Aussieflyer's Cafe Racer - part 5

Yep great looking bike and the new pipes look great as well. Hard to go wrong with a pair of reverse cones. Bet it sounds wild.
 
Beautiful aussieflyer. :thumbsup:
 
really great work and thanks for the fabrication photo's
would love to convert my wheels to tubeless so let us know how that turned out ? any leaks ?
 
Thread starter
use2b_imp said:
really great work and thanks for the fabrication photo's
would love to convert my wheels to tubeless so let us know how that turned out ? any leaks ?
It's been almost two years since the conversion, done about 7,000kms, had one puncture that I plugged about 5,000kms ago, and recently fitted new tyres - no leaks at all. The Outex conversion kit works perfectly but it is difficult to fit on the front wheel due to the narrow rim, the rear wheel is very easy. Although I have found this product to be reliable I should mention that I do not clean the bike with any solvents / bike washes etc. There may be potential for those types of harsh chemicals to the penetrate the wheel around the spoke nipple which could cause the adhesive tapes used in the conversion process to weaken - just one of those possibilities. Water and gentle car wash type detergents has not caused me any issues.
 
Bike is gorgeous AUSSIEFLYER! I’m digging for part numbers on the complete spoke wheel conversion but as of now,no luck. I’ve got a price on hubs but that’s about it,I’ve been in touch with the supporting vender,Mr. T asking for part numbers but as of now he wants to sell me the whole setup,I would buy this but I have specifics in mind for the wheels,somethings he might not offer. So far the info I’ve gathered is spoke hubs from a 2014,rear brake caliper bracket from a spoke hub and the brake line for the relocated rear caliper. Now on the collars made for the thinner axel can’t I use the chain adjusters for the spoke hub axel? I keep running into road blocks on part numbers but I keep digging I’ll find what I’m looking for. Now,what U.S. market had spoke wheels besides 2017?
 
There was no 2010-2016 CB1100 in the USA that had spoked wheels. The 2017 model is the first.
 
Dunno how this thread has alluded me for so long, but better late than never.

Absolutely stunning build Aussieflyer. The attention to detail, and overall presence of the bike is near perfect. I think that between beardyweirdy and yourself, y'all have the two most incredible CB1100s in the world. At least that I have seen.
 
Hey Aussieflyer,

Those handlebars look nice, how do they feel?
I've been looking for a good set of cafe style bars, but have heard clip-ons hit the tank on the CB and looking for a good cafe style seat.

Thanks!
 
Thread starter
Thanks dbarkdoll. I’m also gobsmacked at bierdy’s bike, it is very cool.

Hey Carlos they are just a set of ‘clubman’ bars and the switch gear clears the tank by only 1/8”. Somewhere earlier in the post I put a picture of the bars with dimensions to show how they also need to fit around the gauges - it’s all quite tight with no room to spare. I did try some clip ons but wasn’t happy with the appearance. They are now my current project cb400 track bike so they haven’t gone to waste like a lot of stuff does when you experiment with bike parts.
 
Now, that's a very good idea Bheezy. Come along now, Aussieflyer. Let's see it.
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
Thanks dbarkdoll. I’m also gobsmacked at bierdy’s bike, it is very cool.

Hey Carlos they are just a set of ‘clubman’ bars and the switch gear clears the tank by only 1/8”. Somewhere earlier in the post I put a picture of the bars with dimensions to show how they also need to fit around the gauges - it’s all quite tight with no room to spare. I did try some clip ons but wasn’t happy with the appearance. They are now my current project cb400 track bike so they haven’t gone to waste like a lot of stuff does when you experiment with bike parts.
Hey!! Firstly, i have to mention how sweet that bike is!! New to the forum and have been searching for some information! I was thinking of getting some clip on or clubman handlebars. Did you have any clearance issues with your clip ons and which ones did you go with? My first choice would be with clip ons but havent been able to find anyone mentioning both which ones they bought and if they cleared the gas tank.

Thanks!
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
art 5

Painted and ready to ride. The original bike was blue which I liked but wanted to customise the colour using a darker blue pearl with large blue metal flake plus a couple of silver frost stripes. In all but bright sunlight the bike looks black but under bright light you can see the blue flick.





So that's where the bike is at today which I metioned earlier to be at about 95% of stage one. To complete stage one the side covers will be repainted with a new CB1100 decal fitted, braided brake and clutch lines, and a fibregalss shortened front fender (with the two stripes). Stage two will simply be the wire wheels off a 2014 model.
Who knows what stage three will be however I am sure that something will come to mind ... maybe new rear suspension, any suggestions?

