Avoiding Corona Virus

Thread starter
Very few cars out on my daily ride. Due to impending rain I was on the road early, rush hour so to speak. Roads were about empty. very few "distracted drivers" here.. very few drivers period.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Very few cars out on my daily ride. Due to impending rain I was on the road early, rush hour so to speak. Roads were about empty. very few "distracted drivers" here.. very few drivers period.
This is arguably a very "sweet" moment in modern times for road faring motorcycle riders. (albeit during a non-ideal circumstance)
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
Thanks, Gold. First morning back to the office after a week on the couch. Not feeling 100% yet, but going stir crazy, and work is stacking up in my shop.

Someone just put a sign that says "UNCLEAN" on my office door.

Raining anyway, so I can't ride, might as well go to work.
Feeling the love? :rofl:
 
I'm always "Patient Zero" in these circumstances. Childhood asthma growing up in LA in the 70s plus years of inhaling fuel and chemicals, etc has destroyed my ability to ward off any airborne illness. When anything like this happens, I'm usually treated with a great deal of suspicion.

I could clear my throat right now and empty the office.
 
Thread starter
Gone in 60_imp said:
I'm always "Patient Zero" in these circumstances. Childhood asthma growing up in LA in the 70s plus years of inhaling fuel and chemicals, etc has destroyed my ability to ward off any airborne illness. When anything like this happens, I'm usually treated with a great deal of suspicion.

I could clear my throat right now and empty the office.
:rofl:
 
Thread starter
wife just got a alert on her phone that gov of California just put a shelter in place order on the whole state. is this true?
 
Yup. Don't leave home except for vital necessities. No open businesses that require people to appear at work, I think he said. Probably except people to stock the toilet paper.
I didn't hear the whole thing. I know we are facing an uphill battle as this thing develops but this sounds a bit extreme.
Starting to sound like that old Monty Python sketch. "I feel happy!"

Ben
 
Funny, Ben. Just finished watching Life of Brian. Always look on the bright side of life! Heck, I can’t sleep.

Well, I’ve been stretching my toilet paper supply at home by saving my business for the office. Guess I’ll have to swipe a few rolls on the way out when I lock the shop up in the morning.

Yesterday I called the shop fixing my Triumph to see if they were still open. He said they had sent the sales guys home, but they figure their service department qualifies as vital to the upkeep of local transportation. Hope they can keep that up till I can get my bike home. Might have to trade it for food and Charmin once my vacation pay dries up.

My wife’s company is looking at providing tele-health services for Coronavirus screening. If they can pull it together it might provide a valuable service in what will be hard times, and help get us through it too.
 
Cool. Obviously our collective little diversion here is non-essential to the realities of the more serious challenges that lie before us. But it is important to maintain a connection to some semblance of normal, as well as a diversion from the onslaught of bad news.
So, we all have our little problems.
I called Don Guhl to see if he was doing business as usual. He had received my ECU but was a bit confused about what I wanted. I made the mistake of letting him in on my little project with a short note.
You would be surprised at how skeptical professionals who work around engines become when you tell them that Honda design engineers had built in a flaw which you are trying to fix.
He gave me the over the phone impression of a man glancing around while backing toward the door to avoid an encounter with a nutcase with questionable intent.
Don is a busy man, so I avoided the impulse for a lengthy explanation but invited him to check out the discussion on the forum.
I told him not to worry, just give me the regular with a Yosh on the side, no sour cream.
He accepted my credit card and assured me it would soon be headed my way.
In other news, no word from the cam man yet, he may be receiving it today. He may be shuttered. In any case I should soon have my ecu back so I can make an essential toilet paper run.

