Bad Accident

CB4ME_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
September 18 was a warn sunny day in north central Maryland and I was on my way to meet my wife at our grandson’s 3rd birthday. All was quiet on a leisurely ride in the countryside. I was approaching a small bridge and spotted a large church van waiting to pull out of a side road just past the bridge.

That van suddenly pulled out right in front of me as I was less than 25ft away and approaching at just under the speed limit.

As soon as this amazing sight sank in, I instinctively dropped the bike down hard to the right.

When I regained consciousness I found myself under the van and pinned on the left side by my bike.

Several sets of legs were in my field of vision. I was very hot and the bike pushing down my left side chest and shoulder was very uncomfortable.

The bike was removed and a board was placed under my back. My wife was later told that they had to pry the broken brake lever from my right hand. My leather jacket and jeans were cut from my body and helmet removed. The helmet was reportedly covered with blood and the face shield was missing. This modular helmet did not unlatch and I suffered only superficial cuts. I did not see my bike, gear or the van as they had a collar on my neck, just tree tops and the inside of an ambulance.

I was transported past the nearest hospital and further down the road to the John Hopkins Trauma Center in Baltimore, MD, I spent the first 5 days in the ICU undergoing 4 surgeries.

I suffered 8 fractured ribs and a collapsed lung on the left side, a severely broken clavicle and collarbone on the left side, 3 broken pieces of lower spine, a pelvis bone broken on 2 sides, a broken thumb, heavy bruising and road rash.

I’ve been in recovery an additional 8 days and am scheduled to go to a rehab center for 30- 60 days (they want an upfront down payment of $22, 700 to secure a bed).

I’m told the bike is totaled (they charged $400 to tow it to my house) but I may not see it in person for a couple more months.

The docs say I was one tough cookie but it will take several more weeks to stabilize my pelvis and clavicle enough before I can hope to try walking.

Worst motorcycle accident of my life but my gear saved my life. I’m not sure what my future in motorcycling holds but will take things one day at a time. Meanwhile I will enjoy my down time reading this forum (lots of catching up to do).
 
SO sorry to hear this CB4ME. Certainly my prayers are with you for a speedy and full recovery, but it sounds as if your injuries won't allow the speedy part. Dang man, that's bad, but certainly thrilled that you are still among us and able to communicate. Hate to think that we all take similar risks every day. Glad you were geared up and that your helmet did it's job.

I would think the Church would be resposible for the rehab center ( and everything else) and can't fathom why they would want an upfront payment.

Please stay in touch and let us know how things are going, and if there is anything I can send you, a book or magazines or whatever to help ease the down time, please don't hesitate to ask.
 
Oh, geez, CB4ME, that's awful news! I'm glad you're able to tell us about it, but so sorry to hear of your injuries.

Very best wishes for a rapid recovery. I hope it's as comfortable as it can be.
 
Really sorry to hear that CB. Take it easy and get well soon.
 
Dang it CB, that's a bad one. So glad you are alive to tell the tale. You are on our prayer list and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
 
Sorry to hear this. I know you don't know me, but if you have a paypal or make a fund page, I want to contribute to you.

Can you please tell us exactly what all gear you were wearing?

Fear of broken ribs and collapsed lungs is exactly why I purchased the optional chest inserts and back pad for my Dainese jacket.
 
If it is any consolation to you at all, that is one well-written description of your crash and the aftermath. Heal up fast. :)
 
Whee, that's bad news! Glad, you're are still with us. I wish you all the best and an uncomplicated and full recovery! That sounds like a lot of pain. Don't mind about the bike. That's not important so far.
 
Wow. All my hopes for the best possible outcome with your recovery. And I agree that the Church should be covering all of your medical expenses. I would be contacting the best accident attorney I could find, and make sure that he/she is well versed with motorcycle accidents.
Unfortunately this is going to be a life changer and that needs to be taken into account. Do be afraid to sue just because it was a church vehicle that cause the accident. You need to take care of you first...period.
Good luck with all that is ahead of you.
 
CB, that is horrible, and please know that everyone here on this board is here for you. Keep the faith, take time to heal, and stay positive.
 
I'm so sorry to hear this. Like everyone on this forum, my sincere thoughts and prayers go to you for a speedy and complete recovery. We are here for you in full support. Please let us know how we can help.
 
Thread starter
Thanks everyone. I'm very positive, have been taken very good care of, and am looking forward to seeing my 3 dogs and 2 cats soon.

My wife has been amazing and has handling everything. We have a good lawyer and the chance of a good settlement looks very promising.

I'll be close to home at the rehab center and will work hard to exceed expected recovery time.

As far as gear, a Schubert C3 modular helmet, heavy buffalo leather jacket, jeans and boots. I couldn't find my summer groves, didn't want to be late, and left without them. Pretty nasty looking knuckles.

Time from danger detection to impact was less than a second and I am not beating myself up that I could or should have done anything different. It was either get on the ground NOW or arrive DOA.

I'm overwhelmed by all the support and even getting calls from long lost relatives. Thanks again.
 
WOW

Glad that you are still with us. Praying for quick recovery.

I keep preaching ATGATT to all of my friends. Some still cannot see the need.

A year ago my friend hit a deer. He had similar injuries. 6 broken ribs, a punctured lung, a collapsed lung, severe fracture of his left lower leg. He was in intensive care for a week and a half and was kept semi conscious. When he was finally released from intensive care and transferred to a regular room, the ER doctor that treated him came in to check on him. She said that normally patients as banged up as he was do not make it. Yes he was ATGATT.
 
CB4ME,

My heart and prayers go out to you. I wish you speedy and full recovery.

Reading of your accident gave me a vivid flash back of my accident July of 2010. I won’t go into details other than it was caused by a 16 year old who purchased his used dirt bike an hour before the accident. He had no riding experience, insurance or money. I would feel guilty talking about my pain or recovery, imagining the obstacles you are faced with.

My wife was riding behind me on her bike and safely witnessed my accident. She said I had one second before impact and no way I could have reacted any better than I did. I still replay my accident over in my head thinking of how I could have reacted better or faster. I have always believed in plenty of training and practice. But inevitably there will be circumstances where you can’t avoid an accident. My advice to everyone is to dress like you’re going to be in a crash. My brother in-law who is a MSF and Harley riding instructor has a saying “only cover the parts of your body you care about”. I keep my damaged full face helmet and jacket as a reminder of why I always wear gear.


Most important is to get well and realize the road to recovery will not be a straight line. Keep a positive attitude and how you will be able to celebrate future birthdays with your grandson. Support from your wife, family & friends are invaluable. You mentioned you have a good lawyer, make sure you have an attorney with plenty of vehicle accident experience.

We look forward to hearing your progress. Thanks for sharing!
 
Very sorry to hear about your accident CB. In these days of distracted and mad drivers, it is something we all fear on every ride. Glad that despite all the pain and recovery challenges, you are keeping a good outlook and have lots of support! Best wishes for your future health and happiness!
 
Back
Top