Bad Accident - Pictures

Thread starter
My wife received a letter saying that an insurance adjuster is coming to look at my bike on Monday. It came with a warning not to touch the bike in any way. They may offer us a check but we'll run it past the lawyer first before accepting. Takashi put together a spreadsheet of all the current mods. He is a true friend. We may not recoup anything beyond base value but the insurance company will be informed.

Therapy is going great and I'm finally adjusting to rehab living, racing the halls in a wheelchair. I'm looking to get out in a couple weeks. Then I need to wait another month or two before the doctors are comfortable that my pelvis is stabilized enough to complete final therapy and shed the wheelchair and walker.

Can't wait until 2017 and a fresh start. Thanks again to everyone for all your well wishes.

EDIT: I was surprised that the handlebar snapped off the way it did. Is this a common occurrence in moderately low speed accidents?
.
 
Bouncing back from injuries like yours that require PT takes a positive attitude and it sounds like you're doing fine in that department!! Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery and I hope there's a new CB1100 RS in your future!!!
 
The handlebar was one of the first thing I noticed too. I've seen clip-ons snap like that all the time, but I always thought tube steel would just bend but not break. Weird.
 
Dang...I go out into the garage and look at mine all shiny-ed up and then I look at these photos of yours...it reminds me that in the end it is just a hunk of metal, rubber and plastic and that the important thing is that you are here telling us about your recovery.
 
I'm with Rocky, hoping there weren't any personal pics. I have pics on my phone of dUh after his accident and I run into them occasionally. Hard to look at, a solid reminder to gear up. Glad your on the mend, seriously good attitude !
 
CB4ME_imp said:
My wife received a letter saying that an insurance adjuster is coming to look at my bike on Monday. It came with a warning not to touch the bike in any way. They may offer us a check but we'll run it past the lawyer first before accepting. Takashi put together a spreadsheet of all the current mods. He is a true friend. We may not recoup anything beyond base value but the insurance company will be informed.

Therapy is going great and I'm finally adjusting to rehab living, racing the halls in a wheelchair. I'm looking to get out in a couple weeks. Then I need to wait another month or two before the doctors are comfortable that my pelvis is stabilized enough to complete final therapy and shed the wheelchair and walker.

Can't wait until 2017 and a fresh start. Thanks again to everyone for all your well wishes.

EDIT: I was surprised that the handlebar snapped off the way it did. Is this a common occurrence in moderately low speed accidents?
.
My feeling is this because you said you were under the church vehicle. The bike was most likely wedged in there and being forced between the vehicle and the ground is what most likely snapped the bars.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
My wife received a letter saying that an insurance adjuster is coming to look at my bike on Monday. It came with a warning not to touch the bike in any way. They may offer us a check but we'll run it past the lawyer first before accepting. Takashi put together a spreadsheet of all the current mods. He is a true friend. We may not recoup anything beyond base value but the insurance company will be informed.

Therapy is going great and I'm finally adjusting to rehab living, racing the halls in a wheelchair. I'm looking to get out in a couple weeks. Then I need to wait another month or two before the doctors are comfortable that my pelvis is stabilized enough to complete final therapy and shed the wheelchair and walker.

Can't wait until 2017 and a fresh start. Thanks again to everyone for all your well wishes.

EDIT: I was surprised that the handlebar snapped off the way it did. Is this a common occurrence in moderately low speed accidents?
.
Good idea, although there is no connection between bodily injury and property damage, insurance companies can not be trusted in there verbiage. Let your attorney handle any compensation claims. Insurance companies usually won't speak with you once you are represented.
 
I would hope that I would be able to maintain my composure as well as you have in such circumstance CB. A positive attitude is so important for healing the mind and body. Our continued prayers for your speedy recovery.
 
the insurance company is responsible to make your bike "whole" in other words just as it was, so they should pay for any accessories and mods as well. They make ask for receipts though and not pay for any you don't have receipts for.(at least that is my understanding)
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
the insurance company is responsible to make your bike "whole" in other words just as it was, so they should pay for any accessories and mods as well. They make ask for receipts though and not pay for any you don't have receipts for.(at least that is my understanding)
I have all the receipts and will ask my wife to send to our lawyer.

The driver was insured but with low caps. Twelve days and 4 operations at John Hopkins was roughly estimated to cost well over $200K. I'm sure the price will be negotiated down, but we aren't looking to make a dime and may likely have some skin in the game.

Next week is practice getting in and out of our car. Already have a wheelchair picked out (less than $200) and Marie's mom has a walker and shower seat. Escaping this joint soon!
 
The ferret_imp said:
the insurance company is responsible to make your bike "whole" in other words just as it was, so they should pay for any accessories and mods as well. They make ask for receipts though and not pay for any you don't have receipts for.(at least that is my understanding)

That is not true. The entire reason some bikes and cars cost more to insure, (besides increased chances of accidents & claims) is increased cost to repair.

They are insuring the bike based on the stock parts. You want more coverage- it will cost more money. Typically then goes to an agreed value policy. You tell them what you think it is worth with paperwork, what the value is you want covered, and they charge you an appropriately increased rate price.

You can't buy a bike for 8k, pay insurance rates for THAT bike, put 3k in mods and expect the insurance company to pay 11k worth.

Not to mention depreciation and what they claim is current value..always a fun argument.

I just paid 8k OTD for my leftover '14 standard in July. Wouldn't surprise me if an insurance company would try to pay out 5k if totaled, and that is for the bike stock. Would I argue? Sure. But the cards are in their hands. It would be a pile of paperwork on my end showing actual used sales, not asking prices..along with many many phone calls I am sure.
 
PD...it's not his insurance/company it's the other drivers insurance company. If another person is at fault, it is their insurance company's responsibility to make me whole again, as if nothing ever happened to me. They have to cover medical bills, property damage, missed work, pain and suffering, and if the ins they carry isn't enough, you can sue to get a judgement against the at fault drivers personal property.

Been there, done that.

My company State Farm automatically covers my bike for $ 1,000 worth of accessories and I can buy additional coverage if I wish, so that if I wrecked my bike (my fault) they would be covered.
 
Yes, in theory the other guy's insurance should make you whole. Rarely works like that and the insurance companies know it. The cost to sue many times wouldn't be worth it. My wife was involved in an accident where she was stopped at a light- a kid hit the car behind her, shoved it into her. She is still fighting many bills and that was well over a year ago. Suck.s
 
I'm not an attorney, and I don't play one on TV, but I would like to caution our friend CB4ME that everything he posts on this forum may be admissible in a court of law. At a minimum, the insurance company of the at-fault driver may be very interested to read what he's writing and could possibly subpoena it and use it against him. Or not -- I don't know. I'd just suggest he be very careful with what he volunteers publicly.
 
Back
Top