Austin to Terlingua

ishouldbuyatacotruck_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hi y'all! I'm planning my first solo trip this fall from Austin to Terlingua. Nothing crazy, just over 1,000 miles round trip. Giving myself plenty of time to get there - I think this will be my route.

Day 1 - Austin to Del Rio
Day 2 - Del Rio to Terlingua
Day 3 - Tooling Around Big Bend
Day 4 - Terlingua to Rocksprings
Day 5 - Rocksprings to Austin

68fe832bf228187e67bded80bb84d917.png


I'm looking through the forum to get recommendations for tank and tail bags, and I'm sure I'll post photos, but if y'all have any tips, I'd welcome them! I'm planning to hit the road in early November.

Some questions:
[ul] [li]What size extra fuel tank should I carry, if at all?[/li] [li]Best headphones?[/li] [li]Are our tires readily available? I'm so worried about a flat.
[/li][/ul]
Thanks y'all!
 
Should be an awesome ride. That part of Texas is beautiful and has some wonderful roads. Take a ride on 170 to Lajitas and west along the river.
 
Tourmaster and Cortech make some great magnetic tank bags and strap on tail bags, or you might consider a dry bag ($12 or $14 for the last one I bought) from Wally World and some rok straps to put across the back of your seat

I wouldn't think you'd need extra fuel but I'm not familiar with the area. make extra gas stops if you have to ie: don't pass up a gas station if you are the least bit worried about running out.

Our tires are not readily available. If you are not familiar with the procedure for fixing a flat on the road or have a plug kit and compressor. At least join the AMA or AAA to get some tow coverage to the nearest dealership.
 
Bose QC20 in ear noice cancelling ear phones. They kill two birds with one stone. A dry bag’s as good as anything. SW Motech make good ones, but they’re more than $15.
 
I bought one of the inexpensive dry bags from WalMart and it worked just fine. As ferret stated, the Cortech-Tourmaster luggage is moderately priced and does the job.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
How does one "wall" all that in?
Don't need to in this sector. Nature is formidable enough in the form of the Chihuahuan Desert and the Santa Elena Canyon and Escarpment. From what I saw, nobody's walking across this part of the border. If somebody does manage to cross the desert, they're going to have a problem at the checkpoints well north of the border, positioned along every route that heads out of the area.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Tourmaster and Cortech make some great magnetic tank bags and strap on tail bags, or you might consider a dry bag ($12 or $14 for the last one I bought) from Wally World and some rok straps to put across the back of your seat

I wouldn't think you'd need extra fuel but I'm not familiar with the area. make extra gas stops if you have to ie: don't pass up a gas station if you are the least bit worried about running out.

Our tires are not readily available. If you are not familiar with the procedure for fixing a flat on the road or have a plug kit and compressor. At least join the AMA or AAA to get some tow coverage to the nearest dealership.
Thanks Ferret! I think I like this bag for my tank - something simple that can keep my phone/map in front of me.

I don't think I'm super worried about gas - there are plenty of stations around. But just in case, I might order something small to keep with me when I go into the park. Something like [url=https://smile.amazon.com/REDA-Innovations-Fuel-Can-RGC1001/dp/B003WHBVDI/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2F5X5LXLOHX1S&keywords=motorcycle+gas+can&qid=1569796210&s=gateway&sprefix=motorcycle+gas%2Caps%2C168&sr=8-2]this one should work.

I'm not familiar with the flat-fixing process, but I'm sure I can study up between now and then. Curious, does [url=https://smile.amazon.com/Slime-10011-Emergency-Sealant-Trailer/dp/B000C11PYW/ref=sxin_5_osp64-2c6f53aa_cov?ascsubtag=2c6f53aa-87df-48af-be48-378552801008&creativeASIN=B000C11PYW&crid=2QE6UZPO1M87J&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osp.2c6f53aa-87df-48af-be48-378552801008&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&keywords=motorcycle+tire+plug+kit&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B000C11PYW&pd_rd_r=d012639a-e0ed-4107-9936-9c476905aed5&pd_rd_w=YA6Dr&pd_rd_wg=LE6Yt&pf_rd_p=53eff971-6e12-4016-9864-b6dfd929b2b3&pf_rd_r=CFDD1FFQC0DS7E12TZFN&qid=1569796273&s=gateway&sprefix=motorcycle+tire+plug%2Caps%2C165&tag=fsmag_os-20]this slime stuff work, in your opinion?
 
