Aussieflyer's Cafe Racer - part 5

Aussieflyer

Been there
Thread starter
art 5

Painted and ready to ride. The original bike was blue which I liked but wanted to customise the colour using a darker blue pearl with large blue metal flake plus a couple of silver frost stripes. In all but bright sunlight the bike looks black but under bright light you can see the blue flick.





So that's where the bike is at today which I metioned earlier to be at about 95% of stage one. To complete stage one the side covers will be repainted with a new CB1100 decal fitted, braided brake and clutch lines, and a fibregalss shortened front fender (with the two stripes). Stage two will simply be the wire wheels off a 2014 model.
Who knows what stage three will be however I am sure that something will come to mind ... maybe new rear suspension, any suggestions?

Love to see some of your bikes and share ideas.

Cheers
Aussieflyer
 
I'll second Ferret on that one, that is the cleanest Cafe bike I have seen. Your hard work really paid off. I like cafe bikes, but as Ferret said, you don't see craftsmanship like that every day.

In my humble opinion, once you have the fender and wheels as you like them, you are done, at least with the cosmetic side of things. Are you planning any other engine mods?

Well done sir, my hat is off to you. :beerchug:
 
Wow... To repeat what was said: Hats off to you and your mates! Very tastefully done.

How do you find the clubman bars?

Happy oz day BTW :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
 
G'day Aussieflyer. Fantastic job. Well done.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for the compliments guys, very much appreciated, and glad you like it.
Good suggestion Ferret, I will look into powder coating the rear foot pegs and assembly along with the headlight bracket which was on my to do list.
Ari, the clubman bars are perfect for me as I do feel more comfortable and "in control" with lower bars. If you are contemplating clubman bars will need to watch out for the width of the inner arc and the length of each side of the handlebar. The inner arc needs to clear the instrument cluster and the length of each bar must fit the grips and levers. As the clutch master cyclinder has a very long banjo bolt it comes very close to the instrument cases ... ensure your bars are wide enough and around 700mm is about right. Obviously you'll also be selecting the correct tube size - 7/8".
 
Thanks Aussieflyer. I feel the same with lower bars. Better control over the front end. Cheers.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
... yeah you are right, about an hour before I wanna get off and stretch my legs. Today I rode with the standard seat fitted and felt like my rear end was perched on a cloud! I will be doing something about improving the upholstery for a more comfortable seat.
 
Looks amazing, Im thinking in cafeterar mine as well and when I saw the post,
I thought wl be cool to get an idea but.....Cannot open the pictures!!!!
Brrrrrr....
Please send me the pics, I'm really intetested in see your work with the bike, can help me a lot.
Thanks,
Jose.
 
Hi Aussieflyer,
Bike is beautiful.
Seat, color.....
How is ride the bike with cafe racer handlebar?
I can imagine ride position change a lot but I see on the pics you didn't change foodpegs position.
You did a good job, didn't get mine yet, probably during this week, wl start make my own cafe asap.
Wl keep you posted.
Btw....
Wich size is the handlebar?
On the pics looks much shorter than the original one.
Once you change, need change as well all the cables system, front brake, clutch etc or use the originals?
Rizoma mirrors?
Sorry, I'm asking too much:-)
Best regards,
Btw, just back from Australia few weeks ago, I went couple of weeks, we have a really good time, did Gold Coast with family and was a great experience, you guys have an amazing country.
 
Looks great! Like a super model I might not want to Be the caretaker, but I can appreciate the beauty. Excellent workmanship on that build.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
Jose -
Seat is home made from fiberglass see below. Colour is something I concocted with the local auto paint shop, a very dark pearl blue with large blue metal flake.
Clubman bars are perfect for me as I much prefer the forward lean to bars over the standard upright seating position. Picture below showing diminsions. I would recommend a slightly wider bar to provide more room between brake banjo bolts and the instrument cluster. I have not changed the cables nor hydraulic lines as I was able to route them without any kinks however shorter front brake lines would be desireable. I have a set of braided front lines on order.
I am still experimenting with foot peg position however at this stage it feels OK. I tend to ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs so perhaps if the pegs were rearward by 75-100mm it would work also. I'll ride more miles before making any changes.

Seat construction:
My friend Mick making the base plate to fit frame tubes-


Fitting a ring around the base plate to give illusion of a flat frame for lower rear end-
[url=http://s121.photobucket.com/user/aussieflyer1100/media/Motorcycles/CB1100%20Cafe%20Racer%20Build/03deck_base_ring_2_zps6ba0148b.jpg.html]

Foam blocks ready for carving to shape -
[url=http://s121.photobucket.com/user/aussieflyer1100/media/Motorcycles/CB1100%20Cafe%20Racer%20Build/04deck_base_foam_block_1_zps2c0fbee5.jpg.html]

Spash guard moulded from original rear fender -
[url=http://s121.photobucket.com/user/aussieflyer1100/media/Motorcycles/CB1100%20Cafe%20Racer%20Build/05splash_guard_1_zps9bd95209.jpg.html]

Cut out for mini rear lamp -
[url=http://s121.photobucket.com/user/aussieflyer1100/media/Motorcycles/CB1100%20Cafe%20Racer%20Build/07tail_lamp_1_zps7d237ce8.jpg.html]

Ready for under coat -
[url=http://s121.photobucket.com/user/aussieflyer1100/media/Motorcycles/CB1100%20Cafe%20Racer%20Build/10undercoat_zpsb13295c1.jpg.html]

Clubman bars (if possible get wider handgrip sections ~ 25 or 26cm):
[url=http://s121.photobucket.com/user/aussieflyer1100/media/Motorcycles/CB1100%20Cafe%20Racer%20Build/Third_Gear_Clubman_Specs__16771_zoom_zpscb26431b.jpg.html]

I can't remember the brand of the mirrors but there are plenty out there which will do the job, just a matter of what you like.
 
Aussieflyer,
Very cool, send my congrats to Mick, this guy is an artist, well done.
Thanks for the information, helps me a lot, especially handlebars specs.
Please, keep me posted about foot pegs issue, wl be good get your experience comments.
Best regards,
Jose.
 
Looks awesome. Ohlins on the rear all the way. I had my springs painted black on my Sportster. They smoothed out the ride immensely. Hagon's did not help my Nighthawk. Ikons would be ok as well.
 
Back
Top