I hope you don't mind me chiming in about making eye contact with drivers -- and I only say it in the same spirit of what you said.Scoobynut_imp said:CB4ME, very glad to hear you're in a better room now, and on the mend. I hope you don't mind me chiming in about making eye contact with drivers -- and I only say it in the same spirit of what you said. I've had drivers who were looking right at me still pull out in front of me. One thing I've started doing in those country intersection situations is flash my brights on and off (while covering both brakes just in case), which seems to get the driver's attention and/or seems to warn them off from pulling out. It may also make them hesitate long enough to where they calculate that it's become too late to pull out into traffic. This tactic may not have made any difference in your case, but I still think it can reduce these incidents in some cases.CB4ME_imp said:Quick update: New room with a view, physical therapy in progress, in a wheel chair, eating in the dinning room, weaning off pain meds.
Pelvis is the worst of it, preventing any weight on right leg. Going to be around 6 weeks before I can make real progress and escape to a new house my wife is finagling that has easy access. We'll be renting our existing house and buying the new one.
Everyone ride safe and try to make eye contact with drivers waiting at intersections.
My 20 year old son rides now, and I have drilled into him to assume that no one, I mean absolutely no one, sees him when he's on his bike.
In any event, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents in the hope that we can save the next guy from going through what you are going through. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a fat settlement. I'm not a litigious person, but in your case I would have zero qualms about suing their pants off, church van or not.
CB4ME, I hope you don't me chiming in too, but the one time in my riding life I went on an advanced rider course, the instructor was at pains to say to me that seeking eye contact is not a good plan as you can never tell whether you've really established it. He told me "watch the front wheels and, of they start to move, do whatever you have to!" It makes sense to me.
I'd worry about that as, in Australia at least, people often flash their lights at you when they are inviting you in to the traffic.Scoobynut_imp said:CB4ME, very glad to hear you're in a better room now, and on the mend. I hope you don't mind me chiming in about making eye contact with drivers -- and I only say it in the same spirit of what you said. I've had drivers who were looking right at me still pull out in front of me. One thing I've started doing in those country intersection situations is flash my brights on and off (while covering both brakes just in case), which seems to get the driver's attention and/or seems to warn them off from pulling out. It may also make them hesitate long enough to where they calculate that it's become too late to pull out into traffic. This tactic may not have made any difference in your case, but I still think it can reduce these incidents in some cases.CB4ME_imp said:Quick update: New room with a view, physical therapy in progress, in a wheel chair, eating in the dinning room, weaning off pain meds.
Pelvis is the worst of it, preventing any weight on right leg. Going to be around 6 weeks before I can make real progress and escape to a new house my wife is finagling that has easy access. We'll be renting our existing house and buying the new one.
Everyone ride safe and try to make eye contact with drivers waiting at intersections.
My 20 year old son rides now, and I have drilled into him to assume that no one, I mean absolutely no one, sees him when he's on his bike.
In any event, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents in the hope that we can save the next guy from going through what you are going through. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and a fat settlement. I'm not a litigious person, but in your case I would have zero qualms about suing their pants off, church van or not.
In any case, I haven't had anyone accept my 'invitation' yet, but yes you are correct in pointing out that it could mean something else in a different setting. Any input by any of us that can make us safer is worth discussing, so your input also deserves full consideration. 

So I don't have to care or worry about my health insurance.