Im not sure about the slime, have never used it. I dont think mechanics care for changing slimed tires though. Maybe some other forum members have tried it and could advise you on that.

Those small tank bags come in real handy, just dont leave your phone in the clear plastic map case in the direct sun for too long. My nephew did that and his phone overheated and stopped working until it cooled down.
 
Regarding your strategy for repairing(temporarily) a roadside flat on your trip...consider that Wally's World has a tubeless tire kit(the one with the T-handles is my recommendation) that contains a "reamer" to prepare the nail type hole after extracting the nail(probably need a plier for that)...and then another T-handle tool that has an eye on the shank of tool to insert the "gummy-worm" to which has been liberally slathered with the "tire-gummy-glue"...for further details read kit instructions...to get the tire reasonably inflated...order online a CO2 cartridge kit that has an air chuck & multiple CO2 cartridges to air up the flat tire with the "gummy-plug" inserted into the nail hole...read carefully & follow instructions about using the CO2 cartridges as they will freeze your skin should you not wear gloves or other protection on cartridges while they discharge into tire...this procedure does not require you to unscrew the valve-core from tire as would be required using the liquid Slime...if your are still thinking about Slime...perhaps you should also check out a product called Ride-On...from my reading...and I have used Ride-On...but did not have a flat to check its effectiveness...however,...I have had roadside flats repaired using the GUMMY-WORM PROCEDURE/AIR-CHUCK/CO2 CARTRIDGES PROCEDURE to good results...even when having to use two "worms" in a large nail hole in center tread area...JUST A THOUGHT FOR YOU TO CONSIDER!...looks like a fine trip planned!!
 
silverbub_imp said:
Regarding your strategy for repairing(temporarily) a roadside flat on your trip...consider that Wally's World has a tubeless tire kit(the one with the T-handles is my recommendation) that contains a "reamer" to prepare the nail type hole after extracting the nail(probably need a plier for that)...and then another T-handle tool that has an eye on the shank of tool to insert the "gummy-worm" to which has been liberally slathered with the "tire-gummy-glue"...for further details read kit instructions...to get the tire reasonably inflated...order online a CO2 cartridge kit that has an air chuck & multiple CO2 cartridges to air up the flat tire with the "gummy-plug" inserted into the nail hole...read carefully & follow instructions about using the CO2 cartridges as they will freeze your skin should you not wear gloves or other protection on cartridges while they discharge into tire...this procedure does not require you to unscrew the valve-core from tire as would be required using the liquid Slime...if your are still thinking about Slime...perhaps you should also check out a product called Ride-On...from my reading...and I have used Ride-On...but did not have a flat to check its effectiveness...however,...I have had roadside flats repaired using the GUMMY-WORM PROCEDURE/AIR-CHUCK/CO2 CARTRIDGES PROCEDURE to good results...even when having to use two "worms" in a large nail hole in center tread area...JUST A THOUGHT FOR YOU TO CONSIDER!...looks like a fine trip planned!!
I agree, good kit. Repaired a tire on my truck using this and it held for the life of the tire.
 
Looks like a fun ride. Back in the day, 1971 to be sure, I rode a '70 Triumph Bonnie from Ft. Hood down to Corpus Christie and back. When they say it's floodin' down in Texas, they tellin' the truth! Water on the road flowing from one field to another was hub-deep. I am moving to TX from SoCal next year to be closer to my son and his family, near Ft. Worth. Looking forward to riding there.
 
Back
Top