Asahi Panniers + Givi SR1118

b12thechank_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
First post, hello everyone just a update from a post I saw like 1 or 2 years ago so not sure if it is still relevant or if anyone already did this, couldn't find a post that did. First time seeing these forums was when I was looking for saddle bags and got pointed out to a thread started by tomas (Samurider Paniers-review + pictures), which btw thank you very much tomas went with the accessories because I thought the end result pics on your post were the $h!7. Pretty much got the same setup as far as windscreen and panniers, no regrets til recently at 12k miles feeling like I needed more trunk space on my daily commute. So to the point, someone asked if theres any way to get a rear rack connected with the Asahi Panniers since the description on them states can't use with rear rack, assumed it only meant the Honda OEM, with an extra pair of 65mm m8x1.25 screws, same length and size as the rear set of screws that come with the panniers, to replace the front set the Givi SR1118 for the 2013-2014 cb's fit perfectly & handles my full 205lb bearing weight at the end of the rack, wouldn't test that on the panniers though. the rack adds like an extra 1/5th of an inch distance for the panniers on both sides, which I felt was needed but at the same time didn't feel or look like its any wider. Just if anyone was interested, and a long hello :P. Sorry about the lighting, only time I get to work on it is past 9pm. Just need to get a top case to match now :)
 
Good to know. Thanks for the update.
 
Thread starter
just my luck, few days after I get it installed I get sandwiched in between a pickup truck from my right that pushes and grinds me along an suv on the left. won't have this setup for a while and gonna be rockin a givi case lookin like a pizza delivery guy for a while. But gotta say, if anyones interested in saddle bags that will save your legs &/or your life, these panniers will do it. another month til hopefully my insurance covers it, 100% getting another set as I don't think I'd be standing today if they weren't there.
 
that stinks....Glad you are okay though....
 
Lane splitting were ya?
 
ahh it's perfectly safe ...see he didn't get rear ended

That stinks, but good that they were able to protect you a bit.
 
In California we can lane split but it isn't always the safest thing to do. It's a big part of what makes bikes so attractive to me here though. Save a huge amount of time under the right conditions.
 
ryanschillinger_imp said:
In California we can lane split but it isn't always the safest thing to do. It's a big part of what makes bikes so attractive to me here though. Save a huge amount of time under the right conditions.
Yea it was just a friendly jab at the forum members who say how safe splitting is because you are less likely to get rear ended (but fluffed off the fact that you are more likely to get side swiped which has actually happened to 2 of our members now).
 
Gotcha haha yeah I have to get out of the way of sport bike riders and overly ambitious guys on Harley's with narrow bars regularly. Some guys just fly down the middle of the lanes there and I just don't see how they would be able to slow down or move if needed.
 
Looks nice. No lane splitting here in Mass. These drivers are crazy. I passed a lady the other day who spent at least 70% of the time looking at her phone! Even if lane splitting were legal, these people now drift all over the place.
 
Back
Top