Back on the CB

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
So I used the CB for commuting duties a few days this week. It was nice to be back out on a bike again, but jeez it was certainly not all fun and good times. Normally to get to my workplace I'd stick to surface roads, but the bridge that I use for my preferred route is closed for a number of months so I'm riding primarily on the freeway. Translation : "free to sit in traffic". The traffic in Portland is getting worse every year and being out in it on a bike around here at times is just not that much fun (this will come as no surprise to The ferret, lol.)

Side Note: this reminds me of the comedian Stephen Wright who said something to the effect of Why is it called a driveway when you just park there, and why do you drive on a parkway?

To make matters worse, I was running an errand yesterday afternoon. Traffic was still crappy, but not nearly as bad as at rush hour. There was room for cars to move without stopping. Which made the fact that sometime intentionally tried to take me out all the more frustrating. I was on the freeway when someone rushes up next to me in some sort of Range Rover crossover type vehicle. They clearly new I was in the lane where they wanted to be and just started merging right into me regardless, and quickly. They then proceeded to play the same game with a few other folks in cars. What is up with people?

The language filter that I've installed would edit my true thoughts on this matter so I won't bother, lol. But I've got to say that for as excited as I was to get out on a bike again, the past week left me very disappointed with the overall situation. I guess I'm overdue to take the CB out for a ride that does not involve being in the city.
 
Gee Guth, I had always imagined Portland to be a place where everyone was courteous, kind and laid back. It's sad to hear you have your share of sociopaths driving 2-ton 4-wheeled vehicles. :(

On a positive note, it's good to hear you are riding again. :) Try Sunday mornings on back roads away from the city.
 
Saturday the 3rd of June 2017

Guth, glad to read that you are back on the bike.
It is a sorry state to be confronted with those lacking manners when on the road.
I wonder if the rush some are in is so great that they forget where they are going.

Regards and all the best for the warm months from down-under.

"caution cemetery ahead"
 
Geez Guth It was the same back in the mid 70's. I worked as a mechanic in a motorcycle shop on Terwilliger Blvd. I sometimes ran small parts on my bike. I was always looking for places to get off the road because of the same situation as you, someone else wanting the spot that I was in.
Kevin
 
Thread starter
curlyjoe_imp said:
Gee Guth, I had always imagined Portland to be a place where everyone was courteous, kind and laid back. It's sad to hear you have your share of sociopaths driving 2-ton 4-wheeled vehicles. :(

On a positive note, it's good to hear you are riding again. :) Try Sunday mornings on back roads away from the city.
Fortunately, there are still quite a few courteous, kind and laid back individuals around. You just have to always keep an eye out for those who aren't.
 
I'm afraid they're all over the world, Guth. The fools, that is. I met one yesterday driving my car on the freeway.
 
That's why I have a concealed carry. Just kidding. I came up with an idea years ago. You carry a paint ball gun, tag the idiot drivers. Then at least you will know who to look out for.
 
Good to hear you are back riding some buddy. Watch out for the loonies. They are everywhere. I had to "horn" one back over in his lane in Indianapolis on my way home form the rally. He had no clue I was there. He had no clue there were other people in the world lol
 
Portland's been in the headlines recently, in a not-too-faltering way. It's sad how the actions of one crazed individual can sully the image of an entire town.
 
Glad to hear your back on the road these days. I've always been daunted by the traffic in Portland. Seems like there's always a bridge under construction.

Since I retired recently, I've begun planning my around town trips at times when everyone else is at work. It's a lot better, but no guarantee that you won't run across nutcases in cages.

Get out of town and get the fun back!
 
Thread starter
It's happened to me before on the freeway where someone looked right at me and then just cut right into the space I happened to be occupying. In that case, they wanted to take the exit that was fast approaching, and it felt like "Sorry, but your bike doesn't stand a chance against my car and I really need to be in the lane where you're at so that I can exit. So move out of the way or suffer the consequences". The experience this past week was even more frustrating because this motorist was basically just playing "chicken" with myself and others out on the freeway for no apparent reason. Apparently that's how they were getting their kicks that particular day. Pretty sad.
 
There are probably tens of millions of drivers in the U.S. that shouldn't be behind the wheel. And I'm not referring to the a-hole aggressive drivers that do it intentionally. I'm referring to the combination of an aging population that refuse to stop driving and their doctors that throw drugs at them for every little thing.

Just this Friday I was out front of my home talking to a longtime neighbor. He had a knee replaced 10 years ago and refused to take the rehab seriously. He wound up worse than before the replacement, can hardly walk or stand without holding onto something. Well, his 'good' knee started giving him problems and he went back to the doctor. The surgeon, probably not wanting to even get involved with him again since he was so non compliant the first time, just gave him some Percocet. Well, while speaking with this neighbor I realized he's on the verge of hallucinations, the crazy things he was talking about. And he also laughed when telling me that when he went out to dinner the night before, the parking valet had to physically lift his leg into his pickup truck for him.

It's bad with all the texting drivers, add old age and drugs to the mix and I'm sometimes thinking it's almost not worth the risk to ride anymore. We're on the road with these people who are completely out of it!
 
The only thing that makes riding in freeway traffic reasonable in Seattle is the carpool lanes. Without them, I'd be better off riding my horse to work. It also helps to separate my bike from 80% of the traffic.
 
Back
Top