Babysitting a little CB

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
I have a nephew that lives in Nevada. Out there he rides an NC700. When he comes to visit, I usually lend him one of my bikes. When he came up to join us for the Men's Fall Trip 2 years ago I lent him my CB, while I rode my ST 1300.

He visited recently and decided he wanted his own bike to ride when he comes up here, so he picked up a lightly used CB500X and then asked if I would keep it in my garage and ride it once in awhile to keep it exercised for him? Sure would!

So now I have this CB500X in the garage to ride, which I did the other day for the first time.This is a bike I had considered moving down to for general riding around (along with an NC700 or a Suzuki SV650). I had heard good things about the little CB..willing motor, good handling etc. First impressions were the motor is a gem. Really smooth for a parallel twin and it pulls eagerly. It does need more rpms to get something done with 4500-5000 rpm seeming the norm. Freeway work requires 5500-6000 rpms. It purrs along at those rpms without breathing hard, and vibration free. Compared to a bigger bike like the CB1100, you do need to be in the right gear at all times. Let off the gas for something, you'd better down shift if you want to pull out the other side with any authority. It does feel very light weight when riding. Seating position and handlebar position is good as are the footpegs. Transmission up shifts well on this particular bike but I find downshifting kind of notchy. May just be this bike. Front brake is good for a single disc, rear brake not so much. Kind of soft. The little windshield does a pretty good job of keeping the wind off your stomach and chest, but it's not a touring screen and your head is in the wind all the time.

Even though it's an ADV style bike, with a pretty high seat height, and I'm a munchkin, it's narrow at the front seat allows me to get both feet down pretty well.

A rode it on country 2 lane, state highway 4 lane, and a short stretch of 4 lane divided freeway. It took it all in stride. A neat and fun little bike.

7ebf379ce16b045a5228186b3608094d.jpg


fa9f79a2339d8cbdd2cf6ba79fb44ac4.jpg
 
Dear Uncle Ferret,
Can you babysit my little CB too? Before you test ride it, all you have to do is finish my ignition project. I'll box up my replacement coils and condenser, gas tank and hardware. The new points are installed.
After your test ride, please wait until awhile to write your ride report. That will give you time for your pain to subside after you take a strong Ibuprofen with your hot tea.
Also, while you have my CB77, could you verify my CB has RLETs, NOT PLETS (plastic) as doubting Cormanus implied! :rofl:
PS: great ride report, sounds like a fun motorcycle to ride. Is that the same motorcycle Mrs. rickcb was riding in Berea? She was handling those twisties like a pro.

6cb7fcd1a40ae6e92aa36b9cddb71ce6.jpg
 
Thread starter
Django, have no idea if that little screen is adjustable, but it keeps the wind pressure off your chest, but not your head. No turbulence on the head though.

Suhawk... Don't need or want any projects lol.

PB.I've been a grandfather for 19 years. Got 5 of those little rascals now, 19, 16, 6, 4 and 2. (daughter has oldest 2, son has youngest 3)
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
Nice bike. I'd have one.

Remember when a CB500-Four was nearly considered a superbike? We have become jaded!

LOl I remember when I was riding an Aermacchi 50 and my older sister got a CB 160. Whoa was that a big bike lol. Then I got a 305 scrambler and was sure I would never need anything any bigger. Then a 350, then 450, then a 650 then a 750 then a 1000cc. Each time thinking that was all I needed. Now my little bike is 1100cc and my big bike 1300cc. Jaded indeed. A 500 seems so little and barely capable lol, even though it would do 90% of everything asked of it.
 
I’ll bet the screen is at least somewhat adjustable just from looking at the mounting bracket for it. Looks like it could be moved up. At least from the holes I see.
 
Not sure about the 500, but a few years ago I rented a NC750X for ten days and its screen wasn't adjustable. But it did come off, which is precisely what I did with it. As quickly as I could.
 
Thread starter
I went out and looked and it appears the shield may be raised 1 3/4" by changing bolt locations in the brackets. Not going to try it though.
 
You are a very lucky man, Ferret. I'm the only rider in my family, so the chance of a relative asking me to babysit a bike is just about zero.
 
Thread starter
LOl at last count I think we had 13 riders in the family. Sometimes at family get together's it looks like a used motorcycle shop.
 
...I was just rethinking about bike-sitting and wonder if I could borrow a very young crew to take care of my 2014 CB...I only have one bike so I am more than certain that this young professional team would have much less work than cleaning both CB & FJR ++ South of Canadian border :P
Will provide transportation, sleep over with security, cookies, lollipop, food, toys care and pocket money ....Cormanus and Popgun, can you point me in the right direction, please..:)
 
I picked up a 2014 CB500X to keep at my mountain house and absolutely love the bike. Upgraded the suspension front and rear and changed the rear sprocket (from a NC700) plus some decent dual sport tires. Result is a fantastic lightweight bike that has enough torque and power to go anywhere I want. Thoroughly enjoy riding it and get over 70 mpg. Will go anywhere on any road and quite at home on miles of gravel roads and forest service “paths”. Mistakenly got on the Interstate once, did fine but not my cup of tea, got off at the next exit and resumed my pleasure ride.
As far as I can tell the shield is useless. Keeps my gps dry.

Good taste in motorcycles seems to run in your family, undoubtedly a good example has been set.
 
When I returned to motorcycling after a 25 year hiatus, I bought a CB500XA for my 68th birthday. I really enjoyed the three summers I rode it. It had 33,000 kilometers on the odometer when I traded it in for my 2017 CB1100 EX.

It was light, nimble, had a comfortable riding position, and was surprizing strong for a 500cc motorcycle. The Pirelli tires allowed me to ride anywhere I pleased. I found first gear very short and learned to shift to second quickly. Bought a digital gear indicator so I could find second when down gearing for a city corner.

Like our CB1100s it had small rock hard handle grips, but Grip Puppies solved that. The seat was also uncomfortable after 2 hours of riding. Great gas mileage and range however.

Because I am tall, I bought a tall California Scientific windscreen for it that blocked the wind without any turbulence or noise.
 
Thread starter
Wow that is a serious windshield Nortoon.

I rode it down to the local shop and had some Michelin's put on it. Should handle well now lol.

Now, I have only ridden it twice, but I am obviously not a small bike person. It's ok I suppose, but having basically ridden mainly liter bikes and larger since 1977, it seems so small and gutless. It gets the job done, but that's about all I can say about it at this point.

More research to come. I need to get it out and run some curvy loops and she if it can impress there.
 
Back
Top