cheaper bikes that have better suspension etc. My answer is always to just try it, and it is only then you can understand what Honda has done with this bike. Sometimes less really is more...
 
I completely agree, Henrik. My 1981 CB900 that I owned until recently was completely restored by a professional shop. As much as it could be said, it was like new. Really really strong engine, pretty good brakes, and the seat was very plush. But if I rode it hard, it felt like all the weight was right where the engine was, it didn't feel nicely balanced like our 1100s. As nice as everything was, each system wasn't quite as smooth as the new CB1100. Honda really got it right with our bikes.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
I completely agree, Henrik. My 1981 CB900 that I owned until recently was completely restored by a professional shop. As much as it could be said, it was like new. Really really strong engine, pretty good brakes, and the seat was very plush. But if I rode it hard, it felt like all the weight was right where the engine was, it didn't feel nicely balanced like our 1100s. As nice as everything was, each system wasn't quite as smooth as the new CB1100. Honda really got it right with our bikes.
That was right along the time period when Honda went to 16" front tires on their superbikes. They knew what worked. I think the fj 1100 was next with the 16. When the cb1100 came out, it was love at first sight for me.
 
Back
Top