Ben
 
Quote:You would be surprised at how skeptical professionals who work around engines become when you tell them that Honda design engineers had built in a flaw which you are trying to fix.
That's funny, Ben. My last job was for a company that made sensors and data recording systems for race cars. My boss was a trained chassis engineer, who had formerly worked for a few OEMs. When we did work on on a car that had it's suspension modified in a way that he didn't approve of, he'd usually rant "Well, Ford (or whomever) spent millions of dollars and testing miles to design this car to handle perfectly. But, I guess this guy (whomever modified it) must be some sort of genius who knows something they don't know!"
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Quote:You would be surprised at how skeptical professionals who work around engines become when you tell them that Honda design engineers had built in a flaw which you are trying to fix.
That's funny, Ben. My last job was for a company that made sensors and data recording systems for race cars. My boss was a trained chassis engineer, who had formerly worked for a few OEMs. When we did work on on a car that had it's suspension modified in a way that he didn't approve of, he'd usually rant "Well, Ford (or whomever) spent millions of dollars and testing miles to design this car to handle perfectly. But, I guess this guy (whomever modified it) must be some sort of genius who knows something they don't know!"
It happens. A few years back I read a book on the construction of the Panama Canal: David McCullough's "The Path Between the Seas". Very good.

Previous to and during the time of construction, some in the medical community began to suggest that mosquitos were the carriers of malaria and yellow fever, when the prevailing idea was that these were simply airborn diseases.

I found this quote chilling:

"And all the while, [while they were trying to figure out causes of malaria] in the lovely gardens surrounding the hospital, thousands of ring-shaped pottery dishes filled with water to protect plants and flowers from ants provided perfect breeding places for mosquitoes. Even in the sick wards themselves the legs of the beds were placed in shallow basins of water, again to keep the ants away, and there were no screens in any of the windows or doors."

Suggestions that they should eliminate mosquito breeding grounds were scoffed at until the idea of mosquitos as carriers was proved and accepted. It is estimated that some 14,000 construction workers lost their lives to malaria / yellow fever.

So...sometimes...in some instances...the "quacks" may have a point.
 
So, we sat at work today, wrestling with what to do... could we sneak one person into the office at a time, just to monitor phones and handle incoming/outgoing packages? We can't get sick if only one of us is here at a time, right? What if the people coming in parked down the street, so it wouldn't look like anyone was in the building...
"Hey, Chris, if you rode to work, you could hide your motorcycle inside the shop..."

A police helicopter made wide circles over our office neighborhood for a while. Probably just looking for someone, but we thought "Are they starting to watch what offices and shops have cars out front, and have people going in and out?"

"Why is that parking lot still full over there?"
"Those guys make medical devices. They're probably still able to stay open."
"Yeah, but what about those other guys over on the other side? They make vape pens. That's not vital, is it?"

Finally, we just figured it was best to follow the rules, send everyone home and wait it out. Just put the "Closed by State Order" sign on the door when I locked up. God Bless everyone...
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
So, we sat at work today, wrestling with what to do... could we sneak one person into the office at a time, just to monitor phones and handle incoming/outgoing packages? We can't get sick if only one of us is here at a time, right? What if the people coming in parked down the street, so it wouldn't look like anyone was in the building...
"Hey, Chris, if you rode to work, you could hide your motorcycle inside the shop..."

A police helicopter made wide circles over our office neighborhood for a while. Probably just looking for someone, but we thought "Are they starting to watch what offices and shops have cars out front, and have people going in and out?"

"Why is that parking lot still full over there?"
"Those guys make medical devices. They're probably still able to stay open."
"Yeah, but what about those other guys over on the other side? They make vape pens. That's not vital, is it?"

Finally, we just figured it was best to follow the rules, send everyone home and wait it out. Just put the "Closed by State Order" sign on the door when I locked up. God Bless everyone...
Wrong.
 
Yup, that plus just simply following the new law was the deciding factor.

Among the myriad of emails I’ve received from local businesses voicing their concern for the virus and what they are doing to stay safe (hotels, restaurants etc), one is from a motorcycle dealer I patronize from time to time. They have cleaned and sanitized, etc. They’re still open for service, but have closed their showroom except to those who make an appointment. A glimmer of continued support for the two wheel community in hard times.
 
Going over the California governor’s information, he mentioned “public shaming” as a form of enforcement that would be called upon.

That’s a little vague.
 
The world is surely coming to an end ;-(

I don't know if this is true or not....but it was on the internet so it must be true lol

19c9c18c4fba97886f0bd72b238f988f.png


8f5fc194fd8dd4467ed617e3c1d70396.png
 
Back
Top