Love to see some of your bikes and share ideas.

Cheers
Aussieflyer

Love this bike, well done!
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
use2b_imp said:
really great work and thanks for the fabrication photo's
would love to convert my wheels to tubeless so let us know how that turned out ? any leaks ?
It's been almost two years since the conversion, done about 7,000kms, had one puncture that I plugged about 5,000kms ago, and recently fitted new tyres - no leaks at all. The Outex conversion kit works perfectly but it is difficult to fit on the front wheel due to the narrow rim, the rear wheel is very easy. Although I have found this product to be reliable I should mention that I do not clean the bike with any solvents / bike washes etc. There may be potential for those types of harsh chemicals to the penetrate the wheel around the spoke nipple which could cause the adhesive tapes used in the conversion process to weaken - just one of those possibilities. Water and gentle car wash type detergents has not caused me any issues.
It's been almost two years since the conversion, done about 7,000kms, had one puncture that I plugged about 5,000kms ago, and recently fitted new tyres - no leaks at all. The Outex conversion kit works perfectly but it is difficult to fit on the front wheel due to the narrow rim, the rear wheel is very easy. Although I have found this product to be reliable I should mention that I do not clean the bike with any solvents / bike washes etc. There may be potential for those types of harsh chemicals to the penetrate the wheel around the spoke nipple which could cause the adhesive tapes used in the conversion process to weaken - just one of those possibilities. Water and gentle car wash type detergents has not caused me any issues.
Good Day, Congratulation on your Modification.
Very nice wheels!!
I intend to convert my 2017 w/spoke wheels to "tubeless".
I have 2 questions in regards to your wheel & tire set up.
Is the spoke wheel the same as the 2017 CB1100 w/spokes?
What Tire brand & size are you using or recommending?
Thanks
 
Thread starter
Hi Alain.
I think the wheels are same however someone with a parts manual might be able to confirm.
Tyres are Metzeler Z8 Interact in standard size. I'm very happy with their performance and recommend them. My only criteria for tyres is grip, I don't ride enough to care about mileage. With only 5,000km on these tyres the front still looks new and the rear is just starting to show signs of wear ... if you look real hard!
The Outex product works really well. Commence with the rear wheel as it's the easiest. The front is more difficult due the very narrow valley with limited room around each spoke nipple. Overall the project is well worth the trouble.
Cheers AF
 
Thread starter
Almost four years since my last update and I notice that previous images are not showing anymore, Photobucket restrictions, yes I'm slow eh!
Bikes are all about personal pleasure, no need to explain or justify, just do what makes you happy. My bike and I have had a great relationship but I needed to add a little spark. The colour scheme had to change. Encouraged by a mishap I had on the twisty backroads a new look was borne! The history:
1 - Factory originally blue, then
2 - Extremely dark blue with silver stripes, then
3 - Pearl blue with white stripe and ornate pinstripes, now
4 - Metallic black with pepper white stripe and gold pinstripes.
Feeling good about how it's looking, no changes planned, for now ...

Below is how it looks now
94d7d2f6fb7c2ed2f1815faed3b79db0.jpg


35943155d843bfad9e027e911c284f77.jpg


5c6d8d2a460cc9ebb6438ddafb656f55.jpg


13fdae09fce443510594e0df2ca2e714.jpg


043ee739edd932450cc552ad55d08c6e.jpg


dc3f0f7b5bd77721862748d451d42a6d.jpg


Below parked in front of local biker bar / pub
177fc1f4e75aa90eedec791537353f89.jpg


Below homemade panier support LHS
dae63cf65eb7a49c5491685ab13780ed.jpg


Below homemade panier support RHS
1d69bdf71bd5a6ee45a4fd43f7b6080b.jpg


Below ready to tour with Cormanus and Pterodactyl
f8db7fd72f7389cd5d2226ae5a8d4013.jpg


Below is the previous colour scheme - pearl blue with white stripe and ornate pinstripes

c2702263adc22b2a8afb51e389e10a7c.jpg


397eb3a71f8d862e68a4af5324beb7cd.jpg


Below is the first custom colour scheme - extremely dark blue with silver stripes
a7fb1be63b681de97baa35d4ba0a4f20.jpg


f9450578f03ad97f45a6af7cd9189886.jpg
 
Back
Top