Back to Regular Oil - Bad for Engine?

bertypower_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Alright... I was talking to the parts guy at my local Honda dealership. I said that I wanted to go back to regular oil in my CB1100. Previous owner used synthetic. He said that I could ruin the engine if I did so. I’ve seen posts on here about people going back and fourth. Can you guys who have done so clarify this? Thanks!

I plan on changing the oil about every 3-4000 miles.

Thanks!
 
These bikes would run off Crisco.

You can use anything just about. The whole "going back to dino from synthetic is bad" is a myth.

I just use sythetic out of habit..
 
Thread starter
Rox_imp said:
These bikes would run off Crisco.

You can use anything just about. The whole "going back to dino from synthetic is bad" is a myth.

I just use sythetic out of habit..
Yeah I thought that sounded kinda looney. The guy was so adamant...lol.
 
I've had bikes that were run on full-syn and at the first change I went back to dead dinosaurs. The bike ran smoother, with less mechanical noise, revved better, and with less vibration. Of course, this is all butt-dyno data. When I had the Yami FJR, I went onto their forum to look around, and of course checked oil recommendations. They had only one oil thread, which was: RUN ANY DARN OIL YOU WANT!
 
I think that parts guy was just trying to sell you more synthetic oil.
His advice was, shall we say, less than truthful, ill-informed and technically unsound :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
 
Thread starter
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I've had bikes that were run on full-syn and at the first change I went back to dead dinosaurs. The bike ran smoother, with less mechanical noise, revved better, and with less vibration. Of course, this is all butt-dyno data. When I had the Yami FJR, I went onto their forum to look around, and of course checked oil recommendations. They had only one oil thread, which was: RUN ANY DARN OIL YOU WANT!
:excited:
 
bertypower_imp said:
Alright... I was talking to the parts guy at my local Honda dealership. I said that I wanted to go back to regular oil in my CB1100. Previous owner used synthetic. He said that I could ruin the engine if I did so. I’ve seen posts on here about people going back and fourth. Can you guys who have done so clarify this? Thanks!

I plan on changing the oil about every 3-4000 miles.

Thanks!
Been to automotive business over four decades and my answer is: bull s**t.
 
Don't you know that if you switch back from synthetic to dino, that all of your gaskets will start leaking, and you'll burn up your bearings?!

At least that's what I've been told...
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Don't you know that if you switch back from synthetic to dino, that all of your gaskets will start leaking, and you'll burn up your bearings?!

At least that's what I've been told...
That sound like a HOAX !
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Don't you know that if you switch back from synthetic to dino, that all of your gaskets will start leaking, and you'll burn up your bearings?!

At least that's what I've been told...
I've heard it said that if you have an older bike, like "vintage", that has been run on dino oil and you switch it over to full-syn, all your seals and gaskets start to leak due to the syn molecule being much smaller than the dino ones.
 
Thread starter
treedoc_imp said:
Who ya going to believe, the Honda technician or some random dudes off the internet? :rofl:
Update: So the first guy I talked to was the parts salesman. Not sure if he’s Honda certified or not. But... I did talk to a certified tech whom I trust . He’s done very good work in the past on two of my bikes.

He said it shouldn’t matter on a low milage vehicle to switch back. There is a very small chance that it would cause some leaks. My bike has 11.5K on it now and is leaking. Those seals will be replaced (right and left crank case covers) . When they do the valve clearance the head gasket will be swapped out as well.

I’m contemplating just doing the covers myself and saving some $$. I guess I’d be out my time and parts. Just don’t wanna screw anything up.
 
Hi bertypower, it was a tongue in cheek comment, there are a lot of switched on guys in here.

I'm not sure if I would run it on Crisco though... hur hur hur
 
Thread starter
treedoc_imp said:
Hi bertypower, it was a tongue in cheek comment, there are a lot of switched on guys in here.

I'm not sure if I would run it on Crisco though... hur hur hur
Totally get it. ;-)
 
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Gone in 60_imp said:
Don't you know that if you switch back from synthetic to dino, that all of your gaskets will start leaking, and you'll burn up your bearings?!

At least that's what I've been told...
I've heard it said that if you have an older bike, like "vintage", that has been run on dino oil and you switch it over to full-syn, all your seals and gaskets start to leak due to the syn molecule being much smaller than the dino ones.
I've heard it said that if you have an older bike, like "vintage", that has been run on dino oil and you switch it over to full-syn, all your seals and gaskets start to leak due to the syn molecule being much smaller than the dino ones.
Hope it is not true, i just switched the 'old' 1980 GS750 to MOTUL 7100 4T Full Synthetic.
 
Gone, apparently a lot of people believe it though. Google shows that in debunking myth threads.
 
Not wanting to start a controversial discussion, but we somehow got our new Honda Odyssey minivans oil changed well before the recommended first oil change only because we got the automated dealer email. We never drove the van initially and it was well below the miles or age of the van.

I remember the drama after the first oil change was completed that one of the old school service tech who checked me out was actually po'd with the morning service tech should have rejected my request for oil change as I still had the “ break in“ oil well under the time /mil spec. I was even silently told by the tech that’s it it’s all about the $$ in his dealership these days with a sigh !

I didn’t think much of it back then but kudos to the tech who told me about the “break in” oil back in the day which may or
May not be true for modern vehicles. No big deal, but the tech told me that the break in oil was a slight different composition or even slightly used oil on new dealership Honda’s back in the day
4252057ad1b916460f847d4b102d01ae.png
4fc490105254c987f083b404dfd5636d.png


I googled the topic on the break in oil and there’s a whole lot of info on break in oil vs new factory oil on vehicles ..

Coming back to the CB I was shocked how especially the front fork oil looked so burnt and stinky when I changed it with very few miles so it got me
Thinking about what oil is actually delivered not only in the
motor BUT also in the forks.

I imagine like it’s doesn’t even matter in the long run as I’m not that anal about oils. But imagine some someone so particular about the oil topic in all applications ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top